KNIPEX

Dec. 17, 2015, 9:43 p.m.

I have a pliers-wrench sitting on my desk right now. It has "MADE IN GERMANY" right on the casting, and on the handles too.
I think it's safe to say that's where they're actually made.:D

They are very nice, and have caused the retirement of channel lock pliers, a couple crescent wrenches, and smaller pipe wrenches.
Certainly no replacement for a full on wrench or socket set, though.
Amazon.ca seems to have the best price, or they did when I got mine.

Not Knipex, but still interesting, is this hex key set I got recently… Wiha Magic Ring ball end hex keys They were on sale when I bought them, but don't seem to be now. Wiha often has sales though. Usually 30-50% off.

Ok great, they should defiantly make that clear on their site

look thru their history it states they are manufactured in their factory and produce 35,000 units a day .

Thanks, Still don't see it, I must be looking at all the wrong pages
http://knipex-tools.com/de/about-us/knipex-in-germany/

Chainsmoker 8)

Dec. 17, 2015, 10:29 p.m.

Ok great, they should defiantly make that clear on their site

Thanks, Still don't see it, I must be looking at all the wrong pages
http://knipex-tools.com/de/about-us/knipex-in-germany/

http://www.knipex.com/en/the-company/our-history/

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 17, 2015, 10:55 p.m.

I already have channel locks.

Dec. 18, 2015, 6:23 a.m.

I already have channel locks.

knipex makes better ones. one journeyman at work has like the 32 inch model they're friggin monsters.

Speaking of sockets, I saw this in the Canadian Tire sale flyer and thought it looked like a good set for the home mechanic.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-400-piece-socket-set-0589295p.html#.VnOE3cpp_NU

I got that kit well over 10 years ago and its still going strong, I had to replace the 1/2" ad 1/4" ratchet once, although the last time the canadian tire lady didnt believe that i wasnt a mechanic.. "are you sure you didnt do this at work?" fuck off lady give me my ratchet

^Too tooly and shit. All ready have a full set of combo wrenches and those GearWrench flex heads as well.

I bought this when it was on sale. I recall it being under $200. Picked up a Proto 1/2" Ratchet driver to go along with them. Will get a Impact at some point in the future. Thinking a Milwaukee M18 1/2" that thing is tiny!

get the m18 fuel 1/2 gun. that thing will snap grade 8 half inch bolts! puts the snap on electric impact to shame for 1/3 the price.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 18, 2015, 6:49 a.m.

Having lots of cheap shit like that, I'd peg it's worth more in the $150 range.

the mastercraft socket/wrench stuff is pretty good quality. and with the lifetime warranty it's hard to go wrong. sure some of the stuff they sell is pretty cheap shit, but they do sell some good things at a great price.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 18, 2015, 7:02 a.m.

This is a bit of a long shot, even for NBR.

I love me some good quality tools. Anyone here have Knipex plier wrenches? Lots of praise on the searching I've done and it seems they can replace a metric shitton of sockets, and it works better than all of them.

edit

first look i didn't see the ratcheting type knipex - now i may have to buy one.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 18, 2015, 7:29 a.m.

get the m18 fuel 1/2 gun. that thing will snap grade 8 half inch bolts! puts the snap on electric impact to shame for 1/3 the price.

I'm going the M18 fuel route. I just hope they come out with a framing nailer before I start building next year.

Dec. 18, 2015, 7:31 a.m.

the mastercraft socket/wrench stuff is pretty good quality

Yep.. Most of my stuff is from them and Sears purchased under the 450% off sales…

Dec. 18, 2015, 8:55 a.m.

I checked out their website, although they are not shy to repeatedly state they are German based I could not find any info pertaining to where they are manufactured.

This forging says "Made in Germany"

The handle on this one says "Made in Germany" but not the forging:

This one doesn't say it on the handle or forging:

It might depend on the model.

Dec. 18, 2015, 9:13 a.m.

We have them in the tool boxes at work. They get used. A lot.

As others have stated no replacment for open ends and a set of sockets but very handy.

I wouldn't really use them on a stuck fastener but for day to day stuff they work very well. I just used them yesterday to pull some caps off of the sander tanks under the train.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Dec. 18, 2015, 11 a.m.

Knipex is basically a 25 km ride away, and from work just a couple of km. Literally just around the corner.

Once a year they have a sort of open house and sell cheap, at least below msrp.

Awesome stuff. Expensive but awesome.

Could bring some next time I am around. Smaller stuff should be no problem. A colleague of mine is really into Knipex. Knows a few workers and always knows when they sell at their main factory.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 18, 2015, 11:14 a.m.

I've got a pair of the 95 61 190 Wire Rope Cutters. They are the bee's knee's for cutting cables and housing.

The pliers wrench are high up the list of next tool to purchase list.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216[HTML_REMOVED]L=1[HTML_REMOVED]page=group_detail[HTML_REMOVED]parentID=1371[HTML_REMOVED]groupID=1438

Dec. 18, 2015, 3:14 p.m.

when i did a wheel building course at THE BIKE ROOM there was a few sets there , very nice tools , I have always liked the European hand tools . Being a machinist by trade 75% of all my tools are either from Japan or Germany , England etc.

WERA makes nice stuff as well same with Hazat

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 18, 2015, 5:23 p.m.

There are so few tools that I'd buy that are Snap-On branded. Electric tools isn't one of them. Torque wrenches and ratchet drivers the other, maybe.
Yeah that might be the one. I always see a Fuel in the KMS catalog looks huge. Need to go fondle one day. And not bitch out and get 5Ah batteries. I didn't believe my coworkers M18 was 1/2" drive

Reducti doesn't Mili have a nail gun yet? I guess you want the battery compatibility.

For Black Friday Sale at CT I picked up a MC 1/2" breaker bar with a 24" handle for $10.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 18, 2015, 5:33 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBvRBvYcbs0