HST results out today - update: HST DEFEATED!

Aug. 26, 2011, 9:40 p.m.

Right. The bike shops won't mind people putting off bike purchases until the PST is back. What's 18 months worth of sales anyway?

I know someone in the reno business who's freaking out over the drop in business expected until this is settled.

I don't know if this will push BC back into recession, but ai lot of people are going to be hurting.

Morons! :cry:

Why pay tax at all, just go to Oregon.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 26, 2011, 9:45 p.m.

Does anybody NOT think it's great for the government to be collecting a more efficient tax (HST). In other words, it will cost them less money to collect the tax. If it costs the governements (federal/provincial) less money to collect a tax, this then means they are getting more bang for the buck. When social programs, health care, education and infrastructure investments begin to get cut as a result of less revenue to the government(s), the ones who voted to extinguish the HST better pat themselves on the back.

The negative/postive impact of the HST to me as an individual is/was nominal, however, the positive impact to business and government seemed far to great to extinguish the HST.

I have a feeling the way they worded this question on the ballot will eventually be found to be misleading in a court of law, and we will find ourselves voting all over again in 4 years time. HST will stay…

Aug. 26, 2011, 9:55 p.m.

Does anybody NOT think it's great for the government to be collecting a more efficient tax (HST). In other words, it will cost them less money to collect the tax. If it costs the governements (federal/provincial) less money to collect a tax, this then means they are getting more bang for the buck. When social programs, health care, education and infrastructure investments begin to get cut as a result of less revenue to the government(s), the ones who voted to extinguish the HST better pat themselves on the back.

The negative/postive impact of the HST to me as an individual is/was nominal, however, the positive impact to business and government seemed far to great to extinguish the HST.

I have a feeling the way they worded this question on the ballot will eventually be found to be misleading in a court of law, and we will find ourselves voting all over again in 4 years time. HST will stay…

Nice then that will get us outside the 5 yr agreement.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 26, 2011, 10:04 p.m.

Why pay tax at all, just go to Oregon.

Or spend over 250 bones on CRC

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 26, 2011, 10:48 p.m.

lol at "supply side is a failure". it's an important part of the pie, you can't have business taxes at 50% and expect anybody to set up shop here.

I'd like a source on the 'Corp tax is 50%' FUD. Cause I guarantee my company isn't paying that rate in our Vancouver branch.

Aug. 26, 2011, 10:50 p.m.

All this talk about how the HST is good for business and all the savings that will be passed on to the consumer…

The HST has increased the costs to the customers of the business I work for. The bulk of what we charge for is labour, which was GST only. Many of our customers are businesses themselves…who do you think they are passing that 7% increase to?

Aug. 26, 2011, 11:02 p.m.

I for one don't see a problem with more consumption taxes, or with services costing more.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Aug. 26, 2011, 11:10 p.m.

I for one don't see a problem with more consumption taxes, or with services costing more.

How about:

Groceries
Restaurant meals
Clothing
Beer
Property taxes

Just to name a few.

I'm not saying overall the old system was better…just pointing out a hole in the "passing on the savings argument"

Aug. 26, 2011, 11:24 p.m.

boom. pst increase to pay for repealing the hst. take that, fvckers.

thats still an expense to us…. you're argument is invalid.

anus

Aug. 26, 2011, 11:38 p.m.

As a beancounter I am outraged. Way to go idiots.

Maybe next time the 4 million people of BC will vote against what they want so that a handful of bean counters won't be outraged.

Clark said she'd lower the HST and revert corporate tax back up. Simple solution for her is to put the corporate tax up to 11%.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 27, 2011, 12:30 a.m.

Democracy won, smart public policy lost.

This is more accurate.

Maybe politics failed because when every independent study released says that HST is good for the economy and that it's a progressive tax, etc etc and people don't pay attention and vote with their brains then it's pretty disappointing.

In the case of federal politics where it isn't as easily clear cut which party is better than the other (ignoring ideology). It's easier to accept another political party that governs with a different ideology than you winning an election than your fellow provincial population ignoring factual evidence en masse and essentially giving the finger to our economy.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Aug. 27, 2011, 12:36 a.m.

How about:

Groceries
Restaurant meals
Clothing
Beer
Property taxes

Just to name a few.

I'm not saying overall the old system was better…just pointing out a hole in the "passing on the savings argument"

I don't care about the savings, I care about the consumption tax revenue.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Aug. 27, 2011, 1:35 a.m.

Maybe next time the 4 million people of BC will vote against what they want so that a handful of bean counters won't be outraged.

Clark said she'd lower the HST and revert corporate tax back up. Simple solution for her is to put the corporate tax up to 11%.

Well, first of all, it wasn't 4 million in favour of scrapping it. The bean counters that are outraged are the ones who actually understand the implications, have practical experience in the matter, and aren't convinced by sensationalist arguments from the other side.

Whatever, thanks for costing the province [HTML_REMOVED]$3billion because you don't want to pay an extra few bucks on bikes or groceries.

FAMILYBIKERIDE
823/Ringle rear wheel FS!
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=103825

i went black over two years ago and haven't gone back

Aug. 27, 2011, 6:03 a.m.

since the hst came in it has cost me a extra 40000 plus this year alone, buying a new home, car, and buying food all adds up. I had more money in my pocket and i made more before the hst came in. Im a chef and all places serving food are down in sales since the HST. So for the industry Im in it will be great once pst and gst go back.

Builder of Little Bastard

Aug. 27, 2011, 6:53 a.m.

since the hst came in it has cost me a extra 40000 plus this year alone, buying a new home, car, and buying food all adds up. I had more money in my pocket and i made more before the hst came in.

Bull shit.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.