Impreza

Aug. 19, 2016, 1:44 p.m.

Who has one? A 2.5i, 5spd in particular.

Fuel economy? Power? Tough enough for gravel roads? Highway comfort? Should I even consider a n/a Subaru? Id like a 2010ish 5dr.

I've got the exact car you've described and it's been a fantastic vehicle in every respect.

Power is more than adequate, even when fully loaded.
Comfortable for me (routinely do 6-8 hrs drives with no issues).
Fuel economy is just fine for what it is - previous car was a Corolla and I'd trade Symmetrical AWD for the marginally better fuel mileage any day living in BC.
I invested in great studded winter tires and the Impreza is virtually unstoppable when so equipped (no, it's not a TRD Tacoma, but use common sense and you're not getting stuck anywhere with this vehicle ).

Only negative, if you can call it a negative, is that I often find myself running out of space inside on longer camping trips and whatnot.

They are great cars imo. Good luck with your search.

Aug. 19, 2016, 3:17 p.m.

Have two Subies, a 2008 Outback, and a 2002 Forester.
Great cars, just the headgasket issues……..

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 19, 2016, 3:22 p.m.

Crosstrek. I want one. Slow but besides that it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Just out of curiosity - why a Crosstrek vs. an Outback/Forester? The Crosstrek might me a little bit "cooler" but I would think the extra space inside an Outback/Forester would be quite useful to the avg outdoorsperson (aka. Subaru target market).

Aug. 19, 2016, 7:02 p.m.

Looking for a smaller commuter car to replace my civic. The wife has the big kid mobile. But I still want something rugged and that has enough room for the kids and hockey gear on occasion. And for camping with my son. The others don't like camping.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 19, 2016, 7:48 p.m.

Have two Subies, a 2008 Outback, and a 2002 Forester.
Great cars, just the headgasket issues……..

If someone said that about a domestic everyone would go on about how they are junk!

Subaru makes a great car.

Aug. 19, 2016, 8:06 p.m.

Get a forester so you can look like a real lesbian

I laughed pretty hard.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 19, 2016, 11:52 p.m.

Yo leggat

They are great cars. That's why I own two.
Had a H6 subaru in 2005. The thing was a beast, loved it but it had tan leather interior and only ran on premium. Bought a new 2008 outback 2.5 and it has been kick ass 200 K later. Just had to pay 3000 K to get the engine pulled for the gaskets. Besides that it has been perfect.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 20, 2016, 3:24 p.m.

Yo leggat

They are great cars. That's why I own two.
Had a H6 subaru in 2005. The thing was a beast, loved it but it had tan leather interior and only ran on premium. Bought a new 2008 outback 2.5 and it has been kick ass 200 K later. Just had to pay 3000 K to get the engine pulled for the gaskets. Besides that it has been perfect.

This… They have legit problems with the head gaskets, that are expensive to fix.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Aug. 20, 2016, 3:45 p.m.

Forester xt FTW has the turbo, yes head gaskets FTL. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=JDM+forester+forester+xt

Nov. 15, 2020, 5:10 p.m.

Ended up buying an '08 wagon with the 2.5i & auto a few years back. Good car as everyone said, it's due for a timing belt and the passenger head gasket has been dripping oil awhile now. Anyone know of a good Subaru mechanic? I'm on the Island.

Nov. 15, 2020, 5:36 p.m.

Posted by: Madman

Ended up buying an '08 wagon with the 2.5i & auto a few years back. Good car as everyone said, it's due for a timing belt and the passenger head gasket has been dripping oil awhile now. Anyone know of a good Subaru mechanic? I'm on the Island.

Have an 08 outback. Ya you have to pull the engine to do the gaskets.... Or just drive it forever and put up with the smell. Don't know any mechanics on the island unfortunately. I would take it to someone who specializes in subies.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Nov. 15, 2020, 6:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 15, 2020, 6:57 p.m.

The head gasket thing is the real deal, but if you like Subaru’s, it can be worth dealing with  I’d research which years and motors involved, I think the 2.2 was always fine.  Can’t imagine how slow it would be though...

I’m pretty sure that with the prevalence of old Subaru’s on the island and how regularly their head baskets fail, any decent independent mechanic is familiar with the job on the 2.5.

That being said, I think the guy who did em on my ‘98 Outback (and fixed a bunch of stuff Saunders couldn’t) has retired. I’ve been taking my ‘04 (and my Element when I had it) to Fairfield Auto. Solid dudes there, and familiar with aging Subies.

Nov. 16, 2020, 9:02 p.m.

Love the Impreza WRX STI version. Best color scheme is rally blue with gold wheels.

Nov. 19, 2020, 9:59 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

The head gasket thing is the real deal, but if you like Subaru’s, it can be worth dealing with  I’d research which years and motors involved, I think the 2.2 was always fine.  Can’t imagine how slow it would be though...

I’m pretty sure that with the prevalence of old Subaru’s on the island and how regularly their head baskets fail, any decent independent mechanic is familiar with the job on the 2.5.

That being said, I think the guy who did em on my ‘98 Outback (and fixed a bunch of stuff Saunders couldn’t) has retired. I’ve been taking my ‘04 (and my Element when I had it) to Fairfield Auto. Solid dudes there, and familiar with aging Subies.

The naturally aspirated 2.5s are the ones that have the problems.  Supposedly they got better at one point, but I still don't trust them.  The naturally aspirated motors use a graphite composite gasket while the turbos use a multi-layer steel gasket.  The latter gasket is way more durable, but more finicky about the surface finish of the block an heads.  You can upgrade a NA to a MLS gasket but your surface finishes have to either be factory perfect or re-worked.

The old 2.2L and 2.0L Turbo engines are probably the most reliable.  (Actually, the 1.8L is probably up there as well but makes so little power, you'll probably die of old age before it reaches its final destination)

My 99 Impreza 2.5RS blew the original head gasket at around 232 000km.  The owner at that time replaced the motor with a 2.0L turbo from a 2005 WRX that had 16 000km on it and tuned it up to a 280hp "Stage 2" cal.  I've since put 332 000km on the car (current odo reading is 356 062mi. or 569 699km) and the 2.0's factory head gaskets have been weeping externally for the last 5000km or so.