Internet Billing changes March 1st...

Jan. 31, 2011, 9:52 p.m.

So i guess we get to pay to have our banner adds and spam delivered now or will the companies who send it be footing the tab :rolleyes:

guess i better turn off sigs lol

Jan. 31, 2011, 9:55 p.m.

Just talked to Telus actually, for an unrelated thing. I asked about this and it turns out Optik customers get 125Gb/mo and the Optik TV does NOT factor into that amount. The guy also said that if one goes over that amount there are a series of letter warnings sent before you get dinged with a bill.

I'm happy with that, I know I don't use 125gb/month.

You got it! Optik High Speed users get 125Gb/mo. Compare the usage on the various TELUS plans here.

Jan. 31, 2011, 10:17 p.m.

You got it! Optik High Speed users get 125Gb/mo. Compare the usage on the various TELUS plans here.

w00t!:clap:

Jan. 31, 2011, 10:18 p.m.

I see my plan on Shaw is 60GB per month and then $2 a gig over that. How am I supposed to know where I'm at throughout the month? I have never seen any usuage stats on my bill.

You will ne notified (by email, I think), you will have to trust their figures and you will be o so gently asked to bend over and pay for an additional caps allowance. Login into your Shaw Account and under Account Services you will see My Modem Usage under My Shaw Internet Services.

Plenty of information about the whole caps issue to be had here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/shaw

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Jan. 31, 2011, 10:21 p.m.

what did you swing for no contract? they keep offering me $15/15/15 for a year, but want me to sign a 3yr contact.

A letter came in the mail one day offering this deal. get telus optik tv , internet AND phone for 15 dollars a month each, provided I choose 2 of the products. it stated i dont have to lock into a contract. i had the option of a contract and I would get a free xbox 360 for a 3 year term, or a free HD box with PVR capabilities for a 2 year term or a basic hd box for free for a one year term. or pay 10 dollars a month for rental of a normal hd box and no contract and 15 bux month for a pvr capable one. I chose the no contract and paid the extra 10 bux. 8) since there was NO phone line that ran to my house, they had to bring in the big bucket truck and run a line from way the hell down the street.. probably cost them more than they would make off of me for a year just to run the line. he he he :)

I'm happy with my speed thasa fo sho!! not bad for 45 dollars a month including taxes!:)

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Jan. 31, 2011, 10:33 p.m.

w00t!:clap:

That's cool. Except before this came up, there wasn't even a reason to be excited about this.

Now that a cap is in place we're all going to be happy that our particular brand's content doesn't count against it. Rather than competing based on what the package does for you, now it offers the advantage of what it doesn't do.

And so a provider creates it's own bargaining chip.

No offense intended of course Alan ;).

sent via my robot assistant

Jan. 31, 2011, 10:36 p.m.

That's cool. Except before this came up, there wasn't even a reason to be excited about this.

Now that a cap is in place we're all going to be happy that our particular brand's content doesn't count against it. Rather than competing based on what the package does for you, now it offers the advantage of what it doesn't do.

And so a provider creates it's own bargaining chip.

sent via my robot assistant

Yup - Fair enough. I still signed the petition.

Feb. 1, 2011, 9:07 a.m.

Feb. 1, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

No offense taken. Thoughtful criticism is always fair game. :)

Personally, I do get offended by comments that the Internet should be free or unlimited usage should be cheap. Last year TELUS invested $650 million in wireline and wireless broadband access in BC alone! Since 2000 they invested over $22 billion in technology [HTML_REMOVED] operations, again in BC only. More was invested in Alberta, Ontario [HTML_REMOVED] Quebec. That's private investment, not government money.

The incremental cost of an additional GB of usage is low, but the full cost is much, much higher. Infrastructure ain't cheap, especially when it gets outdated so fast.

Feb. 1, 2011, 9:41 a.m.

Personally, I do get offended by comments that the Internet should be free or unlimited usage should be cheap. Last year TELUS invested $650 million in wireline and wireless broadband access in BC alone! Since 2000 they invested over $22 billion in technology [HTML_REMOVED] operations, again in BC only. More was invested in Alberta, Ontario [HTML_REMOVED] Quebec. That's private investment, not government money.

The incremental cost of an additional GB of usage is low, but the full cost is much, much higher. Infrastructure ain't cheap, especially when it gets outdated so fast.

Alan you have it right on the money. The Internet is far from free and I am extremely frustrated with all these companies out there offering all sorts of things for free in the hopes that getting market share will some how magically make them millions.

As a Hosting provider I pay a shit load for bandwidth $4,000 / month per 100 MB feed and if every one of my customers expected unlimited data for a cheap rate I would be right out of business.

Feb. 1, 2011, 10:09 a.m.

Personally, I do get offended by comments that the Internet should be free or unlimited usage should be cheap….

Free internet is retarded, I can agree on that. unlimited may not need to be dirt cheap, but it should be the default.

Outside the Usage Based Billing issue that got us to this debate, I'm finding it troublesome with the fact that there is such a level of overt integration between the Telecoms and the CRTC that is supposed to be overseeing the industry and protecting public interests. Keep in mind, this collaboration has lead to Canada having the 3rd worst cellphone rates in the developed world.

Last year TELUS invested $650 million in wireline and wireless broadband access in BC alone! Since 2000 they invested over $22 billion in technology [HTML_REMOVED] operations, again in BC only. More was invested in Alberta, Ontario [HTML_REMOVED] Quebec. That's private investment, not government money.

True, the investment is massive, but let's keep in mind that this business is a rather lucrative one with the 2010 year seeing an overall industry profit of $7.5 billion, which is up ~11% from the year before. All during our wonderful recession.

But back to the heart of the matter. The game plan for Telecoms is evident. With the massive shift to the internet for the consumption of media, cable providers (the same group of companies that run our wonderful cellphone and internets) are trying to maintain this lucrative position of calling the shots by developing UBB and prioritizing 'net traffic content by charging distributors such as YouTube and Netflix in order for consumers to access content on par with regular traffic and to compensate the telecom for the high bandwidth used in these services.

The side message here is that UBB is a complete crock of shit. But compare these practices with the profits and it's pretty clear to me that the CRTC utterly failing the public's interest if it isn't in outright collusion with the big telecoms.

Feb. 1, 2011, 11:15 a.m.

The side message here is that UBB is a complete crock of shit. But compare these practices with the profits and it's pretty clear to me that the CRTC utterly failing the public's interest if it isn't in outright collusion with the big telecoms.

I wouldn't say that UBB is a complete crock of shit, but I will say that price gouging is. Charging $2/GB qualifies IMHO. :(

It's shocking to realize how much the ISP industry has changed. When I first signed up with WhooshNet in Whistler their cap was 2GB/month! :eek:

Feb. 1, 2011, 11:26 a.m.

LOL! Here's the email I received in Feb 2006 after my son consumed 2GB by running BitTorrent for two whole nights!!! :eek: Have times ever changed!

[INDENT]Dear Subscriber;

Whistler Cable Television Ltd. provides for a substantial amount of internet data traffic, called bandwidth, on your Whooshnet service. The amount of bandwidth included in your package varies dependent upon the grade of service that you have ordered.

If you are running certain applications or file sharing services on your computers, you may from time-to-time exceed this bandwidth limit. Whistler Cable incurs a cost to pay for this data traffic, and therefore we must pass this cost along to our customers when they substantially exceed these limits.

According to our bandwidth metering tools, you have exceeded the bandwidth limit which applies to your account for this billing cycle, which starts and ends on the fifteenth day of each month, approximately. We are sending you this notice so that you can either take action to reduce the amount of bandwidth being consumed by your service, and so that you can be informed of additional charges which will accrue.

For future reference, you can monitor your bandwidth consumption at customer.whooshnet.com . Enter your Administrative username and password, Click on the link to view the bandwidth consumption for your Cable Modem Service. If you do not have an Administrative username and password, call us and we will set one up for you. We recommend checking this frequently to monitor bandwidth consumption. We also provide a link to a freeware tool which you can use to monitor bandwidth consumption from your individual computers here: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm

High bandwidth consumption often means that there may be a security issue with your computer. For your own benefit, please make sure that your File Sharing feature is turned off from each computer, and if you are running File Sharing applications like Kazaa, Limewire, or Morpheus you may wish to ensure that your software is not sharing files via these networks.

Feel free to contact us at: [email protected] should you require any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Whooshnet,

Whooshnet Support Team.[/INDENT]

Feb. 1, 2011, 1:06 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/02/01/internet-usage-based-billing-clement.html

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 1, 2011, 1:09 p.m.

LOL! Here's the email I received in Feb 2006 after my son consumed 2GB by running BitTorrent for two whole nights!!! :eek: Have times ever changed!

2GB over 48 hours? I calc that out to 12 bits/sec. Not exactly lightning speeds on the data rate!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.