Interesting ad wording and political discourse

May 7, 2022, 12:07 p.m.

I noticed this ad at the top of a thread here and the wording kind of caught me a little. I think most people here trend left/liberal in their ideologies and might also find the wording strange. Is this how right leaning media sells itself these days, as being anti or non left? I find it odd as a lot of left ideals are based on being a "good human", or so I like to think anyways. I read that and think that the right wants to disassociate itself from ideas that are inclusive and non-oppressive. And yes, with the review quote being from the Daily Wire it doesn't surprise me, but I found it odd that this would be used as a selling point. Thoughts?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Last edited by: syncro on May 7, 2022, 12:07 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 7, 2022, 1:38 p.m.

I refuse to think of things as left or right anymore.  I want to hear ideas or policies designed to answer current day issues.  In that framing, the modern Republican Party does not have any substantive answers for any issues, or, if they do hold a position, it is generally a wildly unpopular one.

So they boil everything down to “right” vs “left” (which is meaningless if you put any thought into it) and gin up phony culture wars in place of doing the heavy lifting.  That’s what that ad is, pure distilled tribalism in the lead up to mid-terms to distract from things like Reproductive rights being stripped in the USA.

May 7, 2022, 1:41 p.m.

Also the daily wire is Ben Shapiro’s propaganda rag that is stoking the outrage machine so that he can grift off of it for every last dime.

https://www.mediamatters.org/daily-wire

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on May 7, 2022, 1:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2022, 6:37 a.m.

Gamers are based. 

Google thinks you are too if they’re feeding you that ad probably.

May 8, 2022, 7:37 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Also the daily wire is Ben Shapiro’s propaganda rag that is stoking the outrage machine so that he can grift off of it for every last dime.

Maybe.  Maybe he is just telling the truth and most today don't like it since it makes them face the reality that their ideology is flawed.

May 8, 2022, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: Polymath

Maybe.  Maybe he is just telling the truth and most today don't like it since it makes them face the reality that their ideology is flawed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....

wait wait

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, you were serious?

May 8, 2022, 4:13 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Gamers are based. 

my thoughts exactly.  My nsmb ads are about mtb the sea to sky and the latest helmets.

Splinky, if you want something to think about, ask yourself why you got this ad served up.

May 8, 2022, 4:59 p.m.

You guys have adds??

May 8, 2022, 6:40 p.m.

Posted by: Polymath

Maybe. Maybe he is just telling the truth and most today don't like it since it makes them face the reality that their ideology is flawed.

Bizarre to me that anyone would voluntarily tune into purely partisan media like this in the first place/ get fired up by the blatant pot stirring for profit there/ internalize the toxic crap and regurgitate it in public afterwards.

Last edited by: Hepcat on May 8, 2022, 6:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2022, 7:39 p.m.

Identity politics, good for those in need of an identity i guess. 🤷🏼‍♂️

May 8, 2022, 7:44 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Bizarre to me that anyone would voluntarily tune into purely partisan media like this in the first place/ get fired up by the blatant pot stirring for profit there/ internalize the toxic crap and regurgitate it in public afterwards.

Facebook clickbait. He’s one of the most shared/engaged content creation engines for FB. The negative feedback cycle is powerful and he’s figured out what inputs work best in that machine. If it rips society apart as a side effect, no big deal, he’s getting his.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on May 8, 2022, 7:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2022, 7:54 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

You guys have adds??

Yes.  I leave adblock off for Cam and crew.

May 9, 2022, 2:27 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I noticed this ad at the top of a thread here and the wording kind of caught me a little. I think most people here trend left/liberal in their ideologies and might also find the wording strange. Is this how right leaning media sells itself these days, as being anti or non left? I find it odd as a lot of left ideals are based on being a "good human", or so I like to think anyways. I read that and think that the right wants to disassociate itself from ideas that are inclusive and non-oppressive. And yes, with the review quote being from the Daily Wire it doesn't surprise me, but I found it odd that this would be used as a selling point. Thoughts?

My thoughts, in no particular order:

1. Being anti or non-left has alwaays been a selling point for everyone on the right side of the parliament or political spectrum, as far as I have witnessed and known. 

2. I understand where you come from with the idea that a lot of the liberal/left ideals are based on the notion of being a "good and morally just human". 

Here is the rub though, the people who support right-wing or outright fascist and autoritarian ideas think of themselves in such a way as well. They think that they help society as well. In their opinion, the idea of different people with various cultural backgrounds enriching any given society is wrong, and not good for society. Add some other issues and, voila, they have the justification for their ideology. Just check out why the French people, especially in the Southern and Northern parts, almost made a neo fascist the new President. Totally crazy.

May 9, 2022, 10:37 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

Posted by: tashi

Gamers are based. 

my thoughts exactly.  My nsmb ads are about mtb the sea to sky and the latest helmets.

Splinky, if you want something to think about, ask yourself why you got this ad served up.

Work computer, but I know how ad services work. Never taking a look at what others who have opposing views have to say or how they see things means you're being stuck in your own thought bubble though and also means you run the risk of not being able to be critical of those who share similar/same views as you.

May 9, 2022, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Here is the rub though, the people who support right-wing or outright fascist and autoritarian ideas think of themselves in such a way as well. They think that they help society as well. In their opinion, the idea of different people with various cultural backgrounds enriching any given society is wrong, and not good for society. Add some other issues and, voila, they have the justification for their ideology. Just check out why the French people, especially in the Southern and Northern parts, almost made a neo fascist the new President. Totally crazy.

It's the idea of losing culture and identity that scares people, the fear of the "other". I think that's part of what makes modern Canada fairly good and less impervious to these sorts of things. As we are a relatively young country made up of many diverse people we don't have a unique culture/identity that has been established for centuries so it is harder for us as a nation to "other" other groups. Identity and belonging are inherently important to humans, so people/ideas that pose a threat to that identity are easy to hate. Same for ideas that people do not understand or are very different from their established norms. People want to belong to a group that shares similar ideals and values - tribalism.