I may never grow up

Sept. 11, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

Sweet thread, I love that micro ramp tucked into the top deck between the other ramps, very creative.

now I gotta dig up some shots of my ramp, tucked into an outbuilding on a friends farm, it had tree-trunk rafters that the tall and good guys had to duck when really shredding, and best of all no cell service so my staff couldn't bug me when I was getting my gnar on…

…now i want to build another one…

Sept. 11, 2016, 10:42 a.m.

Haven't read all the posts but here's my take on life…

Age is a number.
Youth is a state of mind.

Cheers,
Le Sanch, 46 going onto 29 :rave:

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 11, 2016, 1:32 p.m.

Hey that's me who started the thread. I still skate occasionally. Opened a skate/bmx shop with indoor park in Kamloops in 2011. Only had it for a couple of years then moved onto something bigger and better (err, more money).

There isn't big money in a bike shop?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 11, 2016, 2:23 p.m.

I've never skated..haven't been on a bmx in over 30yrs, certainly never on a ramp……but even I can see how sweet that little setup is.
Nice work!
Is it still going?…or was it not sustainable financially?

Sept. 11, 2016, 3:51 p.m.

I could have kept it going for sure. The last year I was getting ahead and planning for the future, but like I alluded to, a good opportunity came up that meant the shop had to get shut down. That said, you won't get rich doing this!

Sept. 11, 2016, 11:02 p.m.

i really like that 2' half pipe…i've always wanted to build something like that for me (and now my kids).

i just watched this below which is when i didn't much pay attention to skating in general. i was amazed by rodney when growing up, but didn't like freestyle too much. his interviews in the bones brigade doc kinda blew me away…i didn't really know what his personality was like and how super obsessed he is about skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieC_5foElVk

Sept. 12, 2016, 6:53 a.m.

That 2' was by far the most dangerous ramp in that set up. With only 6' of flat you had no time to set up.

We had Chris Haslam come up and skate with us, both inside the park and outside at the outdoor park. We took out to dinner afterwards. He shared a lot of good stories about Rodney, Daewon, and some of his other teammates.

This was the final set up and the most fun. It was also the most well built. The only thing missing in the photo is a kinked rail in the middle of the bank next to the euro gap. On the other side was a 5' quarter pipe with a tight tranny, that connected to a big flat bank.

Sept. 12, 2016, 10:39 a.m.

i really like that 2' half pipe…i've always wanted to build something like that for me (and now my kids).

i just watched this below which is when i didn't much pay attention to skating in general. i was amazed by rodney when growing up, but didn't like freestyle too much. his interviews in the bones brigade doc kinda blew me away…i didn't really know what his personality was like and how super obsessed he is about skating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieC_5foElVk

His books is unreal and well worth the read.

Sept. 12, 2016, 2:14 p.m.

Old guys night every Friday at my friends indoor mini :)

viperfunk.com

Sept. 12, 2016, 6:52 p.m.

Dude nice mini! The secret to a good set up is width and tight(ish) trannies. Looks like you have both.

Sept. 24, 2016, 9:54 p.m.

this was cool to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa1VBlBj8NA

Sept. 25, 2016, 7:53 a.m.

That's rad. I got Chris to come skate at my park an at the outdoor. He gave a bunch of kids a healthy dose of stoke along with a bunch of product he brought up from Vancouver. He's such a nice guy. We took him out to dinner after a day of skating. He had so many good stories about Mullen, Daewon, and some of the dudes he looks up to. Chasing him around the outdoor park was a treat for sure. He's also creeping up in age now too hahaha….. I think he's 36 or 37 now.

Sept. 25, 2016, 12:56 p.m.

cool, it didn't even click it was the name you mentioned up a few posts. I came across it from another vid when the Haslam flip was mentioned. I like these dudes who do technical tricks that are a little different from typical flips. Not that flips aren't cool and hard. I also like the tricks where they flip one way then kick the board down to flip the other way. soo technical

Sept. 25, 2016, 1 p.m.

“Tell you the secret to a good life: always be the oldest one in the room.”

recent quote^^ from Yvon Chouinard

Sept. 25, 2016, 6:57 p.m.

cool, it didn't even click it was the name you mentioned up a few posts. I came across it from another vid when the Haslam flip was mentioned. I like these dudes who do technical tricks that are a little different from typical flips. Not that flips aren't cool and hard. I also like the tricks where they flip one way then kick the board down to flip the other way. soo technical

Wow I repeated myself within a few posts. Old man brain or what.

Haslam is no doubt in the top few all time when it comes to technical wizardry, but the esteem he holds Daewon to is another level. He said as good as Mullen was/is, Dae was so much faster that no one could even come close. His foot work is the fastest of anyone. If you're not already, follow Daewon on instagram. His everyday clips are mind numbing.