HTC/Google Phones

Oct. 20, 2009, 10:02 p.m.

Does anyone have any experience with either HTC phones or Google Android? I'm thinking about getting a new phone, and the HTC Dream looks interesting from my limited time checking it out.

What I'm looking for in a phone:
- Rogers network
- full keyboard
- not super big

Any recommendations?

Oct. 20, 2009, 10:21 p.m.

My friend has one(HTC Dream) and its pretty cool. I can ask him about it, anything you would like to know in particular?

flickr

Oct. 21, 2009, 12:05 a.m.

Sounds like you are more concerned with the hardware side so I would say go play with all of them and decide from there…

HTC looks cool.

I would also consider the newest blackberry curve, it is pretty small for a nice full size keyboard.

that is the most reatrded thing ever even a retarded would say thats retarded

Oct. 21, 2009, 1:03 a.m.

get and iphone

Oct. 21, 2009, 7:11 a.m.

Nokia E71

Click Me

Oct. 21, 2009, 7:30 a.m.

I like my HTC. It does everything an Iphone does without the propriatory software. But if you're not good with computers get an IPhone because I don't know how my mom would every figure out my HTC.

Oct. 21, 2009, 7:56 a.m.

Blackberry Curve 8900

You'll like it.

Oct. 21, 2009, 8:23 a.m.

You can check out a review of the TMobile G1 (I think it is the same as the dream). I usually like this guy's reviews.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=179[HTML_REMOVED]tag=col1;post-1725

If you really like the android phones, maybe consider holding out for the Hero model, though I don't know when it is coming to Rogers.

Also …. Bell and Telus are converting their networks over to handle GSM phones. If you aren't locked in with Rogers you might want to consider looking at what GSM phones they will be selling. I have seen advertisements for Bell selling the iPhone starting sometime this November.

Oct. 21, 2009, 8:43 a.m.

Also keep in mind that if you're really into getting an Android phone, that the Dream and Magic Rogers is offering are a little underpowered for the OS and the newer crop of phones coming out running Android are going to be serious improvements over the original HTC's:

Samsung Moment

Motorola Droid

Sony-Ericsson Xperia X3

Of course it would mean waiting a few months to see if Canadian carriers actually bother updating their 5-year old lineup.

There are like 50 more Android-based phones coming out in the next couple of years too apparently but we're always so far behind in tech.

Oct. 21, 2009, 9:44 a.m.

….
Of course it would mean waiting a few months to see if Canadian carriers actually bother updating their 5-year old lineup.

There are like 50 more Android-based phones coming out in the next couple of years too apparently but we're always so far behind in tech.

If you are interested in the latest phones I would consider not waiting for our service providers and buying an unlocked one (must be on a GSM network). My next phone will probably be purchased from here http://www.phonemore.ca. It's a bit of a gamble but at least you can get what you want without any of the phone features being crippled by the carrier.

Oct. 21, 2009, 10:09 a.m.

If you are interested in the latest phones I would consider not waiting for our service providers and buying an unlocked one (must be on a GSM network). My next phone will probably be purchased from here http://www.phonemore.ca. It's a bit of a gamble but at least you can get what you want without any of the phone features being crippled by the carrier.

Buying an unlocked phone would be awesome. But there is no way I have $600+ to spend on a phone.

Oct. 21, 2009, 10:18 a.m.

I have an HTC Dream and I really like it. I found it much more intuitive to use than the LG phones I was looking at before. The battery power is total shit though; I have to charge mine every night. My roommate says that Rogers has really "Rogerfied" the Android platform, compared to his two unlocked HTC phones he has. I'm not "really good with computers" and I haven't had any issues with mine as of yet. It's a fun phone, seems pretty fast, and I like that it comes with a 2 gig memory card, instead of just internal memory, so you can easily just buy another micro SD card and expand it.

Oct. 21, 2009, 10:25 a.m.

Buying an unlocked phone would be awesome. But there is no way I have $600+ to spend on a phone.

That's my opinion as well. Really cool unlocked phones you can buy, but the prices are fucking ridiculous.

Oct. 21, 2009, 10:57 a.m.

I hear that nokia razr is pretty sick.

// What's Good // F U N E R A L // Ultramontane // DEEP SIX //

Oct. 21, 2009, 11 a.m.

That's my opinion as well. Really cool unlocked phones you can buy, but the prices are fucking ridiculous.

You can pay now or later. If you buy a phone on a plan you are going to pay the same price eventually. I am pretty sure the carriers are doing fairly well and it is not from giving away phones.

My next phone will probably be the touch diamond 2. If I could get it from rogers/fido they would force me into an additional data plan which I personally wouldn't want. I just use the wifi when I want data. When I get my next phone I will just pop in the sim card and continue on my current plan.

FWIW, Fido would love to sell me a new phone for cheap. The price of that would be the loss of my old City Fido plan. $45 month unlimited local voice, no system fee.