Itunes sucks

Jan. 8, 2015, 10:22 a.m.

I cannot imagine how on earth anyone could have trouble with iTunes. It is completely idiot proof.

I have 5 different music libraries comprising just a tad over 3 TB spread over a laptop and two portable hard drives.

I use 5 different iPods plus my phone. The music is sorted by genre, artist, album, era, etc.

All of it managed and synced with iTunes and it could not possibly be easier to use or to find exactly what I am looking for, when I am looking for it.

I see threads like this and really wonder how on earth anyone could find iTunes difficult to use.

I do this and have zero problems with iTunes. My primary complaint is that they keep messing with the interface and I have to relearn where buttons live.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 8, 2015, 10:47 a.m.

I do this and have zero problems with iTunes. My primary complaint is that they keep messing with the interface and I have to relearn where buttons live.

That's the only issue I have with iTunes. That, and all the extra crap it installs.

When I ripped my CDs (have a few hundred), I used Zortam to do mass MP3 tags editing. Works pretty good.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 8, 2015, 10:52 a.m.

That and, if you are not on a Mac, it really is a pig on resources.

Jan. 8, 2015, 10:56 a.m.

Tags, playlists. WTF. I am in way over my head. I have albums and they were made by artists who gave them names. I down loaded media monkey and had a look at it and it does not seem that different from itunes, still came up with a bunch of dupicates. even on files that came from original CD's. I am going to have to spend a bit of time to figure itunes or media monkey out.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Jan. 8, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

Will any of these magic tagger programs fix my genres? I've kept up with my tags for quite a few years now, but never touched the genre. Now it's a clusterfuck, and I'd love to make easy genre based playlists.

Jan. 8, 2015, 1:39 p.m.

Will any of these magic tagger programs fix my genres? I've kept up with my tags for quite a few years now, but never touched the genre. Now it's a clusterfuck, and I'd love to make easy genre based playlists.

I try not to get too granular with the genres. I try and keep them relatively coarse so they can be maximally inclusive.

In iTunes you can select a bunch of tracks at once and right click and select 'show info' and bulk assign tags. This is useful for grouping albums, album art, assigned release year and genre.

You can also select lots of tracks at once in different ways. If you hold shift and click two tracks it will select everything in between. Or you can select non-consecutive tracks by holding down the command key.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 9, 2015, 10:35 p.m.

I dont get it, there has to be a better option for managing music on my iphone. anyone, anyone? I am tired of the countless duplicate files that seem to get added every time I update the music on on my phone and how hard it is to remove them. It also seems to organize artists and albums completely at random. not that i have played with it that much, it frustrates me too much to spend the time to figure it out. is there a better option out there?

Joe, you need a tween or teen around to solve these types of 1st world problems. Then you teach 'em how to to fix all of your other broken sh##…or have them teach you. Imagine having your bike fixed or the oil in your car changed.

Ride More Bitch Less

Jan. 10, 2015, 9:50 a.m.

iTunes Match. $25/yr access to all my music anytime, easy to download anything I want to listen to offline.

Jan. 10, 2015, 10:04 a.m.

Ned; Even if I start now, It'll take me years to produce productive labor, so anytime you want to contract out the groms. personally I might just boot the whole thing off the deck and start collecting vinyl.

Jan. 12, 2015, 10:50 a.m.

iTunes Match. $25/yr access to all my music anytime, easy to download anything I want to listen to offline.

I have tried using this but need to get a new computer before I can finish the upload.

Jan. 12, 2015, 12:05 p.m.

I recently discovered that Google Play Music is now available on my office network, so I spent some time last week uploading ~5500 songs (up to 20,000 for free) so I'd have more variety than what is on my phone. Over half of the songs were "matched", so weren't actually uploaded. So far, playback on my computer and various devices has been great.

Jan. 12, 2015, 6:45 p.m.

So Tidal really is serving lossless music. The quality is really easy to spot compared to Spotify and Rdio.

Streaming services aren't that useful if you've decided on the music you're going to listen to for the rest of your life, but if you like listening to new stuff, it's really not even an argument anymore.

If you like music you need either Rdio or Spotify and if you really like music, Tidal.

Jan. 12, 2015, 7:38 p.m.

tidal looks interesting. i live on a very limited data plan and do regular road trips. so there are some limitations for me with steaming services. but for home it makes sense.

I tend to really get into bands I like. find every thing that they and all their members have ever done and listen to it all. so at this point in life, if a band does not have a deep back catalogue I am unlikely to invest much time or money in them.

Jan. 12, 2015, 7:43 p.m.

Yeah, I think Rdio is getting the boot and I'll keep Spotify and Tidal.

Jan. 12, 2015, 8:37 p.m.

Ned; Even if I start now, It'll take me years to produce productive labor, so anytime you want to contract out the groms. personally I might just boot the whole thing off the deck and start collecting vinyl.

my groms prefer vinyl, the garage is chock full of vinyl strewn everywhere from them running DJ on my ghetto sound system.

on productivity, it'll bite your ass so fast your head'll spin :-)

Ride More Bitch Less