"Jumbo Glacier officially becomes resort municipality"

Nov. 21, 2012, 3:49 p.m.

I'm sure the guy who has squatted on the westerly access road for the past 25 years will dynamite a few things, he seems like the fanatical type. He's already known for causing alot of problems in the area

Nov. 21, 2012, 4:28 p.m.

listening to CKNW today, they were all for it. They said there was lots of support and people were this critical about Whistler when it first opened.

Biggest difference, which is KEY to W/B success… a major city/airport less then two hours away and a major American population base 3-5 hours away.

They also cited the success of Lake Louise and Banff in the summer as an example of how successful this can be… again, proximity to Calgary and its the Rocky's which help with its success.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 21, 2012, 4:31 p.m.

I wonder how many of the people that support this have even visited that part of the Purcells?

Nov. 21, 2012, 4:40 p.m.

Overcoming the odds
Despite 22 years of controversy, it appears Jumbo Glacier Resort, North America’s most dramatic ski area development in decades, is at the finish line.

http://skicanadamag.com/2012/09/28/travel/overcoming-the-odds

Nov. 21, 2012, 4:50 p.m.

I have wanted to go here for some time, suppose I'll have to hurry, now, before the area is ruined.

Nov. 21, 2012, 8:33 p.m.

Nutty idea is completely nutty… we regularly make the 9+hour drive to Panorama from North Van (due to free ski-in,ski-out accom via Calgary relatives) and have enjoyed fantastic skiing with zero crowds at Christmas and Spring Break. A great family mountain with plenty of epic steeps and deeps in the Tayton Bowl and Extreme Dream Zone. And it takes days to get skied out. So where are these crowds going to come from, considering that people will have to go right past Panorama? Esp considering Pano is completely under-utilized. I really don't get how any money can possibly be made.

Nov. 21, 2012, 8:57 p.m.

the gov't types behind this will tell you :

" this sends a strong message that BC is open for business "

everyone wants a piece of the " best place on earth " , right ?

Nov. 21, 2012, 9:10 p.m.

Soooo why was there no vote for this?

Nov. 22, 2012, 3:11 p.m.

So where are these crowds going to come from, considering that people will have to go right past Panorama? Esp considering Pano is completely under-utilized. I really don't get how any money can possibly be made.

Jet Flys in. Guests whisked away to Jumbo. Stay for 2 weeks. Whisked back to Jet. Fly 1/2 way around world back to motherland

It was included in the move to HST vote

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 22, 2012, 3:15 p.m.

Was there a vote on where you could build your house?

If we're placing bets, I'll say bankrupt 3 years after opening. 1 year will be considered a wash because they're new. 2nd they will really try and push things. With the 3rd shitty year, investor $$ will stop coming in. This will go the same way as the yellowstone club.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Nov. 22, 2012, 3:24 p.m.

I just don't see where the population is to support this project, which may actually not have any real funding behind it at this time. Revy is no more or less accessible to a major urban centre and it's great real estate plan is near belly-up with a great ski area that is barely functional from an economic perspective.

I think focussing human use in specific zones, rather than letting them spread all over our mountains is a good thing, but the level of permanent damage done to the sub-alpine and below alpine ecosystem (the non-glaciated areas) in order to create runs for the proportionately small and/or wealthy users to get to their base area with 17 massive chalet's (i.e. - a massive piece of road-building and drainage work for an elite few), seems irresponsible at best. Simply put, it's too much impact for far too few. This is where environment meets economy, and environment is the clear winner on this one

Feb. 19, 2013, 1:32 p.m.

Controversial Jumbo municipality to be created in B.C.

The B.C. government will officially create the Mountain Resort Municipality of Jumbo Glacier with a new mayor and council, but no residents, despite ongoing opposition, on Tuesday.

Story continued here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/02/18/bc-jumbo-resort-creation.html

Feb. 19, 2013, 2:27 p.m.

And in related news:

Avalanche kills heli-skier on B.C.'s Jumbo Glacier
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/02/19/bc-jumbo-avalanche-skier-killed.html

Feb. 19, 2013, 4:10 p.m.

^Mainstream Media should run with that story and have it be the death-blow to kibosh the whole scandal

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 19, 2013, 4:18 p.m.

in other headlines The Municipality of Jumbo Glacier is the most dangerous place to live in Canada

Based on per-capita numbers