If you couldn't live in Vancouver, where would you live to continue mountain biking?

April 11, 2012, 3:56 p.m.

I'd second (or third) NorCal. My office, when I started there, backed onto the Pixar campus in Emeryville. Specifically their outdoor pool. The pool was next to their soccer field…

I lived in North Oakland (almost Berkeley) and rode every day. Joaquin Miller, Redwood, Annadel, Skyline, China Camp, Camp Tamarancho - all within a 30 minute drive all with excellent, largely un-used singletrack. Think 5 x 5 all mountain riding.

Mind you - cheapest living we could find was a dodgy studio apartment for $650 a month…in 2002!

You are also on the doorstep of the Sierra's and Tahoe. Nevada City is an awesome MTB destination - with many more all over. Squaw Valley?

Micro-brew's to blow your mind, good food and made lots of friends.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

April 11, 2012, 4:33 p.m.

can be said about anywhere.

But they're probably the worst of the European countries.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 11, 2012, 7:14 p.m.

I lived in North Oakland (almost Berkeley) and rode every day. Joaquin Miller, Redwood, Annadel, Skyline, China Camp, Camp Tamarancho - all within a 30 minute drive all with excellent, largely un-used singletrack. Think 5 x 5 all mountain riding.

Mind you - cheapest living we could find was a dodgy studio apartment for $650 a month…in 2002!

Wow, those riding spots bring back a lot memories. Lived in the bay area for 3 years and it was a fun experience. Heck, it got me into mountain biking.

April 11, 2012, 7:24 p.m.

Wellington, New Zealand would fit the bill. Great riding right in town, Peter Jackson has his graphics studio there. Very cool place, about as close to BC as you can get.

April 11, 2012, 8:06 p.m.

Denmark, Taiwan, Oregon, or California.

April 11, 2012, 8:54 p.m.

Tons of great riding within a half hour of Calgary, lots of jobs too.

April 13, 2012, 2:47 p.m.

But they're probably the worst of the European countries.

:orly:

you base that on what?

April 13, 2012, 3:11 p.m.

Having been there. Friend who's lived there for 25 years (immigrant). Lots of relatives in nearby countries.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 13, 2012, 10:06 p.m.

california would have kicked ass in the 60s

herpes

Have you considered the Maldives?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 14, 2012, 2:20 a.m.

My vote goes for California, amazing food, great weather and beautiful beaches. If you were going to asia I would pick Malaysia over Singapore, at least that was my preference but I only spent 4 days in each Country. If Calgary has a Video game industry you could always live in Canmore and commute. Tons of riding out there.

April 15, 2012, 9:52 p.m.

This rainforest home of ours is so over-rated. Seriously, I don't get it.

I could be wrong but I swore I saw a 'goodbye' thread u started a while back saying how stupid everyone on here was and that you're leaving. Change of heart?

April 15, 2012, 11:54 p.m.

Between the alps and the south east coast of France. Probably feck all video game work but easily the best riding and most beautiful part of the world I've been.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 16, 2012, 5:20 p.m.

Having only visited the places you've listed on vacation I can't comment on what it's like to actually live in any of them. For me, if I had to move out of Canada my choice would be New Zealand. Wellington seemed like a great little city but I did prefer the southern island.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

April 16, 2012, 5:43 p.m.

terrace or revelstoke

would help if you skied in the winter

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

April 16, 2012, 7:35 p.m.

NOTHING will match the riding that is BC.
But . . . if I was you (quite comfortable with the whole Canada way of life thing) I would stay home.
Believe it or not, Toronto (Google Earth Speak : heart of the city) has some pretty good off-road riding in the Don Ravine.
These guys (Sacred Rides) offer courses (on the Don trails) that prepare riders for their once in a lifetime rides.
http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.sacredrides.com/[HTML_REMOVED]sa=U[HTML_REMOVED]ei=wtWMT_OiIoru0gHNiPjICQ[HTML_REMOVED]ved=0CBIQFjAA[HTML_REMOVED]usg=AFQjCNF2doPhWgJe6fBTENd2nPO82A-PQA

"Most Torontonians know it better for its freeway, but the Don Valley is home to some of the best urban singletrack and wilderness in North America" . . .

edit : whoa, I would guess that I'm the guy that built a number of the features they use to prepare riders in their PHD courses. lol.