Issue with SUV traction control - seeking arm-chair car mechanics

July 20, 2018, 9:22 a.m.

Disclaimer - I have an appointment next week to have my mechanic take a look.

Over the past two weeks or so, while driving our Hyundai Santa Fe (manual), the traction control will suddenly come on in 2nd or 3rd gear (randomly, not every time we drive), the wheels brake suddenly, and the tachometer stops reading (drops to zero). You can continue to drive, and the traction control light will stay on, the tac stays at zero, and its now almost like there is a rev governor...it won't let you rev higher anymore, and forces you to up-shift.

It feels like a faulty traction control sensor, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with this? The voice in the back of my head is saying "your transmission is toast"...but I'm trying to ignore that possibility.

Cheers,
Gord

July 21, 2018, 8:38 p.m.

Sounds like your feelings are correct.

July 21, 2018, 9:46 p.m.

Posted by: Taz123

Disclaimer - I have an appointment next week to have my mechanic take a look.

Over the past two weeks or so, while driving our Hyundai Santa Fe (manual), the traction control will suddenly come on in 2nd or 3rd gear (randomly, not every time we drive), the wheels brake suddenly, and the tachometer stops reading (drops to zero). You can continue to drive, and the traction control light will stay on, the tac stays at zero, and its now almost like there is a rev governor...it won't let you rev higher anymore, and forces you to up-shift.

It feels like a faulty traction control sensor, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with this? The voice in the back of my head is saying "your transmission is toast"...but I'm trying to ignore that possibility.

Cheers,
Gord

Whats your mileage and how are your tires looking? Do you have any dash button for a DSC/ESC type function? If you do have a button, press it and see if its the same result. If I launch my car with the DSC on, the TC grabs and jolts the car back for a (violent) split second and then regains control as it detecting wheel spin and no control. If you have balding tires then it'd be something similar. Start with the dash button and see if it replicates or doesnt. It sounds more like a sensor issue than an actual mechanical one. I once plugged a DashHawk (scantool) into a rental Malibu to randomly monitor the engine and it instantly put the car in limp mode.

You should also google your make and model and TSB or technical service bulletin.

Good luck Gord and hope its not expensive.

July 22, 2018, 10:23 a.m.

Thanks for the responses.

When I drive with the DSC/ESC button depressed, it still happens. Mileage is at ~125k, tires are on their last summer. Unfortunately, no re-calls on this one, and my googling skills have come up with nothing.

July 22, 2018, 1:13 p.m.

Thanks for the responses.

When I drive with the DSC/ESC button depressed, it still happens. Mileage is at ~125k, tires are on their last summer. Unfortunately, no re-calls on this one, and my googling skills have come up with nothing.

Is there a particular speed it happens at? And what year is your santa fe? If there was a tsb, not a recall, you may be out of the mileage or extended warranty and dealerships dont want to do these (usually).

I have a faulty wheel speed sensor that when it trips itself, it'll shut off my abs/tc/dcs. But it doesnt affect motion and luckily it only trips at above average highway speeds. I'm hopeful that its either the tire tread is too low and one system is picking up drift basically or its a basic fix. Could also be your clutch. This could be a good time to see if your clutch pedal is adjustable to :)

July 22, 2018, 1:20 p.m.

Good thought on the clutch - I will ask my mechanic to take a look.

There isn't a specific speed this happens - but it us usually in 2nd or 3rd on accellerating - so say 40-60kph range.

2010 is the Santa Fe, and since I'm over 100k, I assume the warranty won't apply.

July 22, 2018, 1:35 p.m.

Good thought on the clutch - I will ask my mechanic to take a look.

There isn't a specific speed this happens - but it us usually in 2nd or 3rd on accellerating - so say 40-60kph range.

2010 is the Santa Fe, and since I'm over 100k, I assume the warranty won't apply.

Whats your extended or powertrain warranty like? Some mfgr's have two; least mine did.

This lists over 7 pages of tsb's for your year and make... https://www.automd.com/tsb/hyundai_m/santa-fe_mm/2010_y/

* This one lists a throttle body issue for you: NHTSA ID: 10052144 TSB ID: TSB-13-FL-002

When my throttle body went, which Mazda had a tsb for, it did two things. It would stutter, buck and put along until I pulled over and restarted it. Or it'd just stall. This one actually seems more likely given your description. I'd say less than $3-500 with parts and labor. Also, call a dealership for comparison quotes as sometimes, they arent *that* bad (lol?).

July 23, 2018, 8:15 a.m.

First thing I would do is reset the OBD system with a reader. If you don't have one disconnect the battery completely to reset it.

See if that works, if not off to the mechanic.

July 23, 2018, 11:34 a.m.

I will give it a shot (battery disconnect) tonight. Thanks.

July 23, 2018, 11:46 a.m.

if you need access to a scan tool I have one you can use to see if the car is throwing any codes depending where you are/timing/etc. if you have a bad sensor it should come up.

July 23, 2018, 12:22 p.m.

The more these issues come up in vehicles with the huge amount of sensors. The more I miss my 1991 pathfinder, this shit was never an issue,  400K before I sold it. 

My cataltic in one of my subies has a bad sensor. Have to replace the whole unit which is expensive. Mechanic says it's working fine, common issue.

I just get to enjoy the check engine light. I used my reader to reset it once a week.  Tired of that, now it's black tape over check engine light.

July 23, 2018, 6:27 p.m.

Whats the chances anyone has Win7 sp3? I need to reflash my Dashhawk but need sp3, which I dont has.

July 23, 2018, 6:35 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

if you need access to a scan tool I have one you can use to see if the car is throwing any codes depending where you are/timing/etc. if you have a bad sensor it should come up.

If I remember my throttle body issue right, the code had very little to do with the TB itself. Think it was throwing a lean code at me.

July 23, 2018, 9:14 p.m.

So many possibilities this may be. 

You literally NEED to record and clear codes for the time being.

My guess is an ABS sensor.

This past fall I threw multiple codes from a miss fire.  End result was Cats were plugging off intermittently until they finally plugged completely.

July 24, 2018, 12:20 p.m.

Its the throttle body ppl.

Trust a Shogun

;)