"Jumbo Glacier officially becomes resort municipality"

June 19, 2015, 9:27 a.m.

kind of indicative of the project overall given that when they finally got the green light , they couldn't put enough infrastructure on the ground . considering what they had gone through to get to that point , i would have expected a great flurry of activity , especially considering the developers knew there was/is a deadline to establish a footprint .

i read somewhere they had laid the foundation for the day lodge in the outrun of an avalanche path .

Yup:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jumbo-glacier-resort-s-future-in-doubt-after-avalanche-report-1.3049005

The whole project made no sense.

No big population close to the area. Nearest is Calgary and the customers would have to drive past 5 ski hills to get to Jumbo.

There also isn't an international airport, the nearest is the regional airport near Cranbrook.

I'm not sure who they thought the customers were going to be. There are already a bunch of ski hills in the East Kootenays, just going to skim off some of their customers?

June 19, 2015, 9:39 a.m.

so they are probably going to argue that delays in construction were a result of " proceeding cautiously " , out of " environmental concerns " ?

meanwhile , garibaldi at squamish ( GAS , unfortunate acronym ) thinks they can generate 800,000 visits from new enthusiasts without any impact on whistler .

June 19, 2015, 10:14 a.m.

Yup:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jumbo-glacier-resort-s-future-in-doubt-after-avalanche-report-1.3049005

The whole project made no sense.

No big population close to the area. Nearest is Calgary and the customers would have to drive past 5 ski hills to get to Jumbo.

There also isn't an international airport, the nearest is the regional airport near Cranbrook.

I'm not sure who they thought the customers were going to be. There are already a bunch of ski hills in the East Kootenays, just going to skim off some of their customers?

We would have purchased a condo.

June 19, 2015, 10:31 a.m.

I still haven't read a convincing argument regarding the business case for Jumbo. Would love to see the pitch they are using on investors trying to drum up cash to get that thing off the ground.

As an avid skier who grew up in Calgary and has spent time at all the regional hills from back in my race days, I just cannot fathom many people from Calgary making the trip when they could drive less and be at Sunshine/Louise/Kicking Horse/Fernie/Panorama and even Revelstoke. Destination visits? Yeah, big spending folks are going to be stoked to fly into Cranbrook (extra leg from major airport) and take a 2.5+ hour bus/car ride to get up to Jumbo. The logistics aren't any better for destination visitors than Revelstoke, in fact they might be worse. Year-round skiing? Gimmick, outside of race/freeski camps. Where is the damn business case for this thing? At this point Oberti must see it as his life goal and want to get it done at all costs.

Also looks like amateur hour re: lodge foundations in a major avalanche path.

June 19, 2015, 2:50 p.m.

Woot!

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 19, 2015, 4:18 p.m.

I'd like to know what happened to the $310 000 our wonderful government kicked in to build a "municipality" up there. Someone still got rich..

June 19, 2015, 5:02 p.m.

We would have purchased a condo.

Even with the uncertainty involved?

June 19, 2015, 5:03 p.m.

I'd like to know what happened to the $310 000 our wonderful government kicked in to build a "municipality" up there. Someone still got rich..

Well, I'm sure that $310,000 cost the recipients at least $150,000.

June 30, 2015, 10:04 p.m.

Oberti has other irons in the fire with substantially more community and FN support. (www.valemountglaciers.com) Some speculation that they let Jumbo die to pursue greener pastures…

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

July 1, 2015, 3:53 p.m.

Oberti has other irons in the fire with substantially more community and FN support. (www.valemountglaciers.com) Some speculation that they let Jumbo die to pursue greener pastures…

I don't know as much about the proposed Valemount development but the location is even worse than Jumbo as far as proximity to major centres. Not to mention the joy of traveling on Hwy 16 from Edmonton or PG. Also what's with the obsession on summer skiing? Is there any data to show it's a viable market (especially in North America in a remote area), it doesn't seem like something people are going to travel regionally/internationally for crappy glacier skiing in the summer in a province with so much other summer recreation available. Outside of training camps it's a gimmick.

July 5, 2015, 5:27 p.m.

I don't know as much about the proposed Valemount development but the location is even worse than Jumbo as far as proximity to major centres. Not to mention the joy of traveling on Hwy 16 from Edmonton or PG. Also what's with the obsession on summer skiing? Is there any data to show it's a viable market (especially in North America in a remote area), it doesn't seem like something people are going to travel regionally/internationally for crappy glacier skiing in the summer in a province with so much other summer recreation available. Outside of training camps it's a gimmick.

Yeah it does seem like a bit of a risky venture, but I think it's mostly other investor's cash on the line, not Oberti's so much. In terms of selling proposition, they are banking on snow quality (one of the reasons many high class heli-ski operations are located in the area), proximity to Mt. Robson and the Jasper National Park, and sightseeing opportunities in the summer. As far as the summer glacier skiing - it does seem very niche and I also wonder what kind of demand there will be for that, outside of ski teams and professional athletes.
There is no doubt that it is fairly remote, but it does have some larger communities within a number of hours (3 to PG, 3 to Kamloops, 5 to Edmo). There is also an airport very near the proposed resort base, which could allow for fly-in access essentially. I'm interested to see how this will play out - they are pursuing this development very aggressively at this point. The project is small enough that it will not need to go through a formal Environmental Assessment process and the developers are hopeful that they can begin construction next spring. There has been talks about trying to have some basic infrastructure in and usable for Christmas 2016, though that seems very ambitious.

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

Sept. 17, 2015, 2:29 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNRYgn7T2C4

Jumbo Wild.

March 17, 2016, 9:34 a.m.

The Jumbo Glacier project battle continues:

Supreme Court to hear Ktunaxa Nation opposition to Jumbo ski resort
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jumbo-ktunaxa-nation-supreme-court-of-canada-1.3495494

March 17, 2016, 10:18 a.m.

The Jumbo Wild documentary is now on Netflix.

March 17, 2016, 10:39 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNRYgn7T2C4

Jumbo Wild.

Maybe it's just me, but if you are making a doc about keeping a ski resort away from Jumbo why put in the sweet skiing clips?