Jian Ghomeshi & CBC no longer

Oct. 29, 2014, 10:06 a.m.

DrewM hits nail on head.

:canada:

Oct. 29, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

hey-jian-ghomeshi-i-call-bs

Oct. 29, 2014, 10:21 a.m.

I don't disagree, but I think then we need to look at addressing privacy and sensitivity towards the victims/accusers then to allow them to feel comfortable to bring their claims to the police without fear of those kinds of repercussions. But I also don't believe that allowing anonymous accusations should be acceptable, if something happened it should be reported to police so that it can be properly investigated, and not just turned into a PR battle in the media. Maybe we aren't there yet, but the status quo certainly does not give people confidence, either in the justice system to protect the vulnerable, or in giving the anonymous accusers much benefit of the doubt.

Oct. 29, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

I don't disagree, but I think then we need to look at addressing privacy and sensitivity towards the victims/accusers then to allow them to feel comfortable to bring their claims to the police without fear of those kinds of repercussions. But I also don't believe that allowing anonymous accusations should be acceptable, if something happened it should be reported to police so that it can be properly investigated, and not just turned into a PR battle in the media. Maybe we aren't there yet, but the status quo certainly does not give people confidence, either in the justice system to protect the vulnerable, or in giving the anonymous accusers much benefit of the doubt.

We the people (as represented by The Harper) are changing the law so I can accuse you of being a terrorist without any risk of my name ever being publicized (including from FOI), but if you rape me and I want to press charges there are two trials -- mine with my friends/family/media/etc right away, and yours in a courtroom two years later when no one gives a shit anymore.

If you punch me in the face it doesn't matter what I'm wearing, but if you punch me in the face and then bugger me against my will it matters how many buttons were undone on my dress shirt and what colour my tie is?

I think we can agree the system is #%$!ed. And, in view of this system and "benefit of the doubt" I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the Toronto Star legal team. I note that JG has sued the CBC (a lawsuit that will be thrown out for procedural reasons re. union employee apparently) but his high priced legal and PR team haven't done any posturing vis-a-vis the Star?

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Oct. 29, 2014, 11:57 a.m.

But I also don't believe that allowing anonymous accusations should be acceptable, if something happened it should be reported to police so that it can be properly investigated, and not just turned into a PR battle in the media.

I am not sure how you can stop people from speaking to the media or anyone else anonymously. This is the essence of the whistle blower.

Oct. 29, 2014, 12:09 p.m.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it FlipFantasia again."

Oct. 29, 2014, 4:49 p.m.

The we need to hear both sides argument is going to look very silly when we are at 8, 10, 15 women -- and it is doubtless that this is where the story will head. Especially if someone does have the … to come out publicly (in which case, my heart goes out to them).

D

One more alleged victim to add to the list: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/10/29/jian-ghomeshi-cbc-as-it-happens_n_6071256.html

Audio is definitely more complete than the article (which is a partial transcript). In particular, the woman explains why she didn't come forward at the time of incident and why she is speaking out now.

also, another woman to be interviewed on The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti tomorrow.

:canada: :czech:

Oct. 29, 2014, 6:10 p.m.

having followed this story for the last couple of days online , it now makes more sense why these woman haven't filed police reports.. i def think jian has assaulted these woman and that he is now deservedly fucked..

i still think they should file formal police complaints…

Oct. 29, 2014, 6:54 p.m.

My partner was the victim of a sexual assault years ago (minor compared to this shit) and she is a tough women. I can't speak for her but I know it was shocking and paralyzing in the moment. I can fully understand why these women wouldn't report or do more. Once she got home, she had some time to process what had happened and we went back together.

I just finished listening to the CBC - As it Happens interview. It made me want to weep. It made me think of my own second hand hand experience and I can understand why this woman didn't initially come forward and I applaud her for coming forward now.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Oct. 29, 2014, 7:49 p.m.

I guess i'm thinking the only way to stop people like this is to report them.. I can see why people might not want to come forward. I thought i read somewhere that names can be withheld in assault cases like this. Im stunned and bummed , i will admit i was a fan.. Not anymore..

Oct. 29, 2014, 8:01 p.m.

I'm no legal expert,but is it kosher for the CBC to be reporting on this at this time?

I too was a fan of his….utterly disappointed.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 29, 2014, 8:10 p.m.

I'm no legal expert,but is it kosher for the CBC to be reporting on this at this time?

It's the news. It would be ridiculous if they were not reporting on it.

How many anonymous women are we at as of this evening?

11 between The Star and various CBC radio and tv properties?

Oct. 29, 2014, 8:22 p.m.

It's the news. It would be ridiculous if they were not reporting on it.

How many anonymous women are we at as of this evening?

11 between The Star and various CBC radio and tv properties?

just wondering, seeing as the might be complicit in not thoroughly investigating the workplace complaint and that they could be the defendant in a court case.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 29, 2014, 8:23 p.m.

….and one of the women has gone public fwiw.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 29, 2014, 9:51 p.m.

….and one of the women has gone public fwiw.

Very brave. Much braver then I would be.

***Edit: This whole situation is sad and getting sadder: Do you know about Jian? www.nothinginwinnipeg.com/2014/10/do-you-know-about-jian

D