"Jumbo Glacier officially becomes resort municipality"

Nov. 20, 2012, 5:02 p.m.

Someone must be paying for it…

must be all the Chinese ski tourists…

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 20, 2012, 5:45 p.m.

Same as Garibaldi at Squamish, this is all about the real estate. More lifts = more crown land for the developer to clear cut and build condos on. Money money money, when will the fucking bullshit stop? If there is such a demand for that product, why not densify existing operations that already have the infrastructure in place? Because they'll make more money destroying jumbo and putting shitty condos up.

Nov. 20, 2012, 5:51 p.m.

If there is such a demand for that product, why not densify existing operations that already have the infrastructure in place?

Because nobody is buying that property so might as well open up something new?

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Nov. 20, 2012, 6:40 p.m.

same government acting like the same assholes

Nov. 20, 2012, 7:32 p.m.

Anything that pulls people away from Revy is a good thing.

No.

Nov. 20, 2012, 7:33 p.m.

I must be missing something, because this just doesn't make sense to me.

Nov. 20, 2012, 7:49 p.m.

i typed in the location into my GPS. a 9 hour drive… and your airport is… what cranbrook? I don't see the sense.

But don't turn this into another Christy bashing thread, Mr. Glen Clark started it… it just keeps rolling. I just don't see anyone in favour.

Nov. 20, 2012, 8:51 p.m.

Hasn't the main proponent of this said that the funding for this development has been in place for years?

BC to get its very own Yellowstone Club:greedy:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 20, 2012, 8:56 p.m.

I'm failing to see how they expect to make money.

The real estate model is generally failed in this economy. It also doens't help that there is no shortage of real estate for sale at many of the interior mountains. The distinct lack of a RELIABLE international airport is what kills all of the resorts more than 3-4 hours from Calgary or Edmonton. Hell even Revy can't rely on Kelowna because that highway shuts down whenever it snows a couple inches.

Nov. 20, 2012, 10:09 p.m.

As someone in the comments section of the CBC story said, this is about selling real estate to Albertans with oil money, not the actual ski area.

As an Albertan, I won't be buying my first ski cabin on a resort that I won't have time to access on a weekend whim.

Nov. 21, 2012, 12:11 p.m.

Dunno' did I read here or advert spiel that the place, having year 'round skiing is aimed at the uber-wealthy.
Some right here amoung readers of this board.
Just helo in when ever the jonesing to slide on snow hits………..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 21, 2012, 12:54 p.m.

BTW the government, by pushing through an Order in Council to create what the locals did not want, have put the taxpayer on the hook for the costs of this municipality. That means we are paying the salaries and costs of this council that was just put in place, for a town with zero residents.

It also means that if the road into the proposed town centre ever gets built, we, the taxpayers are on the hook for all avalanche and flood repair, clearing, etc. there are almost a dozen avalanche zones on that road.

With the stroke of a pen, the government have put us on the hook for hundreds of millions of dollars of costs for a resort that if it ever gets off the ground will fail and we will be on the hook for those costs.

This is a billion dollar boondoggle with zero oversight and total contempt for the people of the province.

Unforgivable.

im sure people will try but cant blame the ndp this time…

Nov. 21, 2012, 1:24 p.m.

Well - everyone needs a Tamarack!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 21, 2012, 1:26 p.m.

Well - everyone needs a Tamarack!

Good bit about the bankruptcy on Wikipedia…maybe we should start a pool to see how soon Jumbo files for creditor protection??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarack_Resort

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 21, 2012, 3:38 p.m.

Good bit about the bankruptcy on Wikipedia…maybe we should start a pool to see how soon Jumbo files for creditor protection??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarack_Resort

Mark me down for 100 on 2 years after opening day, +/-2 months.