How long until this shit is rampant in Canada?

Nov. 5, 2014, 6:58 p.m.

I say ten to fifteen years.

Prison threat for 90-year old who fed Florida homeless

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:26 p.m.

I say ten to fifteen years.

Prison threat for 90-year old who fed Florida homeless

reading that article i kept checking to see if this was some sort of spoof from the onion or something like that.

i like to think that wouldn't happen here, but bureaucracy is getting worse all the time.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:28 p.m.

i like to think that wouldn't happen here, but bureaucracy is getting worse all the time.

Not bureaucracy, we're turning on ourselves.

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:29 p.m.

Syncro, that's exactly what I did too.

Examining 187 major cities across the country, the study found that more than half had laws banning sitting or lying down in public – a rise of 43 per cent since 2011.

Wow

:canada: :swiss:

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:34 p.m.

well it looks like we're actually not all that far behind.

last week there was a news item in surrey about a meal program for the homeless being told to pack it in, but i can't find a link to the story. i did find another connected story though:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1649101/couple-squatting-on-south-surrey-land-vow-to-fight-eviction/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:37 p.m.

Not bureaucracy, we're turning on ourselves.

some of us maybe, but not all of us. i think one of the main reasons that's happening though is the glacial pace of change on these issues. actually, that's not correct. with the current state of glaciers and polar ice they're moving faster than the government's ability to deal with social issues.

ps - fuck you harper.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:38 p.m.

well it looks like we're actually not all that far behind.

last week there was a news item in surrey about a meal program for the homeless being told to pack it in, but i can't find a link to the story. i did find another connected story though:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1649101/couple-squatting-on-south-surrey-land-vow-to-fight-eviction/

You mean this one?

http://globalnews.ca/news/1617246/organizers-of-surrey-soup-kitchen-given-the-cold-shoulder-over-thanksgiving-weekend/

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:43 p.m.

You mean this one?

http://globalnews.ca/news/1617246/organizers-of-surrey-soup-kitchen-given-the-cold-shoulder-over-thanksgiving-weekend/

yeah that one. weird that none of my search terms brought it up.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:45 p.m.

You mean this one?

As OP I get to change my initial guess to three years.

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:48 p.m.

in the story from Surrey, it seems like the Legion didn't want the soup kitchen there. They were tired of the disrespect…people crapping at their front door, leaving garbage and needles everywhere,
Can't really blame them for not wanting that, neither would I.

:canada: :swiss:

yeah that one. weird that none of my search terms brought it up.

It was one of the related links at the bottom of the article you did find ;)

You mean this one?

So simply the private property owner had allowed it but got tired of issues. And doing as each individual Legion hall does…meeting and vote is taken. The vote ended with the soup kitchen no longer being allowed to operate there. City seems willing to allow them to continue on vacant lot.

Sounds more like the soup kitchen organizers didn't check with the Legion first and simply assumed they had permission.

The Legion says it supports the group’s work, but they are tired of the aftermath.

A spokesperson told Global News, “The problem has been getting worse and worse. The people are aggressive. They’re defecating at the front door. There are needles and so much garbage.”

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:54 p.m.

in the story from Surrey, it seems like the Legion didn't want the soup kitchen there. They were tired of the disrespect…people crapping at their front door, leaving garbage and needles everywhere,
Can't really blame them for not wanting that, neither would I.

true, i agree with that - it's the other side of the coin. that's the ugly side of dealing with homeless/poverty issues. the question that comes from that is how do we deal with people that are happy to just get by on handouts and have no incentive to take care of themselves? how often/long does someone get a free lunch for?

Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:56 p.m.

It was one of the related links at the bottom of the article you did find ;)

well ffs.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 5, 2014, 7:59 p.m.

how often/long does someone get a free lunch for?

If we add up the cost to society of the other end of the spectrum of the above, I'd bet both of my daughters and my downhill bike that it would dwarf the cost of the above. Monstrously.