HST results out today - update: HST DEFEATED!

Aug. 27, 2011, 7:44 p.m.

Blame the people who voted against the HST all you want but at the end of the day the government failed and they are the ones to blame for this shit storm. The HST makes sense plain and simple. However, what doesn't make any sense is how it was implemented, how they educated the general public about it, and how they wanted to tax litterally everything at 12%.

For those of you who are calling those who voted against the HST stupid should be turning your petty anger toward the government for comletely shitting the bed for a completely fucked up plan from the start.

Aug. 27, 2011, 7:49 p.m.

i bet i would of saw some of those savings since he would have a larger area to work with when a offer is put in. I got my home 25000 below asking i bet i could of go another 10g's off.

Builder of Little Bastard

Aug. 27, 2011, 7:56 p.m.

On a 500,000 home, the difference would be $10,140. Unless you're too dumb to apply for the New Housing Rebate. And that's only applicable to a new home - you're the first occupant. If you're buying a home that someone's lived in for more than a year than there's no change vs. PST system.

there should have been a skill testing question to qualify people's vote on this issue. would have changed the result.

Aug. 28, 2011, 8:10 a.m.

They can't delay buying my services. When their shit breaks, they need it fixed.

Like I said, my comment isn't about the merits of hst vs gst/pst.

Glad you won't be suffering any delays in demand.

You're right. Your comment completely ignores whether it's just to tax some business but not others.

Equal is fair. Giving lower taxes to industries that whine the loudest is as smart as letting the populace decide tax policy. If the biking wasn't so awesome here I'd be thinking about moving to Ontario. :stupid:

Aug. 28, 2011, 8:21 a.m.

Blame the people who voted against the HST all you want but at the end of the day the government failed and they are the ones to blame for this shit storm. The HST makes sense plain and simple. However, what doesn't make any sense is how it was implemented, how they educated the general public about it, and how they wanted to tax litterally everything at 12%.

For those of you who are calling those who voted against the HST stupid should be turning your petty anger toward the government for comletely shitting the bed for a completely fucked up plan from the start.

Agreed. I don't think the HST will be gone anyway. They'll find a way to keep it, but this time have to do it properly. What I like about the results is the message it gives the government (well I hope they see it) get your shit together and stop fucking with us.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Aug. 28, 2011, 8:49 a.m.

The "I'm a business owner and it's going to cost me more and be a pain in the ass to do my taxes" argument is weak. It's the cost of doing business. What were you doing for decades before the HST came around?

Aug. 28, 2011, 9:13 a.m.

The "I'm a business owner and it's going to cost me more and be a pain in the ass to do my taxes" argument is weak. It's the cost of doing business. What were you doing for decades before the HST came around?

charging YOU more $$$ because consider if the HST made it cheaper/easier for Joe the business owner to do business then it was also made it equally cheaper for Bob the business owner down the street to do business

SO unless Joe [HTML_REMOVED] Bob agree to price fix they would have to be competitive on their bidding so wouldn't they have to sharpen their pencils to get your business ?

SO when the PST comes back you will pay more pretty simple …just like the average voter ?

Aug. 28, 2011, 9:14 a.m.

Paying less, or no tax on things id say.

Aug. 28, 2011, 9:35 a.m.

Sucka's. I live in Mountains, make decent money, and only pay 5% GST. Our roads are good, our electricity works, and generally, except for the odd :swearing: moment, we simply don't notice our Government.

If the Gov't of BC had any brains at all, they would take advantage of the huge shale gas play that's sitting up North in BC, provide tax breaks for the industry to entice them, force Kitimat down your throats, build one or two LNG terminals, and employ the provinces out of work blue collars again. Not only would you see an increased consumption tax revenue, you would also be able to take royalties like greedy kids from the industry and once they've gotten past their introductory tax rates, jack 'em up. You and Quebec are sitting on veritable gold mines and ignoring them while charging the shit outta your people to live in beautiful places…

Aug. 28, 2011, 9:56 a.m.

but if i did not have to pay that, then also u have to take into account the builder had to pay hst on your the labour to build the home, which makes it cost more for me. trust me i worked the number. Did you buy a new house in the last 6 months if not then trust me u are wrong. and did apply for the rebate but the rebate just goes back to the builder.

what? the rebate goes back to the builder? where did you get that?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 28, 2011, 10:06 a.m.

hey i totally agree that the way the hst was implemented sucked. what i and some others are saying tho is that by voting with their anger the people that decided to punish the govt have also ignorantly punished themselves. you said it yourself, that the hst makes sense.

what baffles me is why a slim majority of the people that voted yes couldn't put aside their anger to recognize that overall the hst is better for the economic health of the province. like someone else said, it's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. that kind of thinking is short sighted.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 28, 2011, 10:17 a.m.

Sucka's. I live in Mountains, make decent money, and only pay 5% GST. Our roads are good, our electricity works, and generally, except for the odd :swearing: moment, we simply don't notice our Government.

If the Gov't of BC had any brains at all, they would take advantage of the huge shale gas play that's sitting up North in BC, provide tax breaks for the industry to entice them, force Kitimat down your throats, build one or two LNG terminals, and employ the provinces out of work blue collars again. Not only would you see an increased consumption tax revenue, you would also be able to take royalties like greedy kids from the industry and once they've gotten past their introductory tax rates, jack 'em up. You and Quebec are sitting on veritable gold mines and ignoring them while charging the shit outta your people to live in beautiful places…

what does any of this have to do with the HST vote?

Wouldn't you be happy enough if cases of Budwieser were cheaper ?

Aug. 28, 2011, 10:19 a.m.

Blame the government - yea ok, fine because they did screw up! But seriously, shame on the following two groups:
a) those who didn't vote at all
b) those who voted but were too dumb/ignorant to educate themselves

Everyone should start with looking in the mirror.

Aug. 28, 2011, 10:22 a.m.

charging YOU more $$$ because consider if the HST made it cheaper/easier for Joe the business owner to do business then it was also made it equally cheaper for Bob the business owner down the street to do business

SO unless Joe [HTML_REMOVED] Bob agree to price fix they would have to be competitive on their bidding so wouldn't they have to sharpen their pencils to get your business ?

SO when the PST comes back you will pay more pretty simple …just like the average voter ?

SO if I drink your Kool-aid then Joe [HTML_REMOVED] Bob should have reduced their rates/prices after the HST came out. I don't remember that happening. Since when do business owners pass on their savings to the consumer?

You live in a fantasy land.

Aug. 28, 2011, 10:34 a.m.

Democracy wins.
Business loses.

I'm torn on this one. Did we do good?

Regardless, I'm buying my new DH rig the minute the old tax kicks back in. Take advantage before the next "HST" comes in.