Internet Billing changes March 1st...

Jan. 31, 2011, 5:32 p.m.

I was just thinking of the "netflix" thing and how it might effect their "unlimited movie watching" for 8 dollars a month.

I just signed on with telus optik tv and Highspeed internet ( because i managed to get one HELL of a deal for the next 12 months and NO contract! I pay less than switch900 does for his internet alone.. and I get tv too 8) ) I dont even watch the tv bit, but I'm a gaming fiend, and I do a lot of youtube stuff ( mainly for guitar lessons) so I use quite a bit of bandwidth. but I still dont come close to my 100 GB cap. so I'm not too too worried about the cap thing.
In Quebec, my father is an internet hound, and there is no cap there but they are allowed to "throttle back" your speed if they consider you to be using too much bandwidth.

what did you swing for no contract? they keep offering me $15/15/15 for a year, but want me to sign a 3yr contact.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Jan. 31, 2011, 5:46 p.m.

I was just thinking of the "netflix" thing and how it might effect their "unlimited movie watching" for 8 dollars a month.

Funny how Shaw is in the TV/Movie delivery business, and as soon as Netflix arrives so do caps.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Jan. 31, 2011, 5:54 p.m.

I wonder how that will work with Telus Optik. Am I crazy to assume that my TV usage can be separated from my internet usage? Or is it all just one digital feed to them? And if so, what's the limit on Optik?

Alan B - where are you? :)

Just talked to Telus actually, for an unrelated thing. I asked about this and it turns out Optik customers get 125Gb/mo and the Optik TV does NOT factor into that amount. The guy also said that if one goes over that amount there are a series of letter warnings sent before you get dinged with a bill.

I'm happy with that, I know I don't use 125gb/month.

Jan. 31, 2011, 5:56 p.m.

So the government is stepping in to ensure a minimum charge to consumers rather than letting the free market keep prices down? Awesome, thanks.
Of course the supposed free market has done nothing to stop us from being raped repeatedly by cell phone carriers, so I guess we[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;re not going to be getting any different treatment than in the past. For once I have to say the US has a better system.

Jan. 31, 2011, 6 p.m.

So the government is stepping in to ensure a minimum charge to consumers rather than letting the free market keep prices down? Awesome, thanks.
Of course the supposed free market has done nothing to stop us from being raped repeatedly by cell phone carriers, so I guess we

Jan. 31, 2011, 6:13 p.m.

Of course the supposed free market has done nothing to stop us from being raped repeatedly by cell phone carriers, so I guess we

???

Jan. 31, 2011, 6:13 p.m.

I wonder how much more ass rapeing the corporate execs are gonna do to our wages before we go all egypt on them?

How is this gonna help small business during a recession?

Don't worry though, the price of gas is going to go up again by summer!

transition bikes

Jan. 31, 2011, 6:21 p.m.

as someone who supports market driven economics in general, i don't see why it's a bad thing to have demand based pricing?

i think the caveat here is that if the industry is making lots of money, and there truly is competition, prices will adjust to best cost for consumers.

economics nerds straighten me out if i'm off base.

Jan. 31, 2011, 6:31 p.m.

I'll worry about this when and if I get affected by it. I download my fair share of movies and am always using my connection for something. I've never had a warning letter from Shaw. IIRC, this will impact only a small percentage of users.

5 years from now I might be concerned as more and more media is put online - but until then? Meh.

And then in the future when these policies are in place what are you going to?

Jan. 31, 2011, 6:33 p.m.

I wonder how much more ass rapeing the corporate execs are gonna do to our wages before we go all egypt on them?

How is this gonna help small business during a recession?

Don't worry though, the price of gas is going to go up again by summer!

[ ] Good points
[ ] Totally relevant to discussion at hand.
[X] Pass the bong this way

Jan. 31, 2011, 7:09 p.m.

Sorry, I had to quit smoking weed back in the fall in order to afford a new bike.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

transition bikes

Jan. 31, 2011, 7:12 p.m.

I see my plan on Shaw is 60GB per month and then $2 a gig over that. How am I supposed to know where I'm at throughout the month? I have never seen any usuage stats on my bill.

Jan. 31, 2011, 7:37 p.m.

lol Canada "biggest internet losers"….in the World.

Time to go all Egypt in deed….or " this is Sparta"

Jan. 31, 2011, 8:45 p.m.

what about the Boobs thread????

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

Jan. 31, 2011, 9:46 p.m.

I wonder how that will work with Telus Optik. Am I crazy to assume that my TV usage can be separated from my internet usage? Or is it all just one digital feed to them? And if so, what's the limit on Optik?

Alan B - where are you? :)

No complaints from this user who's also a biased TELUS employee.

Since I signed up for Optik my monthly usage reports are zero. Read into this what you like. :rocker: