Jetta TDI/Golf TDI. Yay or Nay?

April 8, 2013, 1:50 p.m.

Looking for a new car that's good on gas but still drives nice. Finally drove a Jetta TDI today and liked it. What could I expect from VW and the TDI? Reliable? Longevity?

April 8, 2013, 2 p.m.

Tdi's are awesome. Year, model do make a difference. There were some years that had a few bugs. I just purchased my second one and am very happy with it.

April 8, 2013, 2:04 p.m.

Tdi's are awesome. Year, model do make a difference. There were some years that had a few bugs. I just purchased my second one and am very happy with it.

I would be looking at the current models, 2011 and up I believe.

April 8, 2013, 2:08 p.m.

I would be looking at the current models, 2011 and up I believe.

Zed is more of an expert on the current stuff then me. So I will hold my tongue. I know the new jettas are sure alot bigger than they used to be.

April 8, 2013, 2:13 p.m.

Never driven one myself, but the couple people that I know who own 'em really love 'em.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 8, 2013, 2:19 p.m.

TDI's pay for themselves if you plan on having it for a long time or are putting a lot of miles on it. If you're the average low miles driver or plan on trading it in in 5 years you'd be better off to buy the regular 2.5L, they are cheaper, produce good power, get good mileage and are a lot less expensive to maintain.

April 8, 2013, 3:14 p.m.

Apparently the new high pressure common rail ones have issues with the high pressure pump. That's what I've read on them not sure if it's a problem with the pump itself or the people using shitty fuel/neglecting service or what. My mom's got an 03 and it's been really good. 4.5 litres on 100k.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 8, 2013, 5:55 p.m.

TDI's pay for themselves if you plan on having it for a long time or are putting a lot of miles on it. If you're the average low miles driver or plan on trading it in in 5 years you'd be better off to buy the regular 2.5L, they are cheaper, produce good power, get good mileage and are a lot less expensive to maintain.

Good info. Though I would get something with the 2.0l turbo

Apparently the new high pressure common rail ones have issues with the high pressure pump. That's what I've read on them not sure if it's a problem with the pump itself or the people using shitty fuel/neglecting service or what. My mom's got an 03 and it's been really good. 4.5 litres on 100k.

The Jettas and Golfs are experiencing the HPFP issues - particularly from 2009-2011. If I were to buy a new VW TDI, I would only buy the Passat or the Touareg TDI. The Passat is getting high 40mpg+ - one tester got over 80mpg.

April 8, 2013, 6:17 p.m.

Wish the tiguan came tdi and 5spd/ Well thats not true cause i probably wouldn't buy one anyways, but it would be cool if it did.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 8, 2013, 8:01 p.m.

Also the new turbo hybrid?

April 8, 2013, 8:16 p.m.

Good info. Though I would get something with the 2.0l turbo

The Jettas and Golfs are experiencing the HPFP issues - particularly from 2009-2011. If I were to buy a new VW TDI, I would only buy the Passat or the Touareg TDI. The Passat is getting high 40mpg+ - one tester got over 80mpg.

It isn't as common as one may believe. There is a very vocal minority on TDI Club that have had issues. Possibly a fuel issue who knows. I asked the dealer about it, and they mentioned a couple ones back East. Nothing to lose sleep over.

I have a 2011 Gold TDI. 60,000km, 4 oil changes, 2 fuel filters. Did all the changes myself. One visit to the dealer for a warranty installation of fuel rail dampers. That's it, that's all. First major work will be needed at 180,000km….timing belt.

It's been awesome, and in 40K it's going to Malone Tuning for a Stage2:-)

Burnaby to Nelson, around Nelson, and back on 58L of fuel. I also averaged 4.4L/100km going to Seattle and back. I think it cost me $15 in fuel:-)

April 8, 2013, 8:58 p.m.

It isn't as common as one may believe. There is a very vocal minority on TDI Club that have had issues. Possibly a fuel issue who knows. I asked the dealer about it, and they mentioned a couple ones back East. Nothing to lose sleep over.

I have a 2011 Gold TDI. 60,000km, 4 oil changes, 2 fuel filters. Did all the changes myself. One visit to the dealer for a warranty installation of fuel rail dampers. That's it, that's all. First major work will be needed at 180,000km….timing belt.

It's been awesome, and in 40K it's going to Malone Tuning for a Stage2:-)

Burnaby to Nelson, around Nelson, and back on 58L of fuel. I also averaged 4.4L/100km going to Seattle and back. I think it cost me $15 in fuel:-)

This all sounds very promising. Our Prius (the gf's) is averaging 4.8L. However the Prius in fact cheaper to purchase and comes with more standard features…bluetooth, streaming audio, usb. All techy stuff but that should be standard on all cars these days.

April 8, 2013, 9:18 p.m.

make sure to check/replace (google?) your Mass AirFlow sensor.

If you unplug it and performance doesn't significantly and immediately suffer, it's time for a replacement.

They are known to foul up/malfunction on the TDI's.

April 8, 2013, 9:24 p.m.

you're going to love the Malone tune. I have a few upgrades on my MK4 and a custom Malone Stage 4. Makes commuting a lot of fun and still getting 1000km per tank

Nonetheless, a car with known issues that can cost upwards of $6k to fix is always something to consider.

April 8, 2013, 10:07 p.m.

you're going to love the Malone tune. I have a few upgrades on my MK4 and a custom Malone Stage 4. Makes commuting a lot of fun and still getting 1000km per tank

Nonetheless, a car with known issues that can cost upwards of $6k to fix is always something to consider.

Looking forward to it! I still have sellers remorse after I sold my stage 2 STI when I moved back from Calgary. I need some redemption. The Malone tune itself is a great value, but few choices exist for down pipes. So a DP, DPF and EGR delete are insanely expensive. It would also need suspension tuning and wheel/rubber to deal with the freaky torque. And then a clutch……