HST results out today - update: HST DEFEATED!

Aug. 27, 2011, 7:48 a.m.

All this talk about how the HST is good for business and all the savings that will be passed on to the consumer…

The HST has increased the costs to the customers of the business I work for. The bulk of what we charge for is labour, which was GST only. Many of our customers are businesses themselves…who do you think they are passing that 7% increase to?

Do you think it's fair for a business selling goods like bean bags to to have to charge a higher tax so your service business can charge no tax? You know it's not!

If I were you I'd start looking for part-time work while people delay buying your services until the PST is back.

Aug. 27, 2011, 8:30 a.m.

I spend a fortune on bike crap. So far the higher tax has cost me roughly an additional $500. Pretty f'n steep for green transportation(no I'm not a shuttle whore), and pretty ridiculous the more I think about it.

Aug. 27, 2011, 8:31 a.m.

Do you think it's fair for a business selling goods like bean bags to to have to charge a higher tax so your service business can charge no tax? You know it's not!

If I were you I'd start looking for part-time work while people delay buying your services until the PST is back.

Why wait for the PST to come back. Cash job = no pST or HST.

Oh wait - bean counters don't consider cash jobs. They assume everyone
Pays the 12 percent VAT right now

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Aug. 27, 2011, 8:57 a.m.

Well, in a competitive marketplace where others are trying to take a way your business

Which way are they taking?

;)

Aug. 27, 2011, 8:59 a.m.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/08/27/brian-hutchinson-hst-vote-repudiation-of-b-c-s-liberal-government/

I'd like to ask all "genius" types out there who voted "yes", where do you think the BC government is going to get the:
"Ottawa expects to recover $1.6-billion in “transitional assistance” funds it gave B.C. as part of an HST agreement the two governments hastily forged in 2009. The tax came into effect July 1, 2010." ?

Let me re-phrase that, if the vote was to have zero tax, what would be the expected result? BC politics - FAIL.

Aug. 27, 2011, 9:31 a.m.

what this vote came down to was not about the merits of the hst at all; it was an emotionally led vote by people who wanted to punish gordo and the liberals. if the public that voted yes had educated themselves and simply voted on the merits of the two different tax systems then we'd still have the hst.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 27, 2011, 11:03 a.m.

True. The results might have been different if the question was a simple choice.

1. HST
  2. PST
Aug. 27, 2011, 11:35 a.m.

I spend a fortune on bike crap. So far the higher tax has cost me roughly an additional $500. Pretty f'n steep for green transportation(no I'm not a shuttle whore), and pretty ridiculous the more I think about it.

Pretty selfish of you to not care about how the HST makes bean counters happier, and how corporations have to go back to paying their fair share of taxes.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 27, 2011, 12:14 p.m.

what this vote came down to was not about the merits of the hst at all; it was an emotionally led vote by people who wanted to punish gordo and the liberals. if the public that voted yes had educated themselves and simply voted on the merits of the two different tax systems then we'd still have the hst.

It's more of a fuck you you can't lie to us and then think you can do what you want

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 27, 2011, 3:07 p.m.

not bull shit a extra 7 percent on 500000 is a shit load man. it would be a extra 35000 alone. So do not tell me it is bullshit. Plus with kids u have to pay hst on cloths before only 5 percent.

Builder of Little Bastard

Aug. 27, 2011, 4:19 p.m.

not bull shit a extra 7 percent on 500000 is a shit load man. it would be a extra 35000 alone. So do not tell me it is bullshit. Plus with kids u have to pay hst on cloths before only 5 percent.

On a 500,000 home, the difference would be $10,140. Unless you're too dumb to apply for the New Housing Rebate. And that's only applicable to a new home - you're the first occupant. If you're buying a home that someone's lived in for more than a year than there's no change vs. PST system.

http://www.vancouver-real-estate-direct.com/HST/chart.html

I still call bullshit.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 27, 2011, 5:53 p.m.

They can't delay buying my services. When their shit breaks, they need it fixed.

Like I said, my comment isn't about the merits of hst vs gst/pst.

Aug. 27, 2011, 6:27 p.m.

and we sure showed them eh, the question is did we cut off our nose just to spite our face?

Aug. 27, 2011, 7:36 p.m.

but if i did not have to pay that, then also u have to take into account the builder had to pay hst on your the labour to build the home, which makes it cost more for me. trust me i worked the number. Did you buy a new house in the last 6 months if not then trust me u are wrong. and did apply for the rebate but the rebate just goes back to the builder.

Builder of Little Bastard

Aug. 27, 2011, 7:43 p.m.

But he builder would pass the savings on to you, right?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells