iMac Vs. MacBook

Dec. 16, 2011, 9:24 a.m.

This.

Now for a hijack: Anybody have the macbook air? I wanna buy myself the 13" one for christmas.

If your thinking about getting one then go for it. They are deceivingly quick and super quiet with a long battery life (great for flights). Use a portable drive or a networked HD and you will forget about the size limitations. The unit has a feature for remote drive which is great as you can utilize a DVD drive from another computer running Win Vista or 7 and of course Mac OS. We got one for our daughter and after a bit another for the wife.

It's all about the play………

Dec. 16, 2011, 9:31 a.m.

"Have you see my dongle?" - Mac owners.

Dec. 16, 2011, 10:06 a.m.

it might be he takes dumps in his living room?

true true…

Dec. 16, 2011, 10:20 a.m.

Hackintosh. Better spec (apart from the screen) for half the price.

Though I have to say, the 27" iMacs are well nice for video editing on if you're working on big projects. Maybe a bit overkill just for some GoPro vids though.

I thought that was done. What can you hackintosh now?

Dec. 16, 2011, 10:23 a.m.

Here ya go Cam,

http://lifehacker.com/5841604/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh

Dec. 17, 2011, 9:54 a.m.

"Have you see my dongle?" - Mac owners who own non apple products too.

fyp

Dec. 17, 2011, 5:52 p.m.

get the imac since you alredy have an i phone and ipad.

^this

I have both the 27" iMac and 17" Macbook and use my Macbook probably 95% of the time.

But running iMac from the iPad is a pretty cool option.

I'm the opposite, the only time my macbook gets used is on trips, when I have to take a
course.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Dec. 17, 2011, 8 p.m.

I've had my MacBook for the past 4 years or so, still going strong although I doubt it could handle much video editing any more. It's still perfectly adequate for my everyday internet browsing needs and has never crashed or given me problems.

Dec. 17, 2011, 9:35 p.m.

I've asked this before and forget the answer. Is the Mac mini a viable option for a home computer? My laptop has finally called it quits and truthfully between having the IPad and iPhone the only thing I used the laptop for was downloading torrents and holding files that can be streamed to the apple tv.

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Dec. 17, 2011, 9:41 p.m.

I've asked this before and forget the answer.

Here ya go. http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=140509

I'm going to get a new computer soon, been going through the same motions re: imac vs macbook, and have concluded that since my 5 year old macbook still surfs the net and edits photos, I am going with the value (more power for the money) of the desktop.

flickr

Dec. 18, 2011, 2:35 a.m.

Macbook. Who the hell buys desktop machines anymore?

Gamers.

Gaming laptops are way too expensive and unreliable at best.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 18, 2011, 5:46 a.m.

I've asked this before and forget the answer. Is the Mac mini a viable option for a home computer? My laptop has finally called it quits and truthfully between having the IPad and iPhone the only thing I used the laptop for was downloading torrents and holding files that can be streamed to the apple tv.

You're such a cheap bastard. Cough up the dough and get a real computer!

The specs on the base system aren't too bad. 2GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, Core i5 SB processor, easily upgradeable RAM, connections for external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Probably allows for an external DVD drive too. It'll run pretty quick and the video speed should be fine for everything but intensive gaming. If you have a keyboard, mouse, and display, $600 plus tax will get you a system that's better than what your laptop was.

Mac Air is nice that it's tiny and light, but it's restrictive and a MacBook Pro has more capability and capacity.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 13, 2012, 11:24 p.m.

Going to pull the trigger on a Mac in a few months

Not sure if I'll go Macbook Pro, iMac, or MacMini. Maybe a Pros and Cons list is in order.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 14, 2012, 12:13 a.m.

once you go mac you never go back

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/

Jan. 14, 2012, 12:53 a.m.

once you go mac you never go back

I had to deal with using macs at my old work, and I will never ever own a mac in my life because of that.

If you buy a mac for anything other than production programs like final cut, you're doin it wrong.