Kiteboarding 2015

July 5, 2015, 2:50 p.m.

What at the deal on the Squamish spit and the rescue seadoo. You do. An annual fee and your good to go?

I'd like to get back into windsurfing but I'm an intermediate at best (no waterstart)

Kitesurfing is a lot more versatile than windsurfing. A single 10m kite will see you on the water almost any time of the year (wind range of 14-35 knots)..a windsurfer needs 4-5 sails for that same range?

From http://www.squamishwindsports.com/membership/ :
The Squamish Windsport Society is a non-profit society providing access to high wind sailing where the Squamish River meets Howe Sound. Here is what we offer:

Access to prime windsurfing [HTML_REMOVED] kiteboarding launch area
Rigging areas for sailors with felt mats
Toilets [HTML_REMOVED] Change rooms
Retrieval Sea-Doo services
Orientation, Assistance [HTML_REMOVED] First Aid from on-duty staff
Website, telephone [HTML_REMOVED] email services
Special Events
Note that non members are required to pay a $20 day fee to launch at the spit

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 5, 2015, 7:14 p.m.

Hey Rat - the http://www.squamishwindsports.com/ manages the use of the Squamish Spit. There is an annual fee (160ish?) or day use $20.

The staff will fish you out of the drink if you're not able to make it back to the spit under your own power. It's usually best to go and introduce yourself and give them the low down of your capabilities. The Spit has alot going on most days so it's good to have a quick chat.

Also - have you tied kiting? May want to be before committing to the windsurfer - seems like lots of windsurfers are collecting dust. Lots.

July 5, 2015, 7:16 p.m.

Oops looks like I missed Gotham's post… my bad

July 7, 2015, 9:24 a.m.

I still have my windsurfer and gear and I'm a beginner/intermediate. If I was starting from scratch I'd do the kite for sure

Just don't have the free time to start a new sport

Aug. 15, 2015, 6:37 p.m.

Finally, after years of nagging from a buddy, I decided to get into kiting and just had my first two solo sessions at the spit. I'm stoked to be doing something new that can easily be worked in with a bike ride on the same day.

I resisted for years because I was afraid of cold water. I can't believe how effective my wetsuit is. I deliberately headed for the colder river water on Thursday as I was getting warm (now that I'm not neck deep in it all the time).

It was the hardest new sport I've ever tried, but when it all finally clicks you wonder why you just didn't do that sooner and it seems pretty straightforward.

The thing that got me to finally decide to learn, was my buddy pointing out that he couldn't believe that an ex-skateboarder and snowboarder wouldn't want to do this wind powered board sport. Funny thing is I never made the connection that it was a board sport before. In my mind it was flying a kite and getting wet in very cold water and hanging out in blustering winds. Not quite the reality.

Looks like it's going to be a windy week ahead. Anyone here going to be out at the spit?

Aug. 15, 2015, 7:23 p.m.

the lower Skeena is a local kite boarding destination

Aug. 15, 2015, 7:35 p.m.

the lower Skeena is a local kite boarding destination

thats gotta be daaaaaaaaaaaamn cold

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 16, 2015, 8:52 a.m.

gortex drysuit makes everything toasty

Aug. 16, 2015, 11:13 a.m.

Looks like it's going to be a windy week ahead. Anyone here going to be out at the spit?

Totally. Your experience is similar to mine. Once I decided to do it I struggled a lot until it all clicked.
Glad that I did.
I'm trying to get to the spit at least once a week. Hopefully another trip to Nitinat before the season ends.
FYI, this is a good weather predictor for Squamish and this one for Nitinat.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 16, 2015, 11:59 a.m.

thats gotta be daaaaaaaaaaaamn cold

you want cold there is a small kite boarding scene in yellow knife

there is a doctor recently moved to town (Tall blonde dude) who kite boarded in northern saskachewan, same guy boards up on the praire in winter

I might try rocking the SUP till freeze-up on lake Kathlyn cuz there is no such thing as bad weather… just improper kit

Aug. 16, 2015, 3:16 p.m.

Totally. Your experience is similar to mine. Once I decided to do it I struggled a lot until it all clicked.
Glad that I did.
I'm trying to get to the spit at least once a week. Hopefully another trip to Nitinat before the season ends.

Cool, thanks. Going to try and get to Nitinat this weekend if I can get away from work on Friday.

Aug. 16, 2015, 3:28 p.m.

Glad that I did.

Nitinat is great, but there is lots of kiting in Boundary Bay, Tswasssen, Spanish Banks and Jericho all throughout the year. Just gotta rock a wetsuit.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 16, 2015, 4:51 p.m.

you want cold there is a small kite boarding scene in yellow knife

there is a doctor recently moved to town (Tall blonde dude) who kite boarded in northern saskachewan, same guy boards up on the praire in winter

I might try rocking the SUP till freeze-up on lake Kathlyn cuz there is no such thing as bad weather… just improper kit

SUP? rollerblades of the sea.

you're out of the will.

now….kite skiing on the prairie, I could rock that if I could tack all the way up to the false peak.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 16, 2015, 5:19 p.m.

Kinda fun [HTML_REMOVED] less weight to lift off the truck, makes a small lake seem a little bigger and THE best way to meet women are … SUP [HTML_REMOVED] Yoga

Aug. 16, 2015, 6 p.m.

… SUP [HTML_REMOVED] Yoga

you'd be a fool to mock either.

PS. I'm OK with not being in the will.