Kayaking

July 22, 2013, 5:24 p.m.

Just started with my Wife and Daughter…just some cheap Pelican's from CTire…various lakes and in the river right in town here.

What river sections are safe for noobs? I guess you need a driver or two vehicles eh?

July 22, 2013, 7:38 p.m.

yeah 2 vehicals OR pay the driver which is one of my ski bum gigs, I run shuttles for rafters kayakers [HTML_REMOVED] fisherman

I don't know the river around kami but I would think the north thompson above kami would be ok but do check localy, in PeeG 8 teens were killed putting canoes in at the wrong place which ended up being above a grade 6 canyon

when I am in a decked kayak I pull that deck on and I am sealed from the wind and rain, I don't need a partner and I can handle rougher water than in a canoe

July 22, 2013, 8:01 p.m.

looking at one of these for all rounder exercise, explore and fishing:
http://www.feelfreekayak.com/products/juntos/

Its all about what you want to do, it might work for your app but it wouldn't work for me

July 22, 2013, 9:51 p.m.

Off to find a kayakin' forum…see if I can't find the deets on river sections around here

July 22, 2013, 10:25 p.m.

Its all about what you want to do, it might work for your app but it wouldn't work for me

it is definately not a WW boat, but im not really up for that anyhow. Pretty sure i would drown if i tried that.

WTF, Over?

July 22, 2013, 10:51 p.m.

I paddled WW pretty regularly for a few years, but started spending more time climbing, and my roll started to get less snappy than I liked, so I found myself running the same class 3 rivers all the time. Ended up selling all my gear to a friend.

I'll likely get into touring once my girls are a bit older. In the meantime, they're happy to sit in the middle of a canoe.

I guess you need a driver or two vehicles eh?

Paddling is definitely one of the less "green" outdoor activities when you factor in the shuttles. Figuring out how many boats and people you can pile on and into one vehicle to minimize shuttle vehicles is half the fun.

July 22, 2013, 11:35 p.m.

Just started with my Wife and Daughter…just some cheap Pelican's from CTire…various lakes and in the river right in town here.

What river sections are safe for noobs? I guess you need a driver or two vehicles eh?

Anything except the Thompson or its tributaries… ;)

Wherever the people are tubing is obviously fine. Kamloops lake is big.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 23, 2013, 7:15 a.m.

it is definately not a WW boat, but im not really up for that anyhow. Pretty sure i would drown if i tried that.

its not touring either, its very short/wide sit-on-top so along with the wheel sticking out the bottom(never seen that before) it will be slow, no deck means a wetter ride which maybe ok in hawaii but its not warm in BC

http://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/day_touring/

this link shows you the types of kayaks^^ from a real kayak company, I think the day touring boats like the manitou which has been popular for a lot of years are more like real kayaks, won't be too slow, you can pack a little gear and the boat is not too much to handle

July 23, 2013, 12:07 p.m.

Two trips already this summer - 9 day kayaking up from Fair Harbour and Kyuquot Sound to the Bunsby Islands and up to the Brooks Peninsula - 2 families, 4 adults, 5 kids age 9-14. Between the families, we own 2 doubles, and rented a double and a triple from West Coast Expeditions right out in the sound. Fantastic beaches, unbelievably sunny and dry weather, sea otters, high winds in the afternoon, no crowds…!

Trip #2 much more tame but still great for less experienced paddlers, Pender Island, Port Browning again rented a couple extra kayaks for the cousins, a one-hour calm paddle to Beaumont Marine Park, beautiful 2- sided white shell beaches, no car access= fewer people. Paddle across harbour to Poet's Cove resort where grandma and the aunts stayed, go to the pub for drinks and dinner and swimming at the pool! Lots of paddling day options, didn't get to Saturna this time, but a great destination, calm bays for kids to play around in the single kayaks, lots of seals, great views of Baker from the water…

Trip #3 will be out to Tofino for paddling around Vargas, Flores, Meares, always great…

Fill the rest of the summer on the bikes!

July 23, 2013, 9:31 p.m.

what kind of doubles?

http://www.seawardkayaks.com/products_fibre_passatg3.php

My buddy has a seaward Passat G3 in Kevlar^^ which has to be the ferrari of doubles and a thing of beauty to paddle, 2 good paddlers can really make that boat go , buddy goes on his big epics but sometimes we fill up the center hatch with booze/coffee/smokies and go out on the short fast trips

nobody has talked about paddles which is one of the most important pieces of gear
http://wernerpaddles.com/paddles/touring/performance_core/

I got the 220 bent shaft Kalliste in carbon which is ssimply the best, IME for touring go low angle style/shorter cuz it is easyier on the body but not the wallet at [HTML_REMOVED] 400$ but its totally worth it IME, we use them to hold up the tarp so the joke is a 70$ tarp…with 2000$ worth of CF tarp poles

http://wernerpaddles.com/paddles/touring/recreational/skagit_fg_im/
I just got this one^^ for a spare, it paddles realy nice very much like the Kalliste its 400$ cousin especaily for only 149$ …highly recommended if you are on a budget

if you got small hands or even medium sized hands look into the small shaft werners

July 23, 2013, 9:59 p.m.

W/Ecomarine over a wknd in the late '70's gave me a mild case of carpel tunnel syndrome.
If'n you're a novice maybe don't get paddles with feathered blades, eh?
Unless it's blowing dogs off chains you don't need them!
PSA and all…………..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 23, 2013, 10:23 p.m.

well the old paddles were all 90 degree back in the day but the new touring paddles pretty much all have infinite feather adjustment so left or right feather from zero to 90 in 15 degree increments so you can choose whatever you like even in the low end paddles like that cheap werner I linked to

A High angle style needs more feather a low angle needs less feather so even tho I was and still am a high angle style WW paddler for many years I am a low angle touring paddler, I like 15 degree RH featehr personaly for WW or touring

July 23, 2013, 10:38 p.m.

Yeah we didn't have those options. Friday night Lord Bing pool, Sat. Jericho to False Creek, Sun. Jericho to Wreak Beach with barrel roll practice en-route.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 23, 2013, 10:45 p.m.

i had a current designs sea kayak awhile ago and spent a week with the old man paddling around the Broken Islands and some lakes in the interior. I wish i could afford to get into whitewater right now.

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

July 23, 2013, 10:46 p.m.

what kind of doubles?

- we own 2 ancient, refurbished 20-year-old Necky Tofino doubles (bought for cheap from a friend's rental fleet, sea pigs, as we call them, but carry tons of gear, pretty much un-dumpable, extremely safe for kids etc.
- rented two passat G3s, one made into a triple for with seat in middle hatch, plenty of storage, a little more sleek for paddling
- even the recreational werner paddles are good to go with, since we're not going anywhere too fast
-vhf radio another essential piece of gear for multi-day trips