Jury duty

Jan. 15, 2015, 3:45 p.m.

Wow. Someone should start another thread titled, "another sign of our failing democracy". lol….

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 10, 2015, 10:33 p.m.

Just got jury duty summons in the mail. Trial expected to last up to 80 days. WTF? Going to talk to my employer, maybe they can get me out of it. Pretty big ask for a person to take possibly 2 and a half months off to attend a trial.

Thread killer

Dec. 10, 2015, 10:38 p.m.

Just got jury duty summons in the mail. Trial expected to last up to 80 days. WTF? Going to talk to my employer, maybe they can get me out of it. Pretty big ask for a person to take possibly 2 and a half months off to attend a trial.

Its pretty easy to get out of. If you get called up from the jury pool, just make sure you say something offensive/controversial/overly opinionated and you will be dismissed.
I got summoned, but never got called up. My employer has to pay me for any jury duty days!

Dec. 10, 2015, 11:15 p.m.

I don't mind doing it that much but I put 500$ down on a hut trip well before I got the notice, the web site sez you can probably get out of Jury duty if you got a Vaca booked … anybody had experiance with this situ ?

yeah i know its my duty the case will probably get settled before it goes to court

I could ignore the letter say I never got it … what happens in that case ?

Basically, if you have any resemblance of an excuse that's on their list, you will be excused so there's no point in ignoring it. I once applied for an exemption based on pre-booked flights. I sent a PDF of the booking and was excused and didn't have to show up. If you sent them a copy of your deposit, you will most likely be excused as well. Easy peasy. I didn't get another request to show up for at least 5 years. I bet if you ignore it you will be top of the list.

Dec. 11, 2015, 7:19 a.m.

80 days- 5 days a week- 16 weeks

My co worker got the same summons. He emailed the contact right away and said financial hardship. he was contacted an hour later and dismissed.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 13, 2015, 3:38 p.m.

My wife and I got mail for a minimum 120 day one.

The only people who could afford such a venture are government employees.

Dec. 13, 2015, 3:39 p.m.

My wife and I got mail for a minimum 120 day one.

The only people who could afford such a venture are government employees.

I'll add that once we pointed out we were both freelancers this was completely untenable… got responses inside 24 hours confirming our assessment.

Dec. 14, 2015, 9:09 a.m.

Why not take the Jury Duty? With wages like this you'd be balling.

_"The entitlement for each day spent attending at a sitting or trial is as follows:

$20 a day for each of the first 10 days;
$60 a day for the 11 to the 49 days; and
$100 a day commencing on the 50th day of sitting."_