Idle no More

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:05 p.m.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/26/idle-no-more-first-nations-protest-movement-theresa-spence/

So will they let her die?

What do you guys think will come of this?

www.natooke.com

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:14 p.m.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/26/idle-no-more-first-nations-protest-movement-theresa-spence/

So will they let her die?

What do you guys think will come of this?

They might. I think the Harper machine has it's hair up on on end because they're getting called out very publicly over their omnibus bills. If they do, it will assure a liberal majority victory in 2015 or possibly before if it triggers a few MPs to cross the floor. How's this being perceived over there? Do people notice or care?

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:29 p.m.

Let me start off by letting you know a little about myself that you may not know.

Im 1/4 Indian and 3/4 Newfoundlander. My 1/4 side has no treaty rights and is not even recognized by the current treaty system.

…now that that's out of the way, I fully support this protest/action while at the same time,detest the reservation system.

The problem today is that not all reservations are equal.

The "have nots" are starving to death in squalid conditions with no chance for success at all. They have no rights to their land while foreign companies are making billions from their resources. They have no jobs to pay for supplies to build new houses…..I could go on,but learn for yourselves.

We're not talking about Squamish or Sto'lo nations here,bu the poorest of the poor.

Alot of talk happened last winter with very little action…..the time has come, and I expect it to get nasty.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:32 p.m.

How's this being perceived over there? Do people notice or care?

Reality is the majority of Canadians don't care any more. To most it's really become another day of woe is me and ask for a larger hand out/ blame the government. At a certain point the group has to look to themselves to start to improve their lot in life.

To me it's become a two part problem… first is that we have a whole group of people who to put it simply gets welfare handed to them with no controls or restrictions. And have no idea what to do with it. Second part is that this same group has no clue or care to change the status quo because if they wanted change. Why fear having the finances looked at?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:35 p.m.

…,detest the reservation system.

I know a few Mohawks here who walked away from the local reserve. They tell me they have better lives now and will never go back.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:38 p.m.

I know a few Mohawks here who walked away from the local reserve. They tell me they have better lives now and will never go back.

Deseronto is a weird and wonderful place.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:40 p.m.

At a certain point the group has to look to themselves to start to improve their lot in life.

Find Attiwapuskat on a map.

….show me a solution.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:42 p.m.

How's this being perceived over there? Do people notice or care?

Ha! They're too busy watching singing competitions. The only thing they ever hear about in Canada is when a Chinese national is mistreated. Then they froth at the moth and demand a national apology and for the evildoer to be sent to China to face punishment.

^No joke. Remember when that Chinese uni student was killed by his roommate. They held protests outside the Canadian embassy in Beijing and blamed the whole country.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:42 p.m.

Deseronto is a weird and wonderful place.

Yeppers in regards to Tyndinaga.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:47 p.m.

Find Attiwapuskat on a map.

….show me a solution.

Hmm.. this whole mess stinks.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/04/06/federal-government-deems-attawapiskat-third-party-manager-a-success-band-council-to-regain-control/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 26, 2012, 9:57 p.m.

Native peoples in this country have endured much worse than the disrespect Prime Minister Harper showed on Dec 21, tweeting about "mmm bacon" while Attiwapiskat Chief Theresa Spence was on Day 11 of a hunger strike that won't end unless he agrees to a meeting between himself, the Governor General and First Nations leaders including Spence.

Fuck you,Harper.

http://rabble.ca/news/2012/12/idle-no-more-what-does-chief-spences-hunger-strike-mean

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 27, 2012, 5:23 a.m.

Ya that's the way to do it. Go on a hunger strike to "Blackmail" someone into a meeting.Everyone knows the way to make a countries leader meet with you is to blackmail them….

Free housing, community centres,hockey rinks, curling rinks, education, healthcare,university,dental,eye care,roads, bridges,employment programs, special considerations when applying for government work,programs for business start ups… etc etc etc

What more can we do? I dated a Cree for two years, she lives in Calgary, owns her own home,has a great job and contributes to society. She says they need to get her people off the reserves and integrated in to society before they will be able to "get over the past" and get on with their lives like she and her family have.

[Sarcasm] My family owned much of Scotland for centuries, then it was stolen by the English in a conflict, I want my land back,millions of dollars for my people each year, and an apology from the Queen for the way my family was wronged [/Sarcasm]

Nobody can move forward into the future while constantly looking at the past and playing the victim.

Dec. 27, 2012, 5:58 a.m.

Lol,you should check out some of the free housing in most of the remote reserves.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 27, 2012, 6:11 a.m.

Lol,you should check out some of the free housing in most of the remote reserves.

I agree it is bad on some of the reserves, and that there is some work to be done.

But what about the rest of it…Free education, healthcare,university,employment programs, special considerations when applying for government work,programs for business start ups… etc etc etc ?

I also can't imagine with the programs that are made available to our aboriginals why they choose to stay where they are, living under those conditions.Why not begin taking advantage of the many programs available that can lift them from poverty and allow them to become wealthy contributing members of our society.

Let me say it again for you..Nobody can move forward into the future while constantly looking at the past and playing the victim.

Dec. 27, 2012, 8:26 a.m.

I agree it is bad on some of the reserves, and that there is some work to be done.

But what about the rest of it…Free education, healthcare,university,employment programs, special considerations when applying for government work,programs for business start ups… etc etc etc ?

I also can't imagine with the programs that are made available to our aboriginals why they choose to stay where they are, living under those conditions.Why not begin taking advantage of the many programs available that can lift them from poverty and allow them to become wealthy contributing members of our society.

Let me say it again for you..Nobody can move forward into the future while constantly looking at the past and playing the victim.

The res is home, thats where the family is, all the buds whom are likely to be cousins and uncles/aunties ect if buddy leaves the res where is he gona live and if he does are you gona hang out with him, isn't the res his prison so to speak ?

Whitey didnt kill them all to begin with so they tried to change them with the residential school, OK that has ended but what you got is people with probelms raising people who have problems

so whitey didnt kill em all hundreds of yrs ago, didn't change em with residential schools and if you look at the number of settled land claims in BC didn't pay them off, now whitey want the lands and he will pay … or maybe the 1st nations won't play ?