Kids in Restaurants.

March 27, 2009, 11:54 p.m.

I just took my kid to Earls the other week just because we had a gift certificate. But before you go ape shit on me, I think I control my kid (disipline) pretty good….at least I'd like to think so. Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect nor is my child. But I will do whatever it takes to bring up an honest kid and not some dumb spoiled idiot who doesn't know how to respect others.

I know too many ppl that raise their kids with love or without any form of disipline. No offence to anyone here and this is not refered to anyone here either. The ppl I know that do that are doing the kids no favors and their kids are nothing but brats. And the ones that are older are also spoiled and show no respect to anyone. While I do believe it might work for some the ones I know, are definitely not working. The thing is, most don't even acknowledge the fact that their kid is a menace or out of control. They think it's "kids being kids" or "oh how cute" which drive me futtbuck.

I totally believe it is this generation's parenting ideas and what not that are causing so many dumbass brats out there. I'm at that age where a lot of ppl I know are new parents. and I have to admit……I'm scared of their kids and what they might turn out to be like as they get older. Kids need to know who's in control. They need to be taught what is acceptable and what is not. It's not up to them to learn for themselves. If that's the case, where does the line stop?

Keep this in mind though, I have learned that it's always easier to judge kids/parents when viewing from the outside. Or as someone who has never raised a kid. I'm just saying….it's always easy to say "oh I would never do that.." We're not experts till we raise kids ourselves and even then nobodies perfect.

March 28, 2009, 12:04 a.m.

PS: Parents on this forum - when you let your kids walk around the restaurant… you are douchebag parents. Period. Teach your kids some respect and pull your heads out of your ass.

Not only is it disrespectful but also dangerous. Food runners aren't likely to see a three foot tall kid while carrying a tray full of hot plates.

March 28, 2009, 12:05 a.m.

Spare the rod…spoil the child.

There are many interpretations…but it rings TRUE always.

March 28, 2009, 12:08 a.m.

Yeah, but what about the stupid bitch that thought it was a good idea to bring her screaming kid on the my redeye flight to Montreal last summer?

No sympathy for you here. It's traveling and sometimes you have to suck it up and deal with screaming kids, smelly people, etc. Planes aren't comfortable places and kids are gonna cry.

March 28, 2009, 12:09 a.m.

just dont fucking run around like dicks you can do whatever you want at the table

most restaurants have entertainment toys for kids

idk what we have i think its a dirty old etch a sketchkgas

March 28, 2009, 12:22 a.m.

No sympathy for you here. It's traveling and sometimes you have to suck it up and deal with screaming kids, smelly people, etc. Planes aren't comfortable places and kids are gonna cry.

Fuck that. Its a redeye, have the common courtesy to take a flight where your screaming kid wont keep everyone awake. OR the common courtesy to slip the little bastard some cough medicine. Regular flight, sure. I mean, I'd still be kinda mad, but a fucking REDEYE? I was close to yelling at her.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

March 28, 2009, 12:24 a.m.

Spare the rod…spoil the child.

There are many interpretations…but it rings TRUE always.

I dunno, I know some parents with very well behaved kids who are pretty lenient; I think the thing for them is that they spend a LOT of time with their kids, and give them a LOT of attention (like, explaining why they can't be loud, making them repeat it plus the consequences of what will happen if they ARE loud, etc.).

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

March 28, 2009, 2:36 a.m.

Similar to the restaurant problem. I think it's my generation (and it's not going to get better with the next generations) thinking that their kids are special and should be allowed to act like pricks.

But I wait for some parents to correct me in this thread.

Well, I'm no parent… but I was brought up to mind my manners and be respectful. No way I would have been running around a restaurant like that. If I ever have a kid/kids, I plan to teach them the same manners. I'm sure I'll think my kids are wonderful and special, but they'll have to obey the rules.

I dunno, I know some parents with very well behaved kids who are pretty lenient; I think the thing for them is that they spend a LOT of time with their kids, and give them a LOT of attention (like, explaining why they can't be loud, making them repeat it plus the consequences of what will happen if they ARE loud, etc.).

Yeah, I don't agree with "Spare the rod, spoil the child" either. I wasn't brought up being beaten when I did something wrong. I'm obviously biased, but I would say that I turned out pretty well. No reason why you can't teach your kid to be polite, respectful, and have proper manners without having to hit them. I'm sure it won't go over well with some folks on here, but I would personally feel like I had failed if I hit my kid(s) to keep them in line. I mean, come on… grown adult vs. child. If you need corporal(?) punishment to keep them in line, that seems kind of sad. That might be the "easy" route, but it doesn't seem like either the smartest or the most effective.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is far better to be doing things from a belief that you are doing what is good/the right thing, than to be doing things out of fear? It's like the difference between not stealing because you feel it isn't fair to the victims, vs. not stealing because you think that God will smite you if you do.

22 Pride

March 28, 2009, 2:44 a.m.

I find newish parents annoying. Speaking to their kids in baby voices and being over paranoid about everything.

Let the kid play in, and eat, some dirt. Leave it out in the yard to entertain itself.

Stupid kids. Stupider parents.

March 28, 2009, 3:55 a.m.

Fuck that. Its a redeye, have the common courtesy to take a flight where your screaming kid wont keep everyone awake. OR the common courtesy to slip the little bastard some cough medicine. Regular flight, sure. I mean, I'd still be kinda mad, but a fucking REDEYE? I was close to yelling at her.

Sorry man but you're just being a douche.

People have to travel and sometimes they have to bring their kids and if they're flying on a budget red-eyes are often A LOT cheaper. It's unfortunate that you think they should have to drug their child just because you're an intolerant prick.

Just bring some earplugs next time.

www.natooke.com

March 28, 2009, 6:55 a.m.

I am always puzzled to see kids at Cactus Club. I mean the whole point of going to Cactus Club is going there for the waitresses. What sick father would bring their kids?

Regarding the spoiled children, as someone mentioned, I also think it has to do with the lack of quality time spent with the kids. A generation ago, quite often it was enough for one parent to work, but today both parents are pretty much over-worked and over-stressed which prevents them from being effective parents.

I sometimes feel that since parents are drained and exhausted at the end of the day, they don't have energy left to spend time with their children effectively and in an attempt to gain their affection they try to 'bribe' them by allowing them to get away with things that they shouldn't. For example, they let them watch too much TV, or they buy too many gifts, etc. Of course, the kids are smart little buggers and realize that they can exploit their parents emotionally by pouting or screaming or whatever and they learn to recognize that their parents are much to stressed and tired to put up a real fight.

Pedro

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

March 28, 2009, 7:19 a.m.

Kids running around in restaurants means it's a catch-your-own freerange restaurant. And I'd be quick to point that out both to the manager and douchebag parents.

kids = Omnomnom

Being a teacher, I see quite a few well-adjusted, polite, respectful kids, which are the products of well-adjusted, polite, respectful parents.
Unfortunately, they are not the majority.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

March 28, 2009, 7:22 a.m.

Sorry man but you're just being a douche.

People have to travel and sometimes they have to bring their kids and if they're flying on a budget red-eyes are often A LOT cheaper. It's unfortunate that you think they should have to drug their child just because you're an intolerant prick.

Just bring some earplugs next time.

Word. If you hate it so much, why don't you buck up for business class? If not, deal with life. Parents don't expect their kids to go apeshit on planes. If the kids do, where the fuck are they supposed to go? Step outside? I'm sure most parents try everything they can to get babies to stop crying in tight positions.

As for restaurants - I'd be embarrassed as hell if my kids ran around and screamed in a restaurant.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

March 28, 2009, 8:06 a.m.

I was in shoppers one day and this little kid was running through the aisles like an idiot and ran straight to the energy drink section and was yelling at his mom to buy him a monster. He then proceeded to get really angry when they only had the coffee ones. His mom also had 2 other kids

WTF is it with parents that are both working full time having 3 or more kids!?! I think that's selfish in a way cause like pedro and the others have said the parents don't even have time or care to spend enough time with one of their kids.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

March 28, 2009, 8:15 a.m.

I think kids should be dealt with like they did with Cartman in the episode of South Park where his mom calls in Cesar Milan (Dog Whisperer).

In all seriousness though, some people are ignorant or they figure that everyone is just as in love with their kids as they are. If you don't bring up the issue, it won't resolve itself. Nothing a little public shaming won't take care of.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.