How much do you know about financial independence?

Dec. 10, 2014, 10:01 a.m.

^What spreadsheet do you recommend?

I sort of want to do this, and also don't as I know a ton of my money goes to stupid shit.

I just use MSExcel (or any generic spreadsheet). Download the .csv, import, sort (by retailer or expense amount), do some sums and cut and paste at will.

^Could be a solid option.

What is the catch? How can it be free?

They fund it by selling your data to the Black Helicopter people. (Not that I have anything against Black people or Helicopters)

Dec. 10, 2014, 10:28 a.m.

They fund it by selling your data to the Black Helicopter people. (Not that I have anything against Black people or Helicopters)

The back of my head knows its a huge risk giving all your access info to mint but intuit assures it's safe as a bank login.

Dec. 10, 2014, 10:39 a.m.

From http://investorjunkie.com/54/mint-com-review/ :

"How Does Mint.com Make Money?

The service is free to use, and there are no hidden fees; this is otherwise known as the freemium model. You might be asking, “How does Mint make money from this free service?”. Well, they make money by offering “ways to save” or make you money by recommending various financial services in which they get a referral fee. Additionally, you can now sign up for premium access to your credit report.

Mint also sells the aggregate (not your individual) financial data to various providers. Things like: consumer spending, the average credit card balance, how many retirement accounts a user may have, etc. It must be stressed, the data is collected anonymously and does not reference back to individual usage."

:canada: :czech:

Dec. 10, 2014, 4:32 p.m.

Welp, my bank isn't listed on mint, and I have no idea what any of my accounts are. :woot:

Back to planning surf and ski trips:lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 10, 2014, 5:28 p.m.

The real estate price run up has ruined everything. You guys that bought houses in early 2000's and have seen your values triple is like hitting the fu**ing lottery! So lucky.

No amount of budgeting or saving can make up that amount of money for those that are on the outside looking in. I'm fu**ed! Wife wants to buy an 850K home in port moody which means we'll have a mortgage until we're in our 60's. Disastrous. :crazy:

If you don't like it you can leave

Dec. 10, 2014, 7:02 p.m.

I did.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Dec. 10, 2014, 7:52 p.m.

for 850K I could get lake front/ dock/ really nice home 15min from main st, hell they would probably thro in the ski boat and actualy I would still have enough for the ski cabin

Dec. 10, 2014, 8:11 p.m.

maybe it's been mentioned already, but another tip is not spending money on extras or higher end products you just don't need. for example, not buying a pro level chainsaw if you're just doing occasional cutting for trail work or maintenance.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 10, 2014, 9:50 p.m.

for 850K I could get lake front/ dock/ really nice home 15min from main st, hell they would probably thro in the ski boat and actualy I would still have enough for the ski cabin

I don't think his place is for sale. Lol

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 11, 2014, 7:29 a.m.

Before trying to achieve it, you should learn how to spell it.

Libre? Libre como el vienta……

Dec. 11, 2014, 7:41 a.m.

, not buying a pro level chainsaw if you're just doing occasional cutting for trail work or maintenance.

Are you now or have you ever been a member of the communist party sir?

Dec. 11, 2014, 8:14 a.m.

It's good advice.

Go where you can make money. Wherever that is. And don't come back until you have enough for a house.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 11, 2014, 8:18 a.m.

850k and buddy would thro in the saw the dog the wife…

Dec. 11, 2014, 8:21 a.m.

I have a few term deposits in China that give me 6% annually. I don't know why Canadian banks are so stingy. Some banks will give up to 8% even if you deposit enough. If I wanted to stay here I could technically start living off interest in two years but that's only because I don't pay rent and beer is so cheap. I wouldn't really be able to buy anything or go anywhere but it would be possible.

I found when I stopped going to bars and restaurants and stopped caring about having nice clothes or upgrading bike parts for reasons unknown, money just started accumulating at a rate that surprised me.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 11, 2014, 8:26 a.m.

Actually I should be honest, my wife controls my money. I haven't even seen the card for where my salary gets deposited in over two years. She just gives me bits of beer money here and there and sometimes lets me buy things if I ask nicely.

She shows me the bank statements though, that keeps me happy.

www.natooke.com