"Jumbo Glacier officially becomes resort municipality"

March 17, 2016, 6:02 p.m.

Maybe it's just me, but if you are making a doc about keeping a ski resort away from Jumbo why put in the sweet skiing clips?

'cause Patagonia has skiing clothes to sell, and Sweetgrass has skiing films to sell.
It is only natural.(Pun?)

March 18, 2016, 2:34 p.m.

'cause Patagonia has skiing clothes to sell, and Sweetgrass has skiing films to sell.

:lol:

March 19, 2016, 7:55 p.m.

I think they were trying to show what skiing looks like outside of a groomed lift accessed resort.

March 20, 2016, 7:23 a.m.

wife and I watch Jumbo Wild last night, super well done, actually did a really good job of telling the history and the story….I found it super interesting that Oberto kept on referring to the area as a cathedral, and how he had to impose his vision on it to make it 'better', and totally missing the point that it already is peoples spiritual area as it is….just such an old school ego/architect perspective.

March 20, 2016, 8:34 a.m.

Anything to draw attention to corporate goals — like selling on back of a 'keep it natural' movement!

Is Patagonia a B Corp?

"peoples spiritual area"

Have you been there, seen how 'spiritual' it is?

If it economically feasible and the investment necessary is in place to do it right, then I am all for it.

Ok … perhaps it is a bit off the beaten path.

.. perhaps a lot of the beaten path.

The ski tourers that hit up that region seem to get along with the gods.

I don't see why some lifties can't also appease the great spiritual and environmentalist concerns.

:banana:

Nov. 2, 2017, 7:55 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/indigenous-rights-ski-resort-1.4381902

Well that's not what I was expecting.

Nov. 2, 2017, 11:39 a.m.

As an areligious person I am not swayed by spirit grizzlies or sasquatch mating season, but is this resort viable?  People keep pouring money in, so obviously, they think so, but it just seems too far away from a major centre to fly.

Nov. 2, 2017, 4:58 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

As an areligious person I am not swayed by spirit grizzlies or sasquatch mating season, but is this resort viable?  People keep pouring money in, so obviously, they think so, but it just seems too far away from a major centre to fly.

Well, there's apparently still thousands of millionaires in China looking to convert their yuan.........

Nov. 3, 2017, 2:22 p.m.

I don't think there is significant money invested? If there was they would have built more infrastructure during the last permit period.

Gut feeling from living in Calgary most of my life, spending a lot of time in Cranbrook/Invermere and skiing a lot in AB/SE BC is that no, this is not commercially viable.

Nov. 6, 2017, 10:32 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

I don't think there is significant money invested? If there was they would have built more infrastructure during the last permit period.

Gut feeling from living in Calgary most of my life, spending a lot of time in Cranbrook/Invermere and skiing a lot in AB/SE BC is that no, this is not commercially viable.

I guess I just assumed money was pouring in as this seems like an expensive process.

Nov. 6, 2017, 8:28 p.m.

Wasn't the whole idea of Jumbo originally to be built with Japanese and euro money like 25 years ago?