How much do you know about the history of Indigenous people under Canadian rule?

April 19, 2022, 5:11 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I just disagree with the idea that obsession of wealth and power is a defining part of our culture.  I believe it is a symptom of our success.  It is only a select few sociopaths within our culture that are actually pursuing either, so how can that define the other 99.9% of us?  It is the opposite of what most of us teach our children.  Corruption and greed show up in all cultures and especially once we live in large enough communities that the ruling class can live separate lives so they don't have to face the consequences of their actions.  In a lot of ways we have improved how we treat the environment in our lifetimes.  That is why oil and mining companies would rather do business outside of our borders in places where they can get away with more.  

In a nutshell I think we live with Western guilt that doesn't allow us to see how far we have come and identify our strengths.  We can recognize the people we stepped on along the way while also accepting that we now have a responsibility to lead all of humanity into a better future whether it is standing up to dictators or moving mountains to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.  I feel like there is a perception on the left that the west needs to step aside, but I think we need to step up and make up for the damage we have caused.

Obsession with wealth and power doesn't have to happen on a grand scale, it affects day to day lives of all the little people too. How often are mobile phones, computers, tv's etc replaced? How often are our purchasing choices influenced by looking like one of the cool kids? It may not be what our children are taught, but we are constantly bombarded by the messaging of needing to have the cool things. Western society has positives, but at it's core Western society is still about exploitation - of people and the planet. That needs to change in a hurry, and if we don't do it willingly then it will be forced upon us by the planet herself.

April 19, 2022, 5:15 p.m.

Back to our regular programming, the dispossession of Indigenous people from their land, culture and identities.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2022/04/19/Their-Land-Was-Drowned-By-A-Flood-Of-Hydropower/

Kathy Poole was eight years old when she was awakened in the middle of a warm summer night in the late 1960s. Her family’s log cabin in Finlay Forks, a town north of Prince George, was about to be submerged by a suddenly forming reservoir that would rise until it became the largest lake in British Columbia, deeper than the Eiffel Tower is tall. The riverbank beside the house began falling away as water pulled at its edges. Her parents, siblings and her grandpa Isaac started to panic. “I could see my dad getting very scared for us,” she said. “We had to get the heck out of Dodge.”

May 5, 2022, 12:22 p.m.

https://www.niwrc.org/restoration-magazine/june-2020/mmiw-understanding-missing-and-murdered-indigenous-women-crisis

May 5, 2022, 1:01 p.m.

I am sure there is a reason for choosing May 5th for this day of awareness, but it is really a 180 from my usual May 5th activities.

May 5, 2022, 2:06 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I am sure there is a reason for choosing May 5th for this day of awareness, but it is really a 180 from my usual May 5th activities.

Maybe it doesn't matter what day it is, but simply that there's a day dedicated to bringing this issue to the forefront.

June 18, 2022, 10 a.m.

There's a land claim case winding it's way through the courts right now that is testing the precedent setting result from the 2014 Tsilhqot’in decision as well as the province’s Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act. This will undoubtedly have a significant affect on future land claims in BC.

https://thenarwhal.ca/nuchatlaht-title-case-evidence/

June 20, 2022, 9:16 a.m.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this case, but I can't see how Eby's litigation directives will ever work out if the courts side with the Nuchatlaht, which I think they will.  Any negotiated settlement will have to take non-natives future needs into account if the BC Government is going to represent us in any meaningful way, but the courts only have to look at land claims as they would in any land dispute with the return of the land and compensation for the 100+ years of resource extraction.  It's obvious that with UNDRIP as the legal backdrop going to court is almost always going to favour native claims more than a negotiated settlement so they will go that route if they can.  They would win the land and compensation outright without giving anything up in return.  The lawyer in this case is the one that warned everyone about the upcoming massive BC land transfer to natives through the courts and that still seems to be the likely outcome.

June 20, 2022, 9:22 a.m.

BC gov ignored Delgamuukw and got CGL past the point of no return in the very jurisdiction where the decision was won 

and  it would appear they are ignoring Tsil'cotin

June 20, 2022, 3:03 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

BC gov ignored Delgamuukw and got CGL past the point of no return in the very jurisdiction where the decision was won 

and  it would appear they are ignoring Tsil'cotin

This is why if I was First Nations I would go to court over land ownership over all else.

June 20, 2022, 8:28 p.m.

the FN did all that in Delgamuukw vs BC,  at this point most of the plaintiffs are dead or dying and BC is ignoring the law

June 21, 2022, 1:53 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

the FN did all that in Delgamuukw vs BC,  at this point most of the plaintiffs are dead or dying and BC is ignoring the law

The Delgamuukw case still has to go to another trial though.  Maybe that is why the government can get away with shenanigans.

July 23, 2022, 10:56 p.m.

So the pope is likely on Canadian soil right now, which leads me to some thing that has bothered me for some time .....and the only answer i ever got was this...

The promise of reparations (money) is stronger than the pain.

Why do so many first nations still devoutly adhere to christianity?

July 25, 2022, 10 a.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

So the pope is likely on Canadian soil right now, which leads me to some thing that has bothered me for some time .....and the only answer i ever got was this...

The promise of reparations (money) is stronger than the pain.

Why do so many first nations still devoutly adhere to christianity?

It gets a hold of your mind just like any other cult.  It is the same with blacks in the Americas.  It doesn't make any sense but it is hard for people to confront their belief system and decide to step away from something that is probably also a major linchpin in their social world.  Almost all religions make the path away from their teachings a difficult lonely journey.

July 25, 2022, 5:39 p.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/pope-francis-maskwacis-apology-full-text-1.6531341

Best to read it there, or watch the video.  Heavy shit, apologizing for your forefathers.

July 25, 2022, 6:17 p.m.

I watched it live. That war bonnet should have been a crown of thorns.