If you download music/movies, do you ... *new: post 300 rant*

Dec. 11, 2009, 4:39 p.m.

If you download music/movies, do you consider yourself an unethical/immoral person?

It seems that millions of people download music and movies through torrents. Just because so many people do it, it doesn't make it right. So, if you do download music, how do you justify it to yourself (if at all)?

Do you accept it as an immoral act, accept that you are basically no different from a thief and that you do so out of personal greed?

Thoughts? Discuss.

new: copying levy rant http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=2314954#post2314954

Dec. 11, 2009, 4:40 p.m.

no

Dec. 11, 2009, 4:41 p.m.

no

why not?

Dec. 11, 2009, 4:44 p.m.

why not?

dont really about rich ass movie starz

ill buy my hipster music at zulu but never at hmv

i even paypal'd a guy once for his beat tape

Dec. 11, 2009, 4:54 p.m.

Does it make you unethical/immoral if you download teh pron?

Dec. 11, 2009, 4:56 p.m.

When I download movies I otherwise wouldn't watch I don't feel bad because they would not be getting my money regardless. If I download a cd and I like it enough I will sometimes pay for it. I have no moral issues with it because without downloading I just wouldn't be listening to it/watching it.

Dec. 11, 2009, 4:56 p.m.

I despise the music industry, but love music. So I'll pick and choose who gets my money.
I'll dl the Metallica song library and I don't feel bad at all because I owned every one of those tapes/cd/record in the past and have since lost them. Then on the other hand, I'll pay $11 for the Cramps best hits off iTunes. I dl's Chinese Democracy, because it wasn't worth the money, but paid for the Top Gear downloads. I find it hard to believe that those cocksuckers in the Rolling Stones need, or deserve anymore of my money.

I say free music, and paid shows. Why is it I can hear a song 20 times on the radio, but I can't record it for future listening on my terms?

bullspit.

Dec. 11, 2009, 5:19 p.m.

I dont download music because music doesnt really interest me. I dl movies but 95% of the movies that have come out in the last few years have sucked. I only started DL because I was tired of paying $6 each to rent 20 crappy movies to get 1 descent one. Now I dl, so i have something to do while I am folding laundry and if it is a movie that is worth watching, I go and buy it.
I can still sleep at night, not to bothered by it. If someone were to cut me off I wouldnt be missing much.

Eric

Dec. 11, 2009, 5:23 p.m.

lmao how can music not interest you

Dec. 11, 2009, 5:37 p.m.

dont really about rich ass movie starz

ill buy my hipster music at zulu but never at hmv

i even paypal'd a guy once for his beat tape

OK, you think that movie stars make too much money for what they do. Yet, they make as much as they do only because there is demand for their performance and therefore they don't make too much, they just make what they can given that demand. By stealing their movies or songs you are benefitting from a product they made, should they not have a say in what to do with what they made?
Say you built a bike, but someone who is poorer than you decided that it was ok to steal it because you are ritcher. I would say that is immoral, that person does not have a moral reason for stealing your bike.

Posted via Mobile Device

Dec. 11, 2009, 5:53 p.m.

most artists get what 25 cents off a sold cd? I support artists by going to shows and buyin shirts there etc etc thats where they make the real money.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 11, 2009, 5:57 p.m.

I dont download music because music doesnt really interest me.

must be weird

Dec. 11, 2009, 6:03 p.m.

OK, you think that movie stars make too much money for what they do. Yet, they make as much as they do only because there is demand for their performance and therefore they don't make too much, they just make what they can given that demand. By stealing their movies or songs you are benefitting from a product they made, should they not have a say in what to do with what they made?
Say you built a bike, but someone who is poorer than you decided that it was ok to steal it because you are ritcher. I would say that is immoral, that person does not have a moral reason for stealing your bike.

Posted via Mobile Device

Not the same thing. The movie star doesn't lose the use of anything.

I think our society is morally corrupted in that our most lauded, praised and worshipped heroes are people who "make believe" for a living. Therefore, DL'ing movies is actually helping to correct the balance. I don't feel quite this strongly about music as I believe music stars haven't been blown quite as out of proportion to their worth as movie stars, and touring is tough freakin work. That being said, while I don't DL music, most of what I have is from friends who either ripped it or DL'd it.

I don't feel bad at all. I still pay for the theatre, because I get some benefit - I see the movie on the big screen. I still rent occasionally, but that's getting expensive too. Now that I can DL I feel great about it! I will keep going to concerts cause again, I get the show, the sound and the atmosphere. And I will keep buying the odd CD.

Furthermore, I believe quite strongly that the TV and movie industry is wayyyy behind the curve and their fight against file sharing has lost them the opportunity to make way more money by co-opting the process and selling low-def copies of their products cheap (cause let's face it, most DL's are pretty low def). If the industry had jumped on board, they could have made tons of money. Instead, they are stuck in the past, refusing to change and losing.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Dec. 11, 2009, 6:10 p.m.

LOL Joe.

You'll understand in six months.

Dec. 11, 2009, 6:17 p.m.

i don't care because i'm hella gangsta

thug life