Israel attacks humanitarian aid flotilla. multiple deaths, and even more wounded.

May 31, 2010, 11:06 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE5pGeCUM-Y

May 31, 2010, 11:07 a.m.

http://news.google.ca/news/story?pz=1[HTML_REMOVED]cf=all[HTML_REMOVED]ned=ca[HTML_REMOVED]hl=en[HTML_REMOVED]ncl=d6SIOxZilLw5QzMeca3zO69iAGoNM[HTML_REMOVED]rfilter=4

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 31, 2010, 11:13 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE5pGeCUM-Y

so appropriate!

May 31, 2010, 12:06 p.m.

I find it harder and harder to have a nuanced opinion on Israel. And in the grand scheme of things Israel has done/is doing, this incident is really pretty minor in my mind.

Absolutely, but its hard to side with the palis as well.

in the only link in this thread. Haven't watched it yet:
http://www9.gazetevatan.com/israil-turk-bayrakli-yardim-gemisinde-olum-kustu/308396/1/Gundem

That video only shows the aftermath.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

May 31, 2010, 12:07 p.m.

Not in this instance.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

May 31, 2010, 1:54 p.m.

That video only shows the aftermath.

Actually, the first minute of that video is before IDF commandos had borded the ships. People were killed and injured before they had decended from their gunships.

May 31, 2010, 2:09 p.m.

Both sides were doing something stupid and fucking illegal. Ignore the IDF @ your own peril.

How was the flotilla doing anything illegal?

The blockade on Gaza is not legal. The flotilla was NOWHERE near Israeli territory, as it was headed to the gaza strip, which, although OCCUPIED by Israel, is not israeli territory. This was the 9th time the FreeGaza ships had sailed to Gaza, but the only time they were met with force like this.

Saying the flotilla was doing something stupid is a bit silly. How is trying to deliver aid to a country that has had it's infrastucture destroyed remotely stupid? Conventional routes of delivering aid to palestine are all goverened by Israel. They have banned things like concrete and wheelchairs and even some tinned foods. This is the only possible way of getting the palestinians the help they need.

Also, Israel has tried to spin it that the aid workers fired on the IDF first, and that the IDF were attacked as they set foot on the ship without provocation, which is bullshit, because there is video footage of the turkish ship being fired upon even before the IDF has landed. They are also saying they found weapons stored on board, even though the turkish ports did a full sweet of the ship before it left their territory, and gave it the all clear.

Fucking Israel. You fucked up, hopefully this incident manages to open everyones eyes for once.

May 31, 2010, 2:15 p.m.

What is surprising is that people continue to be surprised.

Israel doesn't give a fuck. They are surrounded by countries whos leaders openly state how much they would like Israel to be wiped off the face of the earth.

Yeah they suck at being nice to their neighbours, but given the above, why are you surprised?

A group whos stated goal is to "bring attention to the blockade of Gaza" has managed to bring attention to themselves and the blockade through precipitate action. What is surprising is that it has taken them since 2008 to orchestrate this action, it's been coming since then.

The only way there will be peace in the middle east is when Israel is a glass parking lot.

May 31, 2010, 2:27 p.m.

Israel doesn't give a fuck. They are surrounded by countries whose leaders openly state how much they would like Israel to be wiped off the face of the earth.

And does the world actually know why this is the case??

Nobody wants to take a history lesson.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 31, 2010, 2:48 p.m.

Both side are screwed on this one.

It's not like these "aid workers" were behaving peacefully. Sure looks to me from the video that they were determined for a fight the second they soldiers repelled from the heli. Gas masks, vests, blunt objects. They even tossed a soldier off the boat while the next closest guy was pummeled.

The activists claim that the IDF over responded… :dizzy:

I've been reading that after shit kicking some of the commandos, the aid workers then pulled the sidearms from them and emptied the clips into the group of soldiers. Although properly armed, the Israelis were sporting paintball guns (at least they kinda tried).

Really, to reiterate what has been said, what do you expect by pulling this stunt? (referring to both sides) The IDF has a pretty clear record on shit like this. While they did know that the lead boat held 500 people determined to fight for what they believe in.

Stupidity begets stupidity.

May 31, 2010, 3:01 p.m.

the second the soldiers rappelled from the heli.

Full stop here.

Why were IDF soldiers boarding vessels in international waters? What right do they have to board a foreign vessel? Maybe I'd be in a fighting mood if some asshole dropped onto my boat from the sky with no legal right to do so …

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 31, 2010, 3:06 p.m.

You do realise that the ships had full right to defend themselves from the get go? They were in international waters. What the IDF did was an act of piracy. The video of the people attacking the IDF was also AFTER the IDF had already fired upon them. What are they supposed to do, sit back and let them selves be shot at without trying to defend themselves?

Also, can you provide a link to the stuff about them stealing weapons and firing at the IDF? I haven't heard anything about that on Al Jazeera, or any other news outlets.

May 31, 2010, 3:23 p.m.

IDF = Israel Defense Force = a huge fucking joke. The IDF hasn't executed a defensive manoeuvre ever. They attack first and ask questions later.

Kn.

Hmm, might want to check up on your history there. Something about Yom Kippaur comes to mind.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 31, 2010, 3:30 p.m.

Why were IDF soldiers boarding vessels in international waters? What right do they have to board a foreign vessel? Maybe I'd be in a fighting mood if some asshole dropped onto my boat from the sky with no legal right to do so …

cough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbot_War

We have done the same in international waters. Funny how people are getting self righteous about the IDF boarding in international waters. Yet our country has done the same- boarding foreign vessels in international waters.

I recall the Aussie SASR doing the same a few years ago on a container ship as well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/standoff-after-australian-sas-boards-refugee-ship-667348.html

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 31, 2010, 3:30 p.m.

Both side are screwed on this one.

It's not like these "aid workers" were behaving peacefully. Sure looks to me from the video that they were determined for a fight the second they soldiers repelled from the heli. Gas masks, vests, blunt objects. They even tossed a soldier off the boat while the next closest guy was pummeled.

The activists claim that the IDF over responded… :dizzy:

I've been reading that after shit kicking some of the commandos, the aid workers then pulled the sidearms from them and emptied the clips into the group of soldiers. Although properly armed, the Israelis were sporting paintball guns (at least they kinda tried).

Really, to reiterate what has been said, what do you expect by pulling this stunt? (referring to both sides) The IDF has a pretty clear record on shit like this. While they did know that the lead boat held 500 people determined to fight for what they believe in.

Stupidity begets stupidity.

They got boarded in international waters. Of course they tried to fight them off, just as they had the right to do. The IDF are completely in the wrong for boarding a vessel in international waters, where they have no jurisdiction to do so. This didn't happen in Israel.