Kite surfing / Windsurfing

Sept. 22, 2009, 12:40 p.m.

and the trip to Hood River, Oregon, is worth it if you're looking for gear. A couple used gear stores, and lots of new. 6 hour drive, depending on the border.

Lessons also available in Hood - a little closer than Baja.

Sept. 22, 2009, 1:08 p.m.

Like any wind sport the problem is that you have to search for wind and wait till it is windy but of course there is alwasy riding and other sports to do while you wait.

Awesome sport and tons of fun!

other sports ??? like sitting on the beach asking everyone else what they are rigging :dizzy:

don't know why but that drives me to drink.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Sept. 22, 2009, 1:10 p.m.

Yes but Hood Rier is done now and Baja is just coming into season. If you book a week and half to La Ventana and do lessons and buy kites there the money you save is like free lesons. Better than the US for pricing and Baja Jo's has a great shop, new and used.

I also learned in the Gorge in Stevenson and the Gorge is not the ideal place to learn. Super gusty wind…

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Sept. 22, 2009, 3:51 p.m.

Bellingham gets great wind year round. Best thing about learning in Bellingham bay is the shallow water. You could take your first tack out over a mile and still be in knee deep water. Gets cold during the winter, but drysuit technology is pretty bomber now. I see a lot of people there on the weekends from Vancouver. Check out the Community center at BKB, you won't be disappointed, there is always a keg of boundary bay on tap.

Sept. 22, 2009, 4:03 p.m.

Try http://www.oceanrodeo.com/
They also have dry suits that are nimble enough to surf (real surf) in: http://www.oceanrodeo.com/drysuits/predator It's their newest one and has had
some good reviews so far.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Sept. 22, 2009, 4:08 p.m.

you should be fine in a hooded 5/4/3 front zip suit, if not htfu

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 22, 2009, 4:20 p.m.

you should be fine in a hooded 5/4/3 front zip suit, if not htfu

I'd agree w/ that, I've got a 6/5/4 dryloc and I'm sweating my ass off (even in
December). When I get a job, I'm looking for a 5/4/3 back zip or shoulder I can't
stand laying on a friggin zipper.

Sept. 22, 2009, 8:21 p.m.

i got all my gear:
3 kites, board, and harness for under 1500
2 kites were used and board was used a couple times

if you are gonna go used you need to do some research and try not to get kites older than 2008

kiteboardbc.com is the local fourm

i would say definitely get a 3m trainer, they are fun to play around with and teach freinds once you are done with it.

you dont want to be learning on land with a 12 m inflatable that will get ruined when you constantly crash. when you are starting out

brokezors

Sept. 22, 2009, 8:47 p.m.

I'd agree w/ that, I've got a 6/5/4 dryloc and I'm sweating my ass off (even in
December). When I get a job, I'm looking for a 5/4/3 back zip or shoulder I can't stand laying on a friggin zipper.

Ive got an Xcel 5/4/3 front zip drylock waiting for me. I have a rip curl 4/3 abckzip with a batwing collar that flushes in the back too much for my liking, plus i feel like a chip [HTML_REMOVED] dale with the collar on.

Sept. 22, 2009, 9:39 p.m.

Yes but Hood Rier is done now and Baja is just coming into season. If you book a week and half to La Ventana and do lessons and buy kites there the money you save is like free lessons. Better than the US for pricing and Baja Jo's has a great shop, new and used.

I also learned in the Gorge in Stevenson and the Gorge is not the ideal place to learn. Super gusty wind…

My Landlord is windsurfing in the gorge right now. He is 50+ and still given er. He has a buddy that was learning kite and failed to hit his quick release when a gust caught him and dropped him on the rocks. Busted up his leg bad and due to complications he ended up loosing his leg eventually.

I know how to fly a 4 string sport kite, wake board and windsurf….so i don't think it will be to hard to learn for me.But i will still take your advice on lessons to fast track my learning curve. Good idea for any discipline. Just let me know when you want some moto lessons :D

Sept. 22, 2009, 9:41 p.m.

Ive got an Xcel 5/4/3 front zip drylock waiting for me. I have a rip curl 4/3 abckzip with a batwing collar that flushes in the back too much for my liking, plus i feel like a chip [HTML_REMOVED] dale with the collar on.

When you say front zip, you mean across the chest not the up/down of yore.
I was going to buy a 5/4/3 but they didn't have any and it was winter when I
bought it and I needed a wetsuit if I wanted to ride. On the up side, 6/5/4 should
make a mighty fine dive suit.

Sept. 22, 2009, 9:48 p.m.

My Landlord is windsurfing in the gorge right now. He is 50+ and still given er. He has a buddy that was learning kite and failed to hit his quick release when a gust caught him and dropped him on the rocks. Busted up his leg bad and due to complications he ended up loosing his leg eventually.

I know how to fly a 4 string sport kite, wake board and windsurf….so i don't think it will be to hard to learn for me.But i will still take your advice on lessons to fast track my learning curve. Good idea for any discipline. Just let me know when you want some moto lessons :D

I think the a lot of the problems I see w/ kiting is failure to realize/admit you're
in trouble when there's time to do something about it. When that gust hits and takes
you toward the rocks most people spend too much time thinking about; how
much the line costs so they don't cut it fast enough, dumping everything because
they don't want to go for a swim. I think there's a pride thing (for lack of a better
word) that prevents us from admitting we're in trouble until it's too late.

Sept. 22, 2009, 9:58 p.m.

When you say front zip, you mean across the chest not the up/down of yore.
I was going to buy a 5/4/3 but they didn't have any and it was winter when I
bought it and I needed a wetsuit if I wanted to ride. On the up side, 6/5/4 should
make a mighty fine dive suit.

correct.

i cant wait to go get barrelled in my new suit, brah!

Sept. 22, 2009, 10:07 p.m.

correct.

i cant wait to go get barrelled in my new suit, brah!

Where do you go for the most part? I'm thinking of heading out to Sombrio
tomorrow (I figure it's a bike site not a surf site, so I'm safe in telling).

I have thought of picking up a kite and learning once I get a job, or I get
desperate enough to beg my uncle for one of his used sets.

Sept. 22, 2009, 10:10 p.m.

Ive only been in Tofino. When I was in Vic, there was no surf, but still drove out to Jordan, and Sombrio just to see what it was like. I assume being in Sooke, you head out there?