How long until this shit is rampant in Canada?

Nov. 5, 2014, 8:08 p.m.

I'm pretty sure that homeless people choose the lifestyle because of the free food.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 5, 2014, 8:11 p.m.

If we add up the cost to society of the other end of the spectrum of the above, I'd bet both of my daughters and my downhill bike that it would dwarf the cost of the above. Monstrously.

i don't doubt that, but how do you convince the populous that this is a good thing?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2014, 8:40 p.m.

Of course handing out free lunches and dinners is cheaper than solving the problem. Band-aids usually are,
Re-establishing our mental health facilities, creating proper social housing that is not in the shittiest neighbourhoods in town, helping people establish themselves…these things cost money. I believe they are cheaper in the long run though.

:canada: :swiss:

Nov. 5, 2014, 8:41 p.m.

i don't doubt that, but how do you convince the populous that this is a good thing?

In my opinion, only populaces who practice self-enlightenment would be able to get there. Given that, we're stuck waiting on the generation we force enlightenment upon. Seeing the changes we're making there (This Science Class brought to you by Chevron), it's not looking too good either.

Nov. 5, 2014, 8:54 p.m.

In my opinion, only populaces who practice self-enlightenment would be able to get there. Given that, we're stuck waiting on the generation we force enlightenment upon. Seeing the changes we're making there (This Science Class brought to you by Chevron), it's not looking too good either.

lol spelling error (mine).

the shame of it all is we're theoretically smart enough to do the right thing, but just can't find the will to do it.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2014, 9:57 p.m.

That's pretty sad.

Nov. 5, 2014, 11:44 p.m.

Of course handing out free lunches and dinners is cheaper than solving the problem. Band-aids usually are,
Re-establishing our mental health facilities, creating proper social housing that is not in the shittiest neighbourhoods in town, helping people establish themselves…these things cost money. I believe they are cheaper in the long run though.

I believe the Ontario government is doing some kind of trial currently to reopen some mental health facilities.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 6, 2014, 3:23 a.m.

What about people who choose to be homeless? Can't we just let them be homeless and toss 'em a free meal here and there?

All the homeless guys that used to raid the bins behind the bike shop seemed pretty happy.

www.natooke.com

Nov. 6, 2014, 6:36 a.m.

creating proper social housing that is not in the shittiest neighbourhoods in town

They tried that in Australia, all it led to was good areas becoming good areas with a cancerous growth smack bang in the middle of it, we had an area not 5 mins drive from my house where there were $1.5m homes and then one or two streets along there was housing commission dwellings. Which just ended in the $1.5m homes losing value and crime spreading out from the HC.

Nov. 6, 2014, 1:04 p.m.

They tried that in Australia, all it led to was good areas becoming good areas with a cancerous growth smack bang in the middle of it, we had an area not 5 mins drive from my house where there were $1.5m homes and then one or two streets along there was housing commission dwellings. Which just ended in the $1.5m homes losing value and crime spreading out from the HC.

I can see how this would be a problem, and to be completely honest, who actually wants social housing in their neighbourhood? There have been experiments in Colorado and other cities in the US where they converted prisons into social housing and charged people 30% of their income to live there. There were something like 85 residents and of those, only 15 had to be asked to leave. I guess there are rules.

The end result of the experiment was that the city saved millions of dollars in the form of less emergency room visits and lowered crime. Plus, I think it gives people a sense of purpose and stability. Imagine living in homeless shelters where you have to be out every day by noon, come back in the evening, can't cook your own meals, store any of your worldly possessions. How do you get your life together like that?

And yes, I believe some people do choose to be homeless, but why should we cater to those people with free meals if that's the choice they've made? I realize that remark will enflame some of you, but really, at the basic root of it, it's true. We are all responsible for the choices we make in life.

I have no problem helping someone who is down on their luck, but when it becomes a lifestyle that's when I draw the line.

Nov. 6, 2014, 1:37 p.m.

Seems no one in Canada has heard of this project,

http://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/English/initiatives-and-projects/home

http://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/English/document/33196/toronto-final-report-homechez-soi-project

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/at-home-chez-soi-report-proves-success-of-housing-first-1.2674543

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 6, 2014, 5:18 p.m.

And yes, I believe some people do choose to be homeless, but why should we cater to those people with free meals if that's the choice they've made? I realize that remark will enflame some of you, but really, at the basic root of it, it's true. We are all responsible for the choices we make in life.

jeez it's just soup and a sandwich, who cares?

www.natooke.com

Nov. 6, 2014, 5:46 p.m.

I can see how this would be a problem, and to be completely honest, who actually wants social housing in their neighbourhood? There have been experiments in Colorado and other cities in the US where they converted prisons into social housing and charged people 30% of their income to live there. There were something like 85 residents and of those, only 15 had to be asked to leave. I guess there are rules.

The end result of the experiment was that the city saved millions of dollars in the form of less emergency room visits and lowered crime. Plus, I think it gives people a sense of purpose and stability. Imagine living in homeless shelters where you have to be out every day by noon, come back in the evening, can't cook your own meals, store any of your worldly possessions. How do you get your life together like that?

I have no problem helping someone who is down on their luck, but when it becomes a lifestyle that's when I draw the line.

personally i think it's a fair question to ask and don't think you should get flammed for it.

i believe that there will be some people of sound mind and body who when given the option to be housed and fed for free will choose that over working to support themselves. i also believe though, that if given the right opportunities most people of sound mind and body will choose to support themselves. the reason we want to support these programs is so that homeless people have that opportunity to create a life for themselves.

unfortunately as a society we may have to carry some people longer than they deserve, but like Reductimat said the net cost of that will be less that what we are dealing with now.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 6, 2014, 5:56 p.m.

This.

Thread killer

Nov. 6, 2014, 6:50 p.m.

jeez it's just soup and a sandwich, who cares?

It's more than just a free meal. It's a statement that we (the public) accept and support the homeless person's situation.
It is a concession on our part that there is no other solution.
It is something we do in order to make ourselves feel better, that we tried to help.
It's an action of enabling.
It keeps homeless people in a never-ending loop of shelters and free meals.
There is a better way.
I believe that humans fundamentally need and want to be part of society, to be productive and not a burden.