How to be a Great Human

March 29, 2019, 2:42 p.m.

How to compose a successful critical commentary:

You should attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your target says, “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.
        You should list any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
        You should mention anything you have learned from your target.
        Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

I have a few man-crushes and DD is right up there.  Read his books if you can.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-criticize-with-kindness-philosopher-daniel-dennett-on-the-four-steps-to-arguing-intelligently

March 29, 2019, 8:42 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

i wasn't aware this guy was still an important figure. my second philosophy class, 'the philosophy of free will'  was based on his book.  those were heady days. would leave my business class, head to this class and my mind would be blown. my bus profs were low ignorant and lifeless beasts. my philosophy prof, Dr Pinto was a whirlwind of energy and enthusiasm, challenging us to think from different angles always challenging, engaging, story telling, joking, speaking in accents, throwing chalk if your attention wandered. i would leave class flush with heat from the passion.  then back to a bus course, devoid of meaning or value. it was very strange. i should have taken an arts degree.

If I had the chance to take that course, you'd have likely hated me.

I would have loved it and wouldn't have shut up.

March 29, 2019, 8:54 p.m.

my philosophy prof, Dr Pinto was a whirlwind of energy and enthusiasm, challenging us to think from different angles always challenging, engaging, story telling, joking, speaking in accents, throwing chalk if your attention wandered. 

I think that's one of the hardest things in life to do, to think critically from the opposite perspective, to think against your own beliefs and biases. When we do that, we're challenging our own identities and as a result put ourselves in an uncomfortable position which of course is antithetical to what most people want. It's far easier to be safe and comfortable in your knowledge than it is embrace the fear that your beliefs may be wrong.

April 1, 2019, noon

no doubt. a few weeks ago here i posted a comment about 'wolf wacking' contests and how disturbing it is. my natural inclination is very emotional conservationist, bordering on reactionary. when i first moved to BC i was extremely taken by every far left ideal about wildlife and conservation. i learned hard and fast how complicated it is and how my perspectives were so ignorant. 

the first time in the interior excited beyond belief at the vastness, i asked a local about the elk population. he said they were all killed by the local native band, run down and shot from sleds, no local herd anymore. this did not jive with my understanding of the world in any way. 

back to wolf wacking. i've been reading and following a guide hunter who is very well spoken and has a huge hatred for predators (and most people), especially southern city people. as dark and disturbing as his perspectives are, if you try hard you can see how and why this perspective exists, without hating the people who hold it.  the wolf population has exploded and decimated many ungulate pops due to extensive remote road building. we fucked up the remote north and have caused huge imbalances. whether i like it or not, it may be natural and human, all too human to feel competition and dislike for other animals. my perspective is young, modern and possibly naive. humans have always seen themselves as competing for game with other animals. who's right?  i don't know. do we let the cycle run its natural course. decades for wildlife populations to repopulate and rebalance? do we let the remaining woodland cariboo to just go? do we let live stock get predated on without trying to stop it?  i don't know the answers.

That is funny because when you posted that my gut reaction was "It is probably some inflammatory hit piece from environmentalists" but then I realized I don't know nearly enough about this to even make a brief comment, nevermind any reason for a strong opinion.  The question is much bigger than wolves as you say.  Humans have had such a massive impact on wildlife, do we try and make it right or let it run its course.  Ya, I have no clue either, although if they are wacking wolves for no reason it should stop now.