I can do dorps to falt.

May 21, 2022, 3:11 p.m.

Jokers, they snapped. A lot.

May 21, 2022, 4:24 p.m.

Man bikes were all over the place, but that one was barely welded together. Broke 3. Everyone broke 3+. I suspect the SoCal guys couldn't properly fathom what their bikes were being asked to do. Dangerous Dan pulled me aside at purchase to forwarn me that it would crumple lol. 

Not all the bikes fault though, we were all *itching* to huck. Proper transitions rare as unicorns.

Yesterday on the trail ran into a trail builder looking for a guinea pig for a 6' cliff drop with another 4' down to tranny. I said why the fuck would I do that haha.

June 11, 2022, 11:22 a.m.

After getting some pictures that literally made me go sad and melancholic/frustrated in an instant, I turned in to this thread and had a giggle. Thank god you guys still deliver.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 11, 2022, 11:55 a.m.

Hi Mic. 

Hi.

June 11, 2022, 1:14 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Man bikes were all over the place, but that one was barely welded together. Broke 3. Everyone broke 3+. I suspect the SoCal guys couldn't properly fathom what their bikes were being asked to do. Dangerous Dan pulled me aside at purchase to forwarn me that it would crumple lol. 

Not all the bikes fault though, we were all *itching* to huck. Proper transitions rare as unicorns.

Yesterday on the trail ran into a trail builder looking for a guinea pig for a 6' cliff drop with another 4' down to tranny. I said why the fuck would I do that haha.

20 yrs ago Red Shred told me that  bike mfgers complained  his customers broke things that no body else broke, they were doing all the same crazy shit in WL as on the shore

June 11, 2022, 5 p.m.

Posted by: Putty

The Dare was a different story.  I had 2 and both were excellent bikes; the hyroformed model (2001 onward) was really strong.  Same hydroformed front end as the Joker but the rear end was the Jokers' weakness.  The Joker was originally going to be a separate brand from Ellsworth (called Aeon) which was a venture with Ventana to give a cheaper bike.  Ventana backed out and the Joker became an Ellsworth model.  I think from then they tried to pigeon hole it as a free ride bike to market it but failed to ensure it was up to stuff (again, the price point).  On Top was my shop for years and I saw too many to count that broke.  

Still miss my Dare's though.

June 11, 2022, 8:05 p.m.

Posted by: Polymath

The Dare was a different story.  I had 2 and both were excellent bikes; the hyroformed model (2001 onward) was really strong.  Same hydroformed front end as the Joker but the rear end was the Jokers' weakness.  The Joker was originally going to be a separate brand from Ellsworth (called Aeon) which was a venture with Ventana to give a cheaper bike.  Ventana backed out and the Joker became an Ellsworth model.  I think from then they tried to pigeon hole it as a free ride bike to market it but failed to ensure it was up to stuff (again, the price point).  On Top was my shop for years and I saw too many to count that broke.  

Still miss my Dare's though.

Interesting, didn't know much of that. Ah, that's right Aeon. Dang, good memory Polymath!

Yeah, I bought mine from On Top. Graham's old bike. Broke first ride lol.

I remember going to Interbike and watching Tony get yelled at about broken bikes.

June 11, 2022, 8:30 p.m.

whoosh, got any links, I don't get where this is going

June 12, 2022, 6:25 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

XXX’er not as old-school as his join-date proclaims?

Sold by On-Top Bike Shop (also too old-school to update their website and put bikes over skis in June) and ridden by Dangerous Dan and his crew of merry balance beam droppers.

https://nsmb.com/articles/4873-danger-dan-interview-pt-i-plus-vid/

Ellesworth was the quintessential free-ride dream. 6” of plush travel, with anti-squat numbers that put a newer high-pivot carbon super-bike to shame.

Man, a lot of those words needed hyphens to get past the spell-checker!

Last edited by: heckler on June 12, 2022, 6:34 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
June 12, 2022, 6:28 a.m.

Additional links:

https://www.ontopbikeshop.com

https://www.feedthehabit.com/mountain-biking/2002-ellsworth-joker-mountain-bike-review/

https://mbaction.com/ellsworth-dare/amp/

Last edited by: heckler on June 12, 2022, 6:35 a.m., edited 4 times in total.
June 12, 2022, 7:06 a.m.

But since this is @putty s thread, please kind sir, tell us some stories about Team Pangor in it’s early days.  I started building on it in 2003 with Switch and his brother and have always tried to keep it to my interpretation of original intent.  Erosion and time has had its way with some sections.  

To start - why is it called Team Pangor?   Most new riders now mistake it as Boogienights easier entrance or Pingu.

June 12, 2022, 8:42 a.m.

Posted by: heckle

I road the shore a few times in the late 80's, I remember being in that store probably also late 80's, but mostly i worked 50hrs a week every week  then I left Vangroovy for the narth in 95 so i missed the whole narth shore circle jerk but one can join NSMB from anywhere ... even PG

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 12, 2022, 8:59 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 12, 2022, 9:23 a.m.

Posted by: heckle

I road the shore a few times in the late 80's, I remember being in that store probably also late 80's, but mostly i worked 50hrs a week every week  then I left Vangroovy for the narth in 95 so i missed the whole narth shore circle jerk but one can join NSMB from anywhere ... even PG

Or Ireland, where I spent a year at uni, before going back to Germany. 

Posted by: heckler

Sold by On-Top Bike Shop (also too old-school to update their website and put bikes over skis in June) and ridden by Dangerous Dan and his crew of merry balance beam droppers.

https://nsmb.com/articles/4873-danger-dan-interview-pt-i-plus-vid/

Ellesworth was the quintessential free-ride dream. 6” of plush travel, with anti-squat numbers that put a newer high-pivot carbon super-bike to shame.

Man, a lot of those words needed hyphens to get past the spell-checker!

I SO wanted to have an Ellsworth, I remember meeting the Flowriders in Cologne at Eurobike in 2001 (?) when they were invited by what is now called Mountainbike Rider Magazine, and totally drooling over their bikes. 

Posted by: heckler

But since this is @putty s thread, please kind sir, tell us some stories about Team Pangor in it’s early days.  I started building on it in 2003 with Switch and his brother and have always tried to keep it to my interpretation of original intent.  Erosion and time has had its way with some sections.  

To start - why is it called Team Pangor?   Most new riders now mistake it as Boogienights easier entrance or Pingu.

To this day I still remember bits and pieces of riding down the trail, and am in need of another road trip, I guess.  

Hi Mic. 

Hi.

Hi Putty.

June 12, 2022, 11:14 a.m.

Pangor was named after Team Pangor, Wheeler, Scirrocen and those dudes. Pangor was also a pan in Buck Rogers.

June 12, 2022, 12:44 p.m.

Haha...almost forgot about Neil.

Hi Putty. You got old.