KNIPEX

Dec. 17, 2015, 6:28 p.m.

This is a bit of a long shot, even for NBR.

I love me some good quality tools. Anyone here have Knipex plier wrenches? Lots of praise on the searching I've done and it seems they can replace a metric shitton of sockets, and it works better than all of them.

Dec. 17, 2015, 6:35 p.m.

This is a bit of a long shot, even for NBR.

I love me some good quality tools. Anyone here have Knipex plier wrenches? Lots of praise on the searching I've done and it seems they can replace a metric shitton of sockets, and it works better than all of them.

Pliers are not a replacement for sockets.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 17, 2015, 6:51 p.m.

The people who gush over Knipex beg to differ. I've never used one and they're German made so I'm holding out for longer.

(I'm not talking impact sockets)

Dec. 17, 2015, 6:57 p.m.

Good timing on this thread. As I have been looking at these for my shop. Some good deals on amazon. Ca. Might be worth picking one up for evaluation purposes.

Dec. 17, 2015, 7:01 p.m.

If you get them before me, please report back.

Dec. 17, 2015, 7:27 p.m.

I've read good reports on a adventure motorcycle forum but I've never used them myself.

I would like to try a set but I can't see them replacing my socket and wrench sets.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 17, 2015, 7:35 p.m.

Meh … couldn't beat a socket with a ratchet, especially in a confined space (which seems to be the case a lot of the time). Disadvantage of a socket wrench is carrying a load of sockets around so you have a correct-sized socket when you need it.

Dec. 17, 2015, 7:36 p.m.

I have one I use at work. I like it, no substitute for sockets thou.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Dec. 17, 2015, 7:56 p.m.

The people who gush over Knipex beg to differ. I've never used one and they're German made so I'm holding out for longer.

(I'm not talking impact sockets)

I'm a sucker for cool tools.
I checked out their website, although they are not shy to repeatedly state they are German based I could not find any info pertaining to where they are manufactured.

Chainsmoker 8)

Dec. 17, 2015, 8:02 p.m.

Speaking of sockets, I saw this in the Canadian Tire sale flyer and thought it looked like a good set for the home mechanic.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-400-piece-socket-set-0589295p.html#.VnOE3cpp_NU

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 17, 2015, 8:33 p.m.

^Too tooly and shit. All ready have a full set of combo wrenches and those GearWrench flex heads as well.

I bought this when it was on sale. I recall it being under $200. Picked up a Proto 1/2" Ratchet driver to go along with them. Will get a Impact at some point in the future. Thinking a Milwaukee M18 1/2" that thing is tiny!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 17, 2015, 8:43 p.m.

Speaking of sockets, I saw this in the Canadian Tire sale flyer and thought it looked like a good set for the home mechanic.

Having lots of cheap shit like that, I'd peg it's worth more in the $150 range.

Dec. 17, 2015, 8:54 p.m.

Having lots of cheap shit like that, I'd peg it's worth more in the $150 range.

Yeah, it is probably still a bit over priced but for somebody just starting out it seems ok to me. I've got a great selection of nice hand tools but I'm sure I could make do on a lot of stuff with a basic set like that.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Dec. 17, 2015, 8:55 p.m.

I checked out their website, although they are not shy to repeatedly state they are German based I could not find any info pertaining to where they are manufactured.

I have a pliers-wrench sitting on my desk right now. It has "MADE IN GERMANY" right on the casting, and on the handles too.
I think it's safe to say that's where they're actually made.:D

They are very nice, and have caused the retirement of channel lock pliers, a couple crescent wrenches, and smaller pipe wrenches.
Certainly no replacement for a full on wrench or socket set, though.
Amazon.ca seems to have the best price, or they did when I got mine.

Not Knipex, but still interesting, is this hex key set I got recently… Wiha Magic Ring ball end hex keys They were on sale when I bought them, but don't seem to be now. Wiha often has sales though. Usually 30-50% off.

Dec. 17, 2015, 8:55 p.m.

look thru their history it states they are manufactured in their factory and produce 35,000 units a day .

#northsidetrailbuilders