How much do you know about financial independence?

Nov. 5, 2015, 10:03 a.m.

Speaking of which - it's mortgage renewal time. Haven't done any negotiations, no shopping - just a chat with the friendly neighborhood banker and got this from Scotia:

5yr variable - currently at .021
2yr fixed @ .0209.
5yr fixed @ .0259.

Who's got the best rates? In all honesty unless it is a .005 or better - I'll probably just stick with the good folks at Scotia as I have noticed some of the others make up their rates by tacking on fees. But I would like to get a few good rate quotes before I have my next chat with the suit.

Nov. 5, 2015, 10:34 a.m.

Speaking of which - it's mortgage renewal time. Haven't done any negotiations, no shopping - just a chat with the friendly neighborhood banker and got this from Scotia:

2yr fixed @ .0209.
5yr fixed @ .0259.

Who's got the best rates? In all honesty unless it is a .005 or better - I'll probably just stick with the good folks at Scotia as I have noticed some of the others make up their rates by tacking on fees. But I would like to get a few good rate quotes before I have my next chat with the suit.

Whenever mortgage renewal time comes up - I start following this site:
http://www.canadianmortgagetrends.com/

Generally able to figure out what the going rates are from some of their articles, and I think they have a rate comparison tool link somewhere as well.

The rates you've been quoted are pretty damn good… Can't believe the 5 yr fixed is actually lower than what I got 2 years ago.

Nov. 5, 2015, 10:37 a.m.

Cue the complainers…

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mortgage-pay-off-three-years-1.3302229

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mortgage-pay-off-tips-1.3304291

not borrowing money at less than the inflation rate would make me sad.

Nov. 5, 2015, 10:56 a.m.

2yr fixed @ .0209.
5yr fixed @ .0259.

Exactly the same rates that we got from Scotia when renewing end April this year. Went with 5y variable, watching the rate market and will convert to fixed if it threatens to spike.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 5, 2015, 11:55 a.m.

Cue the complainers…

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mortgage-pay-off-three-years-1.3302229

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mortgage-pay-off-tips-1.3304291

Where there's a will, there's a way.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 5, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

2yr fixed @ .0209.
5yr fixed @ .0259.

I would lock down the 5 year personally. US Fed might finally raise rates next month (yeah I know, this has been due for years now) which is going to impact fixed mortgage rates for sure.

The CBC articles are interesting. The fundamental problem is Canadians have used lower rates to increase leverage rather than pay down faster or save money for their portfolios. Cash strapped, no liquidity, crazy leverage. Sounds like a stressful financial plan to me.

Nov. 5, 2015, 8:15 p.m.

Due up March.. Hopefully rolling 1.95% till then. Been a good 4+ yrs.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Nov. 6, 2015, 7:53 a.m.

http://www.ratehub.ca/

2.38 5 year fixed
1.88 5 year variable

Ho Lee Chit

That's free money right there.

Nov. 6, 2015, 9:07 a.m.

^ shite - I have to go buy something.

Some real cheap mineral properties out there right now.

Nov. 6, 2015, 10:15 a.m.

Canadians have used lower rates to increase leverage rather than pay down faster or save money for their portfolios. Cash strapped, no liquidity, crazy leverage. Sounds like a stressful financial plan to me.

How about using leverage (i.e. the equity in your apartment/house) to top up your RRSP/TFSA? I've done this during the last couple of mortgage renewals.

Nov. 6, 2015, 10:19 a.m.

How about using leverage (i.e. the equity in your apartment/house) to top up your RRSP/TFSA? I've done this during the last couple of mortgage renewals.

smart move if especially if you can sock it into your rrsp and you have income in the new high tax bracket

Nov. 6, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

With 2.5% dividend yield in my TFSA holdings (VSB/VCN), I can't see how borrowing at a higher or similar rate could be a good plan.

I'd rather become debt free then max out the tax free/deferred accounts.

Nov. 6, 2015, 11:28 a.m.

Whenever I hear the dire predictions about the state of the nations debt - I wonder how many of these are really dire cases and how many are simply rational decisions made on the basis of cheap money.

The Mrs and I have leveraged the homestead 5 times now-
- Once to purchase the first one (doubled in price in 5 years - so I would say a good investment)
- Once to pay off student loans (again far cheaper money - so a positive investment)
- Once to build the home we plan to stay in until damn near dead (instant equity on getting the occupancy permit - so far so good)
- Once to buy into a business (again - so far so good, seems to be feeding the family)
- Once to make the down payment on the construction of a commercial property (steady rent, nice location, great tenant- here is hoping).

Sure, the market could crash. Interest rates could go up. In the meantime, we have created a great deal of equity far faster than we would have if we hadn't made use of the ability to leverage the home.

Although - we should have the home paid off in 5-7 and that will feel amazing. (until we find something else that catches our attention I suppose).

Nov. 6, 2015, 11:48 a.m.

With 2.5% dividend yield in my TFSA holdings (VSB/VCN), I can't see how borrowing at a higher or similar rate could be a good plan.

I'd rather become debt free then max out the tax free/deferred accounts.

So your expecting no equity growth in your stocks?

Nov. 6, 2015, 11:56 a.m.

Not in my Canadian index over the next two months. Already socking away 35% of my gross without borrowing and itll be at least 65% of my gross starting February.

That explains why I'm not burning 2-smoke, eh…