I dont smoke anymore

Nov. 14, 2012, 10:35 a.m.

They don't call it dope for nothing.

guess how i know your 50 years old.

Nov. 14, 2012, 10:36 a.m.

manager at a local dispensary is off to Amsterdam for the 25th annual Cannabis Cup. yes this exists. there was a Kush Cup in Van and he placed 2nd. MMJ guys dont fuck around. also sold this guy a kitten

Nov. 14, 2012, 10:40 a.m.

hey people , let's recognize the difference between real " addictive " substances like heroin and tobacco compared to " habit forming " substances like marihuana .

not saying either is any less difficult to overcome , but it is understood that the body actually makes physical/chemical changes when exposed to addictive substances , as opposed to patterns ( habits ) set in the mind when one engages in an activity over a period of time . the " cravings " addicts experience reflect the bodys' physical need for exposure to the addictive substance .

it is true , the mind is a powerful tool and will be critical for success or failure in either situation , but there needs to be a distinction made between addiction and habit .

Booze was a habit for me but for some people its addictive, MJ is definatley habit forming and I had no problems stopping either

Nov. 14, 2012, 10:43 a.m.

oh i get it. and props to your grandma for quitting. i have huge respect for anyone that does.

however, giving the excuse that "oh im addicted" as a reason for not quitting is just silly.

as for the vaporiser..i've been doing some reading and there are reports of allergic reactions to whatever comes out of it (smoke, odour etc). so it's not as innocuous as it seems.

Been well over a month now, cravings still crop up every morning. Once you know how to deal with them, and realize that they go away whether or not you smoke, life gets way easier/better. That said, I can say from substantial experience that "i'm addicted" is a reasonable explanation because it indicates that the smoker doesn't actually want to quit.

Nov. 14, 2012, 10:47 a.m.

hey people , let's recognize the difference between real " addictive " substances like heroin and tobacco compared to " habit forming " substances like marihuana .

not saying either is any less difficult to overcome , but it is understood that the body actually makes physical/chemical changes when exposed to addictive substances , as opposed to patterns ( habits ) set in the mind when one engages in an activity over a period of time . the " cravings " addicts experience reflect the bodys' physical need for exposure to the addictive substance .

it is true , the mind is a powerful tool and will be critical for success or failure in either situation , but there needs to be a distinction made between addiction and habit .

I stopped smoking weed without a second thought, no issues, didn't care, still don't.
Physically or emotionally I had no negatives when I stopped smoking weed. Although I did
find it effected my lungs worse than cigarettes (I have slight asthma)…probably from
growing up around a dad that smoked.

No, it's apparent that the person has an allergy. I don't think that anyone is claiming that a vaporizer will magically make people less allergic to a substance they are already allergic to.

Would still love to see a link to the studies.

I think maybe LG is referring to how some people [here] are saying that you can't smell anything
when someone uses a vaporizer. BS, I can smell anyone who smokes anything. Crack and Ice
are slight after a few hours but I can still smell it, while weed is very strong.

Same if someone is cooking up heroin, the smell stays on their skin all day.

I don't care how you smoke weed/crack/ice/tobacco, someone who doesn't smoke will be able
to smell it on you. Even a shower doesn't help for a heavy smoker.

Been well over a month now, cravings still crop up every morning. Once you know how to deal with them, and realize that they go away whether or not you smoke, life gets way easier/better. That said, I can say from substantial experience that "i'm addicted" is a reasonable explanation because it indicates that the smoker doesn't actually want to quit.

I had no issues quitting weed, literally was told I can't smoke it (USCG) and didn't. No cravings
no, weight gain/loss, didn't effect my sleep patterns, nothing.

The same cannot be said of my years of trying to quit…and yes I tried, yes I wanted to quit.
I had every reason (for myself) to quit. I watched my dad die of emphysema (that took several
years). I watched him smoking while he wheeled his bottle around. I watched him try and quit.
I watched him quit for 1-3 yrs at at time throughout my life. I saw the anger at himself for smoking.
I watched other people in the ocpd ward of the hospital wheeling their O2 bottles around to
go outside and smoke. When they couldn't do that on their own, I watched them wheel themselves
out on a wheel chair. The only time my dad quit for good was the final few months when he was
bed ridden, with his skin leaking fluid from retaining so much fluid from all the drugs he was
being given and the catheter he had in him for the final months because they had to give him
steroids to make his kidneys work harder and since he couldn't get up to pee on his own, or even
exert enough energy to turn sideways to pee in a bottle.

Throughout all that I still smoked. It's been well over 9 years since I quit, and I know if I smoked even
one drag, I'd be smoking again. I feel bad for kids of smokers because they grow up with
nicotine in their blood. They grow up addicted before they light their first smoke. That
addiction was the one thing I hated my dad for. If you have kids and smoke cigarettes, shame
on you. Quit Not smoking around them doesn't fool them, they smell it. They then associate
that smell with "dad" or "mom"…good things.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Nov. 14, 2012, 11:12 a.m.

Throughout all that I still smoked. It's been well over 9 years since I quit, and I know if I smoked even
one drag, I'd be smoking again. I feel bad for kids of smokers because they grow up with
nicotine in their blood. They grow up addicted before they light their first smoke. That
addiction was the one thing I hated my dad for. If you have kids and smoke cigarettes, shame
on you. Quit Not smoking around them doesn't fool them, they smell it. They then associate
that smell with "dad" or "mom"…good things.

oddly enough both my parents smoke cigarettes when I was a kid and I never smoked. There were never drugs and the only alcohol I ever saw was at Christmas but that's where my problems occurred.

I agree with you, when it came time to quit because I had to it was easy. I just stopped and haven't looked back. The couple of years of half assed quitting, only doing it on "special occassions" were just weak attempts because I hadn't committed myself to quitting.

Nov. 14, 2012, 11:30 a.m.

my mom smoked like a chimney when i was growing up . . . i didn't even know what clean air smelled like until i had left the house for a few years . one morning i woke up after a night out at a club and my clothes reeked of tobacco smoke . i thought " that's what i must have smelled like all through school " .

to this day , i can be in a room full of smokers and it just smells " normal " :lol:

Nov. 14, 2012, 11:31 a.m.

I think maybe LG is referring to how some people [here] are saying that you can't smell anything
when someone uses a vaporizer. BS, I can smell anyone who smokes anything. Crack and Ice
are slight after a few hours but I can still smell it, while weed is very strong.

Same if someone is cooking up heroin, the smell stays on their skin all day.

I don't care how you smoke weed/crack/ice/tobacco, someone who doesn't smoke will be able
to smell it on you. Even a shower doesn't help for a heavy smoker.

I think it was pretty clear what LG was referring to. She was claiming that the health benefits of using vaporizers are dubious and as evidence she cited an example of someone with an allergy to either tobacco or marijuana, having an allergic reaction to second hand tobacco or marijuana vapor.

As far as I've read in this thread, no one has said that "you can't smell anything", and even if it was said, was spoken in comparative terms to smoking. What I've said, and anyone else who has used a vaporizer will say, from first-hand experience, is that there is no lingering odor (on furniture, clothing, skin, facial hair…etc), which there isn't. You can smell the vapor while in use, but it dissipates much more quickly than smoke as there is little or no particulate residue left over after inhaling.

you can smell it in the immediate vicinity when it's on, like someone opened a bag of dope and then closed it. There is no lingering odor though on clothes, fingers, facial hair and/or furniture. Also, when the vape is off, there isn't much odor at all. Again, you have to be sitting within a foot or two of the thing to even catch a faint whiff, if you clean it out after every use, there is no odor from the device post-session.

Vaporizing pot is not the same as smoking. If you don't even know the difference, your opinion is invalid as far as I'm concerned, sorry. There is no combustion. Nothing is burned. There is no flame. There is no smoke. So justifying your incorrect opinions on vaporization citing your experience with people SMOKING various substances doesn't really work here. Though I do appreciate your keen sense of smell :)

My wife, for example, who does not smoke pot. Can walk into a room less than five minutes after me using the vaporizer and cannot smell anything.

But hey…. what do I know? I only have actual first-hand experience with a digital vaporizer and a non-smoking-healthcare-professional for a wife to give me, personally, feedback regarding odor.

Nov. 14, 2012, 11:52 a.m.

You are still heating the weed to the point before combustion. It releases aromatics that
I can smell. Just because combustion is not induced does not mean zero CO is produced not
does it mean no other aromatic vapors are produced. I have a hard time waking into a shop
with potpourri. If I spend more than 10-15 minutes in Pier1 I'm stuffed with a scratchy
throat and I can barely breath. There's no combustion occurring there just aromatics.
Whether the vapor is induced at a few hundred degrees or at room temperature, it can still
be smelt, and can effect people in a negative way. I personally like the smell of weed
before it's brunt, but my wife starts sneezing and wheezing. To her the smell of weed
just sitting in an open bag effects her the same as potpourri does me.

I do have issue when you say "health benefits" of using a vaporizer. It should be "having
less damaging effects than burning weed". Most people don't smoke weed to have better
health, they smoke it (or vaporize) it to get high. Some of the effects of THC are proven
for some things, but they are mostly to overcome some kind of negative reaction (chemo)
or used as a less harmful substance for pain relief or to induce hunger. But, for a healthy
person, there is no "health benefit" to taking that drug.

Awesome to be able to puff inside without making your house reek.

If you have a bag of weed in your house, I'll smell it. You vaporize it, I'll smell it more.
I grew up around dealers and smugglers, I helped my friends sort their crops. I'm not judging
you for smoking weed (just putting that out there), I think ALL drugs should be legal and
controlled/taxed.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Nov. 14, 2012, 11:57 a.m.

you're supposed to put weed into jars.. I use an MFLB inside movie theaters sometimes. exhale up, no one notices.. but when the A/C kicks in just as youre exhaling upward and it blows the vapor down, yes there is a noticeable smell :lol:

Nov. 14, 2012, 12:18 p.m.

I love misinformation.

Your wife lives with you, she isn't a third party standard in that sense. Thus your experience is not based on a neutral party.

There is a smell and always will be, creating a vapor leaves an odor. 100x less than a joint, sure but it's still there.

End of story

Clunking is for retards.

Nov. 14, 2012, 12:30 p.m.

You are still heating the weed to the point before combustion. It releases aromatics that
I can smell. Just because combustion is not induced does not mean zero CO is produced not
does it mean no other aromatic vapors are produced. I have a hard time waking into a shop
with potpourri. If I spend more than 10-15 minutes in Pier1 I'm stuffed with a scratchy
throat and I can barely breath. There's no combustion occurring there just aromatics.
Whether the vapor is induced at a few hundred degrees or at room temperature, it can still
be smelt, and can effect people in a negative way. I personally like the smell of weed
before it's brunt, but my wife starts sneezing and wheezing. To her the smell of weed
just sitting in an open bag effects her the same as potpourri does me.

I do have issue when you say "health benefits" of using a vaporizer. It should be "having
less damaging effects than burning weed". Most people don't smoke weed to have better
health, they smoke it (or vaporize) it to get high. Some of the effects of THC are proven
for some things, but they are mostly to overcome some kind of negative reaction (chemo)
or used as a less harmful substance for pain relief or to induce hunger. But, for a healthy
person, there is no "health benefit" to taking that drug.

If you have a bag of weed in your house, I'll smell it. You vaporize it, I'll smell it more.
I grew up around dealers and smugglers, I helped my friends sort their crops. I'm not judging
you for smoking weed (just putting that out there), I think ALL drugs should be legal and
controlled/taxed.

Again, as I said before. We're speaking in comparative terms to smoking. You understand what comparative means right? You understand what lingering odor is right? and the difference between an odor that lingers and one that doesn't? You understand the difference between the byproduct of smoking v. vaporizing?

You're a smart guy. You know all that sh*t.

Knowing that, are you still honestly trying to say that there isn't a difference, both the intensity and longevity, in odor between smoking and vaporizing? If you aren't claiming that the two are equal, what are you actually attempting to add to the conversation other than an irrelevant anecdote about how good your sense of smell is and how many drugs you've been around.

As for the health benefits, we're also speaking in comparative terms. So, to spell it out for you: VAPORIZING _ IS BETTER FOR YOUR HEALTH THAN SMOKING __ (comparative Vaporizing v. smoking). DOING DRUGS AND/OR SMOKING ISN'T GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH (Not that anyone in this thread has claimed anything to the contrary, but hey by all means, don't waste this golden opportunity to wax nostalgic about how you grew up street and how much more you know about drugs :lol:).

Nov. 14, 2012, 12:43 p.m.

I love misinformation.

Your wife lives with you, she isn't a third party standard in that sense. Thus your experience is not based on a neutral party.

There is a smell and always will be, creating a vapor leaves an odor. 100x less than a joint, sure but it's still there.

End of story

Misinformation? How so? I'm merely recounting my first hand experience and using my wife's observations to qualify it. You're right, she isn't a neutral party. But as a non smoker, living with one, her observations are valid. Particularly because she lived with me when I smoked pot AND since I've switched to vaporizing. I think that makes her uniquely qualified, in the absence of a clinical study, to comment on the direct comparison of Vaporized marijuana odor versus smoked marijuana odor, No? When did first hand experience suddenly become irrelevant?

What exactly is my motive for misinformation?

Nov. 14, 2012, 1 p.m.

I think it was pretty clear what LG was referring to. She was claiming that the health benefits of using vaporizers are dubious and as evidence she cited an example of someone with an allergy to either tobacco or marijuana, having an allergic reaction to second hand tobacco or marijuana vapor.

uh no that's not what i was getting at at all. hibullit had it bang on.

maybe try removing that really large chip off your shoulder.

Nov. 14, 2012, 1:17 p.m.

uh no that's not what i was getting at at all. hibullit had it bang on.

maybe try removing that really large chip off your shoulder.

Fair enough, I guess I misunderstood you. I apologize for the tone, honestly I didn't mean any offense.