Jury duty

Jan. 7, 2014, 5:54 p.m.

I'd probably take the jury duty if I ever got the summons. Of course, my work continues my pay if I'm called to a jury. And I'm just generally sick of the round of shitty projects on my desk so would be a nice break to leave them to rot there for a week or two.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 7, 2014, 5:58 p.m.

Like dkl I got a letter from my employer saying that they could not operate with me being gone for an extended period of time. The case that I got selected for was scheduled to go on for 20 days.

Jan. 7, 2014, 5:59 p.m.

i got out of jury duty very recently, for the same reason. I gave the vacation details (dates/location, etc), along with the date that I booked. I said I was available outside those dates, but not on those dates. They sent me a confirmation that I was off the hook-no jury duty this time! I don't have to show up for the jury selection day. I did the entire exemption process online ahead of time.

If you have proof that you made the deposit BEFORE you received the jury notice, it's a no-brainer.

this ^^ is what I am looking for, did you have to send them proof or whaT?

"I would think in this day and age the only people who could do jury duty would be the independently wealthy, retired and unemployed. Truly our "peers"."

ya that's me ^^^which is why I am going ski touring … I got a tour in jan/feb/april

Jan. 9, 2014, 5:56 p.m.

this ^^ is what I am looking for, did you have to send them proof or whaT?

Nope, and they haven't asked for it yet. I'd want to have it just in case they ask.
It's like driving up to the border guard. Don't offer too much info, but have it ready in case they ask.

Jan. 10, 2014, 5:34 p.m.

So I skated on this one

logged on to the site last nite, requested the exemption due to a ski vacation booked with a cash deposit before xmas and I got the exemption tonight, it would have been sooner but I was skiing

Feb. 9, 2014, 6:18 p.m.

Sheesh, I've been summoned for a 1st degree murder trial that comes up at the end of the month.
Estimated trial time - 5 weeks.
Just picking the jury is gonna take 3 days ffs.

I'm definitely not one who watches cop shows or law shows.
I really don't have a legitimate reason for getting out of it.

Feb. 9, 2014, 7:05 p.m.

Good reason to book a vacation!

I leave tomorrow for Dezaiko lodge, I really did have it already booked

Feb. 9, 2014, 8 p.m.

So I skated on this one

logged on to the site last nite, requested the exemption due to a ski vacation booked with a cash deposit before xmas and I got the exemption tonight, it would have been sooner but I was skiing

given current conditions,that won't be the last of the skating you'll do this week.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 9, 2014, 8:23 p.m.

snow is coming and besides they got 4meters up in the dezaiko range

Feb. 9, 2014, 8:36 p.m.

snow is coming and besides they got 4meters up in the dezaiko range

I'd bank on dust on crust till Friday when it warms up. at the head of the babine river there is about a 2 inch crust layer with heavy hoar above and facets beneath fwiw. wouldn't expect much different over there considering recent weather.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 10, 2014, 6:40 a.m.

If the letter isn't sent via Registered Mail (meaning you sign for ), then there is no evidence you directly received your notice for public duty. Have a nice vacation.

This. Fifteen years ago I started throwing jury duty notices in the trash. Ten years ago they stopped coming. Problem solved.

(I made many attempts prior to the above to do my "civic duty". Many injustices to ME ensued. I'm done)

Libre? Libre como el vienta……

Aug. 5, 2014, 2:13 p.m.

Just received my summons, and promptly logged in and filed my excuse. if I had read this thread first I would have just filed the letter in the brown bin. Oh well, next time.

Aug. 10, 2014, 5:29 a.m.

If all else fails, showing up and telling the judge that you are racist also works (I've seen this happen)

Jan. 15, 2015, 2:34 p.m.

Got a text from my dad that I had received a jury summons in the mail (working on the east coast and all my mail is sent to my parents) for a trial in the middle of March. Just submitted my excuse a la TrailWorker and dynasplit. Odds are I'll be working those dates so if I have to fly home for 10-20 days, I'll be pretty pissed!

Jan. 15, 2015, 3:40 p.m.

i got out of jury duty very recently, for the same reason. I gave the vacation details (dates/location, etc), along with the date that I booked. I said I was available outside those dates, but not on those dates. They sent me a confirmation that I was off the hook-no jury duty this time! I don't have to show up for the jury selection day. I did the entire exemption process online ahead of time.

If you have proof that you made the deposit BEFORE you received the jury notice, it's a no-brainer.

My wife did the same thing last year because we had a family trip booked. There were no issues.