It's official ... we suck at traffic!

July 12, 2012, 11:25 p.m.

Commuter?

From the ad:

new insp., gets good mileage around 15 on open road, just not fast!

July 13, 2012, 10:18 a.m.

After reading everyones post and watching all the videos posted I only have 2 things to add.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

"Change before you have to" - Jack Welch

July 13, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

vancouver traffic is not even close to the worst. seattle is a frikkin joke town for traffic.

ive heard LA might be not great either.

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

July 13, 2012, 11:27 a.m.

vancouver traffic is not even close to the worst. seattle is a frikkin joke town for traffic.

ive heard LA might be not great either.

Vancouver is the most traffic-congested city in Canada and the second most congested in North America — behind only Los Angeles — says a report by an Amsterdam-based company that produces vehicle-navigation systems.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/11/vancouver-traffic-worst-in-canada-study-says/

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 13, 2012, 12:25 p.m.

Boston, Dallas Ft.Worth, Seattle, LA.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 13, 2012, 2:29 p.m.

8 lanes good, 4 lanes bad.

Des

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner'.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

July 13, 2012, 10:42 p.m.

Today sucked big, 3 incidents on the way to work and 3 on the way home.

http://carcraftautorepair.ca/

Follow Us On FaceBook

July 14, 2012, 8:55 a.m.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/07/11/vancouver-traffic-worst-in-canada-study-says/

"City of Vancouver staff noted the number of vehicle trips into downtown Vancouver in the past 15 years have decreased by 20%. That’s a result of an increase in transit, cycling and walking."

This is somewhat encouraging. Drivers of non-commercial SOVs should have to pay a toll during peak hours, with special exemptions for people with things like disabilities etc. The money should go to fund transportation alternatives. Otherwise we all pay to keep growing and growing traffic infrastructure for NO NET DECREASE in traffic congestion.

July 14, 2012, 9:35 a.m.

"City of Vancouver staff noted the number of vehicle trips into downtown Vancouver in the past 15 years have decreased by 20%. That

July 14, 2012, 9:43 a.m.

"City of Vancouver staff noted the number of vehicle trips into downtown Vancouver in the past 15 years have decreased by 20%. That’s a result of an increase in transit, cycling and walking."

This is somewhat encouraging. Drivers of non-commercial SOVs should have to pay a toll during peak hours, with special exemptions for people with things like disabilities etc. The money should go to fund transportation alternatives. Otherwise we all pay to keep growing and growing traffic infrastructure for NO NET DECREASE in traffic congestion.

How about like I suggested in the last traffic thread we had two years ago that d/t should be
pedestrian only with exemptions for transport vehicles, buses, residents, cripples, bicycles and taxis.

City makes a bunch of park n ride parking lots on main and minor arteries coming into
town. Increase bus and rail routes, and for the few that are allowed to drive you put
toll booth style readers like the iPass system where you get a special plate, the booth
has a reader that reads the front/rear plate. There's no arm so there's no stopping and
if someone goes through without the special plate the cops get alerted and they can easily
track you down and fine you. It may not work for ALL of Vancouver, but it would work for
many parts of it and for sure it would work in Victoria.

The biggest problem with making more roads into town (or bigger ones) is that the amount
of roads IN town are finite. NYC is a good example of that and LA is an example of that
on a grand scale. They made more roads in the 80's (91 extension) and made the roads wider
to accommodate the increase in traffic (405, 7. 110 ++) but it's still backed up because
people cannot get off the highway as fast as they're getting on it. It used to be you
could take the main streets (Crenshaw and such) when the freeway got full, now it's all
full.

The ONLY way to solve the issue is to reduce the traffic.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

July 14, 2012, 11:04 a.m.

Traffic in the downtown core isn't bad. Richmond is worse.

Lots of stalls yesterday. They should have cranes on the bridge that pick up stalled vehicles and drop them into the river.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 17, 2012, 4:03 p.m.

Why the hell do people feel the need to brake [HTML_REMOVED] gawk at a car accident westbound on the freeway when they're going eastbound? Today eastbound traffic came to a stop [HTML_REMOVED] all it was, was an accident westbound. Drivers; fack what has happened in the other lanes. Nevermind, it's none of your concern. Keep driving, people have places to go ya know! Also, seniors get off the road before afternoon rush hour. (Seniors are kinda the opposite of vampires. They come out after morning rush [HTML_REMOVED] have to be back in before the afternoon).

Thread killer

Dec. 17, 2012, 8:23 p.m.

Rock a scooter and slay traffic.

Dec. 18, 2012, 6:15 p.m.

When it snows, the least drivers can do is clear their windows of snow. Driving down the road peering thru a snowy windshield is not good. That [HTML_REMOVED] summer tires.

Thread killer

Dec. 18, 2012, 7:23 p.m.

When it snows, the least drivers can do is clear their windows of snow. Driving down the road peering thru a snowy windshield is not good. That [HTML_REMOVED] summer tires.

Summer tires on a car when the temperature is below 3 degrees should be grounds for a seven day impoundment. That shit is worse than drunk driving.