Kite surfing / Windsurfing

July 28, 2010, 9:11 p.m.

for my 2 cents don't even bother learning to kite or windsurf unless your prepared to drive a lot to get wind, also learning in Vancouver is pointless as there is only enough wind too sail on a westerly storm which is few and far between. I kite and don't even bother kiting in vancouver ever as it usually involves driving across town to jericho to see if it is actually going to happen, then it usually dies quick.

Squamish has tons of wind but it is like riding A line if your a beginner during crankworkx, dumb and not fun, super busy, cold water and not much space. Nitinaht Lake is the place to learn and there is wind every sunny day just like squmish, the water is warm and there is 12 kiters during the week and double that on weekend as opposed to 60-70 kiters in squamish on a 10th the space…

Lessons for kiting are not cheap but really the only way to ensure you won't kill yourself or someone else. If you are a wicked windsurfer then you can teach yourself but every year we see guys show up and try and they are not too popular and I won't launch a guy who is sketchy, too dam dangerous!

If you want to kite, then take lessons together and spend a week out there and you will both be kiting and helping one another with walking back up the beach, you can also be each others safety eyes as you go out…makes a big difference. Kim and I did that and you won't have enough strength to be out there kiting all day at first…so sharing it is awesome…then you will both be rippin it up in no time, if you don't want to commit to that then don't even bother trying it…

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

July 28, 2010, 9:40 p.m.

if you don't want to commit to that then don't even bother trying either…

they both take commitment - buy the gear and do the driving for time on the water.

July 28, 2010, 11:06 p.m.

Bushman - was windsurfing not kites..cancelled it after I arranged for a harbour fireworks cruise instead. Will save windsports for another datenight.

The company I was looking at was www.windsure.com

Posted via Mobile Device

ah…i fail at reading comprehension.

Beginner level windsurfing does not need much wind, but you will bore fast and as Dave said will be driving in search of wind.

What about ocean kyak, not really in the speed department but something you can both do at anytime on the water.

July 29, 2010, 8:31 a.m.

ah…i fail at reading comprehension.

Beginner level windsurfing does not need much wind, but you will bore fast and as Dave said will be driving in search of wind.

What about ocean kyak, not really in the speed department but something you can both do at anytime on the water.

after Ocean kayaking twice a week for the last month due to a blown achillies I can safley say I cant wait to do some ocean Kayaking when im over 60. unless your going distance exploring great places and camping its a snoozer.

July 29, 2010, 9:41 a.m.

after Ocean kayaking twice a week for the last month due to a blown achillies I can safley say I cant wait to do some ocean Kayaking when im over 60. unless your going distance exploring great places and camping its a snoozer.

Totally agree! Unless you take out a k-1 or fast surf ski, which way more fun, faster, about double and very hard to balance…I use to take my k-1 out in the middle of february in rough stuff in the cove, I remember falling in over by turtle island about 60 feet away from the island. I had to swim to the island empty out my boat before it sank and paddle back as fast as possible(3.5km) in the wind, brrr. I made it back sat in the shower at the deep cove kayak centre for an hour and then had to drive home with a t-shirt around my bottom as I never took extra clothes, oh yeah I was wearing lycra tights a short sleeve and long sleeve lifa, that was an exciting day…

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

July 29, 2010, 1:28 p.m.

Here is a little vid I did recently on Nitinaht..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePbqZ2rg6rw

@davenorona

@Dave Norona