hydro bill

Dec. 30, 2010, 10:41 a.m.

Ok me and my wife just purchased a new home. but do not move into till march, It is brand new so not real way to get records of the hydro from this year and years before. Ok It is a new home, so has energy star windows, and everything in the house. front load washer and dryer ex…… It has electric baseboard heating and I know that is not the best way to heat your home. and also has electric hot water tank 60G. What do you guys pay for a family of 4 with similar set up. The house is 2400 sq feet. I was thinking 150 a month in the winter and 125 in the summer. right now for our 1200 sq foot apartment we pay 60 a month but it is also old and nothing in it is engery star. Any info from anyone would be great.

Thanks

Builder of Little Bastard

Dec. 30, 2010, 11:49 a.m.

We pay about $75 for hydro a month plus $100 for gas in the winter. Same square footage but only 2 of us. 2 year old place.

I`ve heard horror stories from friends of $400 hydro bills in winter with similar size old houses and no gas heat.

Dec. 30, 2010, 12:03 p.m.

wow i'm jealous you have baseboard heating! we just moved into our first home a couple weeks ago and I HATE having gas heat. It's all or nothing and drives me crazy. I don't like to be hot and especially can't stand a warm house at night (in our condo we didn't have heat on anywhere but little mans room) so far we have basically had the heat off (it's set at 62 during the day and 55 at night) and we bought a space heater for little mans room.
no idea what bills are going to be like yet.

Dec. 30, 2010, 12:08 p.m.

ya since it is a near home we will see. Me and my wife are good and turing off lights and not leaving things on. So I guess only time with tell.

Dec. 30, 2010, 1:14 p.m.

Not sure what emeralds goin on about. I like gas heating. With careful setup and positioning of a thermostat its not that hard to get reasonable results. Plus having a gas fireplace is key to a happy gf.

Dec. 30, 2010, 1:20 p.m.

i have a gas fireplace also in the living room, was thinking of using that to heat the living room and keeping the heat off in the living room. and then just keeping the bedrooms on a lower temp to save money. Looking to get a insulated cover for the water heater also, and i heard using tin foil and wraping it around the tank in 2 or 3 layers will really help keep the heat in. Anyone else have any other energy saving tips.

Dec. 30, 2010, 1:23 p.m.

wow i'm jealous you have baseboard heating! we just moved into our first home a couple weeks ago and I HATE having gas heat. It's all or nothing and drives me crazy. I don't like to be hot and especially can't stand a warm house at night (in our condo we didn't have heat on anywhere but little mans room) so far we have basically had the heat off (it's set at 62 during the day and 55 at night) and we bought a space heater for little mans room.
no idea what bills are going to be like yet.

Buy a programable thermostat.

Something like this:

Spend some time working out the heating schedule to match your life schedule and then you don't need to touch it other than when you are out of town.

Dec. 30, 2010, 1:25 p.m.

Anyone else have any other energy saving tips.

http://www.bchydro.com/guides_tips/green-your-home.html

BTW, tin foil (aluminum) is not a insultator so won't help keep heat in your hot water tank.

A new hot water tank is already going to have a thick insulation layer, adding more likely won't make much of a difference.

Dec. 30, 2010, 1:39 p.m.

Buy a programable thermostat.

Something like this:

Spend some time working out the heating schedule to match your life schedule and then you don't need to touch it other than when you are out of town.

yeah we have one of those and it is set like I said… the problem isn't the timing of the heat at all, it's that I just naturally run really hot especially at night. I don't like to have much heat on in the house because I get way to hot especially pregnant! With gas heat I can't have it off in say living areas and my bedroom but on in nino's room so he doesn't freeze at night. Either I have to be way to hot, or the kid freezes. Electric heat was awesome because we could choose which rooms had heat and which didn't.

Dec. 30, 2010, 1:44 p.m.

If you have forced air, shut the floor registers in your bedroom, close them to 1/2 in the living room and make sure they are open in your kid's room.

Dec. 30, 2010, 1:47 p.m.

We pay about $225/month in the winter and about $65/month in the summer but we have a couple of small out-buildings that are also heated as well as a barn which isn't. Based on that you are probably right in the ball park at $150 a month in the winter.

Dec. 30, 2010, 1:49 p.m.

we have them closed all through the house except the kid's room, it doesn't do much because the thermostat is downstairs and nino's room is upstairs so it still gets way to hot in the main areas. It's irritating lol we ended up buying a space heater for little mans room and keeping the heat basically off.

Dec. 30, 2010, 2:20 p.m.

thanks everyone for the info.

Dec. 30, 2010, 7:18 p.m.

where did you end up buyin?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Dec. 30, 2010, 7:27 p.m.

Don't know if your interested but these are fully programmable and can throttle the baseboard heater in 25% increments when the stat comes to the set temperature.

http://customer.honeywell.com/Honeywell/ProductInfo.aspx/TL8230A1003

they usually go for $60.00 per stat here in Canuckistan. Might a little much but I'm a HVAC guy and I love them.