Illegal dumping: Why do so many Canadians trash Canada?

Oct. 13, 2014, 5:37 a.m.

It is astonishing what Canadians do in the woods.

Canadians love the landscape and the landscape helps define us. The Group of Seven and other celebrated artists showed the world a country of pristine lakes and glorious forests. Canadians are proud of the country’s soaring mountains and powerful rivers, the unspoiled wilderness a treasure even to those who do not regularly explore it.

But all over this country, people will toss almost anything almost anywhere when they think no one is watching.

This isn't mindless littering. This is deliberate trashing of the landscape, the dumping of vast amounts of household garbage, construction waste and much, much more.

Have you seen evidence of illegal dumping? Send us your photos at [email protected] or tweet them with the hashtag #cbcnn

What struck me, as I began investigating this widespread practice for CBC’s The National, is that this isn't simply illegal.

This kind of dumping is also an offence against what we like to think is part of our core values. It is an enormous contradiction. How can Canadians value the unspoiled wilderness, yet spoil it daily by illegally dumping junk all over the landscape?

More:
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/illegal-dumping-why-do-so-many-canadians-trash-canada-1.2795046

As users of the forest, I expect this is preaching to the converted.

As much as I love joking about a good pallet fire on Vedder, all the friends I hang out with are always careful to clean up the messy campground after a long weekend, and I am quite sure none of them would dump a mattress or bag of garbage on the side of an FSR.

What about you?

Oct. 13, 2014, 7:39 a.m.

I want to say people are to cheap to go to the dump but I think it's more along the lines of too stupid to be alive.

Oct. 13, 2014, 7:55 a.m.

I want to say people are to cheap to go to the dump but I think it's more along the lines of too stupid to be alive.

Especially round these parts

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 13, 2014, 7:57 a.m.

I spend a lot of time "out there" working and often pack out other people's crap if/when I have room. So do many loggers.

People suck.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 13, 2014, 8:13 a.m.

There's a couch near the beginning of Indian river road if anyone wants it. Was recently dumped on Saturday or Sunday morning…..bottom of pinch flat alley has piles of garbage in the forest too.
People can be lazy and cheap when it comes to garbage disposal.

Oct. 13, 2014, 8:16 a.m.

More:
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/illegal-dumping-why-do-so-many-canadians-trash-canada-1.2795046

As users of the forest, I expect this is preaching to the converted.

As much as I love joking about a good pallet fire on Vedder, all the friends I hang out with are always careful to clean up the messy campground after a long weekend, and I am quite sure none of them would dump a mattress or bag of garbage on the side of an FSR.

What about you?

Talk with Robbie at Jack's Cycles in Chilliwack. They organize a Vedder clean-up day once a year and pull a tremendous amount of garbage out of there every year. People are stupidly lazy. They'd rather haul shit up a logging road rather than drive to a landfill drop-off site.

Oct. 13, 2014, 8:34 a.m.

Talk with Robbie at Jack's Cycles in Chilliwack. They organize a Vedder clean-up day once a year and pull a tremendous amount of garbage out of there every year. People are stupidly lazy. They'd rather haul shit up a logging road rather than drive to a landfill drop-off site.

The only thing I can come up with is subsidizing garbage drop offs, that and putting a deposit on shotgun shells.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 13, 2014, 9 a.m.

People are stupidly lazy. They'd rather haul shit up a logging road rather than drive to a landfill drop-off site.

That's not lazy.

Oct. 13, 2014, 9:55 a.m.

Badonkadonk

Oct. 13, 2014, 10:01 a.m.

Pallet fire I can handle. It is the empties and other detrious found else where.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 13, 2014, 11:09 a.m.

…detrious ….

i can't be the only one who has never heard this word before?

Oct. 13, 2014, 11:12 a.m.

i can't be the only one who has never heard this word before?

I think it's a cultural thing. Most folks in RC haven't heard words like paycheque,taxes or shower either.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 13, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

that funny i'm awaiting the delivery of a paycheque for nearly 20k, i literally just got out of the shower and don't worry the taxman knows exactly where i am at…

but hey I'm sure you be droppn words like detritus everyday….happy thngving day to you hillbilly foo…..

Oct. 13, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

I think it's a cultural thing. Most folks in RC haven't heard words like paycheque,taxes or shower either.

Bwahahaha. That's golden. I'm using it.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 13, 2014, 2:37 p.m.

RC?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/