Is the Sun too hot or am I too white?

April 23, 2018, 7:24 p.m.

Seriously now, the thing is burning me faster and faster every year. I used to just bake in the sun as a kid. Now I'm practically seeking shelter.

Last year I noticed guests where I worked with purple foreheads when they'd come back in from a day out in the sun. That's more of a radiation burn. I've had several guest's from Hawaii a few years ago, I'll say 3 years, that plainly stated the Sun over Vancouver is hotter and meaner than in Hawaii. I actually thanked them for that because I've been noticing this for a while.

Today, my head and face are red after driving from BC Place to around QE Park along Cambie before I closed my sun roof. That was less than 12 mins in direct Sun.

Most of you should able to agree on this, despite it being April: you can notice the difference in the ambient temp between direct sunlight and the shade. There's a larger disparity from my pasty point of view/feeling. That and our yellow giant is now white in the sky.

Obviously what good is a thread from me without some tin foil. If you notice the color of the sun is different, we can boil it down to a few things. The sun itself has changed. Our atmosphere/Mag field has changed. Or it's all that shit in the sky they've been spraying. Dun dun duuuuun.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

April 23, 2018, 7:44 p.m.

In time, the Sun will expand into a red giant that will be larger than Earth's orbit.  That will be hot.

April 23, 2018, 8:13 p.m.

Posted by: switch

In time, the Sun will expand into a red giant that will be larger than Earth's orbit.  That will be hot.

Ya but we probably wont be around for that. Suns a carnivore huh?

But what happened to Mr Yellow Giant?

April 23, 2018, 11:20 p.m.

I work with a dude from Somalia and he says the sun feels hotter in Vancouver. 

I also used to get brown and bake (never used sunblock) but now get sunburned.

Also notice our summers feel more humid vs 20 years ago.

April 24, 2018, 10:02 a.m.

I think we underestimate the amount of time we spent outdoors when we were kids.  We would get a nice gradual tan even in the early spring so we didn't burn as much.  That is my theory and I am sticking to it.

April 24, 2018, 3:02 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Seriously now, the thing is burning me faster and faster every year. I used to just bake in the sun as a kid. Now I'm practically seeking shelter..........

Maybe you're racist!(?)

April 24, 2018, 3:10 p.m.

If any Vancouverites look towards the sun right now while in the shade with sunglasses, you can see a rainbow halo around the sun (the sun shouldnt be in your eyes while you do this btw). There was a similar halo around the moon last night in the same area of the sky.

April 24, 2018, 3:11 p.m.

Posted by: thefishtailbites

I work with a dude from Somalia and he says the sun feels hotter in Vancouver. 

I also used to get brown and bake (never used sunblock) but now get sunburned.

Also notice our summers feel more humid vs 20 years ago.

Cant say I expected a corrobarating post such as this. That's a two in one. As for humidity, when its cloudy and sunny, its muggy out. I'm also finding I almost have allergies the last few years but I never have before.

April 24, 2018, 3:13 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I think we underestimate the amount of time we spent outdoors when we were kids. We would get a nice gradual tan even in the early spring so we didn't burn as much. That is my theory and I am sticking to it.

I think you're missing half the theory of what you experience now. I wont argue b/c as I kid, I grew up on an acre and was always outside. Literally. My parents were that generation that'd kick us outside "because it's too nice to be inside". I used to tan like nobodies business and the past few summer's, I've been avoiding the sun.

Last edited by: aShogunNamedMarcus on April 24, 2018, 3:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 24, 2018, 3:14 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Seriously now, the thing is burning me faster and faster every year. I used to just bake in the sun as a kid. Now I'm practically seeking shelter..........

Maybe you're racist!(?)

No man, I like the sun! Or used to... Besides, a white sun and a white guy should be able to get along... right?

April 24, 2018, 6:50 p.m.

I once went to New Orleans in the month of July.  Two minutes in the sun and my head was baked.

There's definitely more solar radiation penetrating to the surface of the Earth when at lower latitudes as there is less atmospheric absorption and scattering.

April 25, 2018, 8:19 a.m.

No man, I like the sun! Or used to... Besides, a white sun and a white guy should be able to get along... right?

The sun is yellow-shifted.  Damn yellow orbs!

April 26, 2018, 11:57 a.m.

Posted by: switch

I once went to New Orleans in the month of July.  Two minutes in the sun and my head was baked.

There's definitely more solar radiation penetrating to the surface of the Earth when at lower latitudes as there is less atmospheric absorption and scattering.

My wife and I waited to be picked up outside of Kona International for about 30 minutes and got torched. Granted, my wife is a half shade above ghost white, but damn it was way stronger there.

April 26, 2018, 11:59 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I think we underestimate the amount of time we spent outdoors when we were kids. We would get a nice gradual tan even in the early spring so we didn't burn as much. That is my theory and I am sticking to it.

I think you're missing half the theory of what you experience now. I wont argue b/c as I kid, I grew up on an acre and was always outside. Literally. My parents were that generation that'd kick us outside "because it's too nice to be inside". I used to tan like nobodies business and the past few summer's, I've been avoiding the sun.

Same here.  I grew up near the ocean and we spent all our time on the waterfront carefree and lotion free.  No problem.  Now I spend most of my day in an office and get out far less than I used to on weekends.  I still don't burn that easily, but I have to apply the screen regularly or I lobster up fast this time of year.

April 26, 2018, 1:17 p.m.

So people who spend 99% of their life indoors are getting sun burnt when they actually go outside.

I'm shocked.

I spend half the year above treeline on the snow.  same sun effect as ever  . You're not gonna die .

Btw the sun looks white due to smog and evaporation of water that you are all causing yourselves