Humanity: Post of the week - discuss.

Oct. 7, 2022, 9:40 p.m.

Will add there is as far as I know two recreated examples of fortified villages in Ontario. Believe saw this one about 1987.

https://www.blogto.com/travel/2020/10/ska-nah-doht-village-ontario/

The other was done I believe a bit later after at Crawford Lake Conservation Area near Milton.

Oct. 8, 2022, 9:46 a.m.

as I understand it the Wetsuet en & the Gitxsan stood together against the Haida raids to keep from being overun which is probably a smart strategey ,

I notice the Haida seem to be big

They still go up against each other every year at the all-native basetball tournament and it was pointed out to me that a lot of kids are born 9 months later

Oct. 8, 2022, 11:44 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

as I understand it the Wetsuet en & the Gitxsan stood together against the Haida raids to keep from being overun which is probably a smart strategey ,

I notice the Haida seem to be big

They still go up against each other every year at the all-native basetball tournament and it was pointed out to me that a lot of kids are born 9 months later

That bit of history about banding together isn't well documented beyond oral history. It makes sense that it happened as if you look at other ethnic groups back then and before then it happened the clans and tribes banding together against what they viewed as a threat.

Oct. 8, 2022, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: three-sheets

Posted by: syncro

That would be taking an Indigenous Worldview where the concepts of Relationality and Reciprocity are of the utmost importance. 

Or you could also call it anti-capitalistic, but that would require a wholesale change of the Western Worldview where individual ideology would have to take a back seat to collaborative and ideology.

Except the part where nations (tribes) raped and pillaged each other, just like everyone else.

And where did you learn this?

Syncro...since you asked and while a Celtic example still if my ancestors did it was happening elsewhere on the plant. My fathers clan MacFarlane was well known among the clans near and around Loch Lomond for cattle theft. Yep we where so good at it they used to call the nights it was done MacFarlane's Moon.  Reality is despite us deluding ourselves with bullshit about they aren't like us and so on. Humans will do things to each other based on numerous things and not always because it was a good thing to do.

And on a rare occasion some will do something completely unexpected that was forgotten that over a century later creates something else.

Oct. 8, 2022, 12:09 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

The point is, your romantic view of some relatioality and repricocity is bullshit created by some apologist native studies carreer students.

This I agree. And it isn't just that aspect of our history that has been made much more nice ad romantic. Fuck...wasn't till moved to Kingston and read a bit more about this area that I found out why exactly why so many Irish and Scots came here. It had nothing to do with what most think is why.

Oct. 8, 2022, 12:19 p.m.

Most won't recall this incident from 2 years ago. But it is a worthy read because many of the Choctaw people themselves never new what their people did in 1847.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-irish-donate-to-hard-hit-native-americans-to-repay-famine-aid-1.4245807

https://www.choctawnation.com/about/history/irish-connection/