How much do you know about financial independence?

April 29, 2021, 8:42 a.m.

I think any of it is like a mining stock from the old VSE days get in/ get out make real money

but no way do i think its a currencey cuz its just too volitile which btw is also how you make the $$$

if you can't tell who the patsy is in the poker game

its you

April 29, 2021, 9:10 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I think any of it is like a mining stock from the old VSE days get in/ get out make real money

but no way do i think its a currencey cuz its just too volitile which btw is also how you make the $$$

if you can't tell who the patsy is in the poker game

its you

Seems the only people that have lost buying ether or bitcoin since their existence are people who didn't hodl. Long term these assets have only moved in one direction the dips are just scarier.

April 29, 2021, 10:17 a.m.

It all comes down to if ETH is here to stay or not for your $3500...  Doesn't matter what you think will happen.  

I'm very certain most of the 3755 businesses in VTI will still be around, and the ones that die will get replaced with others.  Average and boring, I know.   I've never laid a chip on a gambling table either.

April 29, 2021, 11:14 a.m.

you can make money on bitcoin, just like you can make money on all kinds of investments, what I object to is calling it a currency

so ride it up,  get out at the right time  and let someone else take the fall

April 29, 2021, 12:02 p.m.

you can make money on bitcoin, just like you can make money on all kinds of investments, what I object to is calling it a currency

From my limited understanding it's not so much about the coins themselves. It's about the potential the technologies built around them have in areas like supply chain management, easy movement of capital and authentication. 

But then again I'm the intellectual equivelant of someone who eats crayons for fun so i might just be totally delusional.

April 29, 2021, 12:26 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

From my limited understanding it's not so much about the coins themselves. It's about the potential the technologies built around them have in areas like supply chain management, easy movement of capital and authentication.

In theory, yes, but instead people are creating crazy things like NFT sports trading cards, art, etc., further fueling speculative behaviour.

Last edited by: PaulB on April 29, 2021, 12:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 29, 2021, 12:29 p.m.

But then again I'm the intellectual equivelant of someone who eats crayons for fun so i might just be totally delusional.

Bitcoin was the first, but when it comes to the tech it is not the best.  I am just a casual observer and I wish all of you investors the best, but it seems like a risky ride to me.  Having said that, it is doing far better than I ever imagined.

May 10, 2021, 10:58 a.m.

ze german and a kiwi

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/05/10/the-structure-of-wealth-and-the-global-money-making-apparatus/

May 14, 2021, 8:31 p.m.

Buy low sell high, the game hasn't changed

May 17, 2021, 8:33 a.m.

Or sell low buy high.

Or build an options straddle across the strike price.

Or buy LEAPS call options and sell before expiry.

Or 

Or

Or ...

May 17, 2021, 9:43 a.m.

I just buy every month and hold. Index funds that is.

We just ran some numbers to see how much we'll need to be able to live off our investments. One of the things I discovered is that with some strategic withdrawing, we could be paying close to zero taxes once we reach that stage. How strange is that?

May 17, 2021, 10:04 a.m.

If you want to sleep at night yup indexed funds ^^ will out perform

there are all kinds of ways to make or lose money on the market

do you want to be "IN " the game, I know I don't have the attention span nor do I want to

May 17, 2021, 2:42 p.m.

"Index funds are a great way to get average returns" - Warren Buffet

May 17, 2021, 5:17 p.m.

or not lose it all depending on how you wana spin it,

who here can afford to lose it all and start again ?

May 17, 2021, 6 p.m.

Average market returns at zero effort are good enough for us. No need to get rich overnight or at all, we just need enough. We're early 40s and hope to live at least another 40, statistics say that the number of people who will consistently manage to get above average returns over that time period will be very very small, like 1%, so why bother.