Is your job safe?

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:05 a.m.

The motivation behind this thread was inspired by people's responses to the GM Bankruptcy discussion.

It appears that a majority of people feel pretty secure about their job and that probably explains why most of them would not mind GM go under.

On the other hand, I think that most optimism is simply unwarranted, especially, if an event such as the American automakers going bankrupt would happen. Also, many people seem to use the following reasoning: People will always need to do X and I provide services for X activity therefore my job is safe. I find this reasoning extremely naive and foolish.

If there is a significant economic contraction, which I believe is happening and will be happening in the near future, none of the jobs out there are safe. Of course, certain services will always be needed but it doesn't mean they won't be streamlined or cut back to a lesser quality. Some products will also always be needed but it doesn't mean that people won't choose the inferior quality for less cost or simply consume less. Governments also cut back, especially when the incoming tax funds take a huge drop. Just look at California, even government jobs are not safe.

Regarding my situation. No, my job is not safe. I am self-employed and my job can disappear literally overnight. On the other hand, it's been like that for the last 4 years or so and accepting that I can lose it any moment has become routine. My job technically doesn't rely on the economy but its viability is extremely unpredictable no matter how the economy is doing…

Pedro

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:07 a.m.

Regarding my situation. No, my job is not safe. I am self-employed and my job can disappear literally overnight.

real estate?

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:10 a.m.

Pedro is way too realistic to be a realtor. He needs more rah-rah Bob-Rennie type bullshit

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:13 a.m.

real estate?

:lol:

No.

Real estate is strongly linked to the economy, my job isn't.

Pedro

Pedro does bring up some good points, but being only one R off of Pedo …. discounts much of that

"ANYONE can have the American dream…but not EVERYONE can have the American dream"

"Looking for a fight, look a gypsy in the eye…"

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:14 a.m.

I have two jobs, one in the newpaper industry, the other as a college instructor.
I'm worried.
Newspapers aren't exactly a growth industry at the best of times, but edumacation is.
In tough times, more people leave the labour force and get schooled.
For what it's worth, I'm out at UBC and a few my neighbours teach economics.
Both give compelling arguments that this is 1929 all over again and when it pans out, BRIC will run the world and NAFTA counties will be about as powerful as the Urguay/Paraguay/Argentine FTA.

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:14 a.m.

:lol:

No.

Real estate is strongly linked to the economy, my job isn't.

Pedro

Erectile dysfunction consultant…

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:18 a.m.

I have two jobs, one in the newpaper industry, the other as a college instructor.
I'm worried.
Newspapers aren't exactly a growth industry at the best of times, but edumacation is.
In tough times, more people leave the labour force and get schooled.
Both give compelling arguments that this is 1929 all over again and when it pans out, BRIC will run the world and NAFTA counties will be about as powerful as the Urguay/Paraguay/Argentine FTA.

While this sounds quite alarmist I appreciate the BRIC reference. My friends and I have been drinking a lot of brahma lately trying to prepare for what's coming…

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:22 a.m.

I agree with Pedro on a lot of his points. There seems to be a lot of people who think their jobs are safe yet fail to provide anything essential to the population.

Any person who suddenly has lost income is going to keep buying food and shelter. Everything else will see reduced cashflow, except possibly alcohol and drugs.

Same goes for a company, all non-essential parts of the operation can be cut. Advertising and marketing are near the top of that list.

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:26 a.m.

real estate?

You just like saying that word don't you? How is your job these days? How many properties did you close in the last month?

Given Pedro's posts about not buying, I'd say he'd get anti-realtor job if one existed.

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:30 a.m.

You just like saying that word don't you? How is your job these days? How many properties did you close in the last month?

Given Pedro's posts about not buying, I'd say he'd get anti-realtor job if one existed.

you really are dense aren't you?

i can't believe the most basic things need to be explained to you

it was a joke.

you amaze me :lol:

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:32 a.m.

…BRIC will run the world …

For anyone else who didn't recognize the accronym:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRIC

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:35 a.m.

Marketing. So as long as companies need people like me to promote their products, which will be a lot given the bunk consumer confidence, I'll be good.

… many people seem to use the following reasoning: People will always need to do X and I provide services for X activity therefore my job is safe. I find this reasoning extremely naive and foolish. …
Pedro

I agree with Pedro on a lot of his points. There seems to be a lot of people who think their jobs are safe yet fail to provide anything essential to the population.

Any person who suddenly has lost income is going to keep buying food and shelter. Everything else will see reduced cashflow, except possibly alcohol and drugs.

Same goes for a company, all non-essential parts of the operation can be cut. Advertising and marketing are near the top of that list.

SkunkworkS - read, wise words here.

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:37 a.m.

1929? read the link in this thread http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=117522
he gives a compelling argument for duplicating what happened almost 100yrs earlier

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:38 a.m.

Gerewh0re…

Me: how many properties did you close?
You: you are dense.

That bad huh?

Nov. 21, 2008, 10:42 a.m.

No job is ever safe however some do not get impacted by the economy to the extent of others.

im actually surprised how many people feel thier job in not secure. its an eye opener and a good indicator of what is to come.