Hostage!

Jan. 15, 2019, 6:24 a.m.

Most Canadians don't try to smuggle 220kgs of meth over there either.

Yeah I don't like the death penalty but it's a pretty common penalty for smuggling large amounts of drugs in China. They executed a guy from the UK a few years back for smuggling in a kilo of heroin, not to mention how many of their own citizens get executed for drugs. For 220 kg of meth the death penalty is par for the course and China is far from the only country with this kind of backwards zero tolerance policy.

This guy knew the risks. He was attempting the big dirty, get rich or die trying.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 15, 2019, 6:26 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 15, 2019, 7:53 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Yeah I don't like the death penalty but it's a pretty common penalty for smuggling large amounts of drugs in China. They executed a guy from the UK a few years back for smuggling in a kilo of heroin, not to mention how many of their own citizens get executed for drugs. For 220 kg of meth the death penalty is par for the course and China is far from the only country with this kind of backwards zero tolerance policy.

This guy knew the risks. He was attempting the big dirty, get rich or die trying.

For sure a dumb ass move. It's just hard not to think the punishment change was not politically motivated.

How are our other guys that were arrested doing I wonder?

Jan. 15, 2019, 11:30 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

For sure a dumb ass move. It's just hard not to think the punishment change was not politically motivated.

Out of the 11 that were detained in December, 9 of them have been released already as their crimes were minor.

Jan. 15, 2019, 1:33 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Government organizations in Canada do not share data by law.

The CRA had to sue the CBSA in order to obtain data they possessed on money launderers from the Big Circle Gang. You've probably never heard of them because ... yellow fever?

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/2164782/revealed-how-canada-border-agency-tried-conceal

Provincial Ministry's need 348 meetings before data can be shared between them. (My job is there).

A totalitarian government who has implemented social credit score has NO FUCKING PROBLEM SHARING DATA WITH ANYONE WHEN THEY OWN THE IN'S AND OUT'S OF ALL OF THE INTERNET.

To compare the Five Eye's handling of data with China shows a complete lack of understanding of how things work.

* If you see something I type that seems weird, highlight it, then click the "Search Google". If you are still struggling call me at home.

So you mean if Canada was more like China we would have been able stop the five eye money laundering a lot more easily?

You keep confusing intelligence agencies with standard government agencies.

Sharing information between vanilla agencies takes a LOT of effort.  Working with personally identifiable information WITHIN an agency requires a lot of signed documents and these government employees are watched in many different ways to ensure they aren't abusing their position.

Sharing information from a first-world countries intelligence agency is a NON FUCKING STARTER.  For them to integrate that information for the ends they seek would either force them to admit to its illegality, or for them engage in parallel construction.  Does it happen?  You bet.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180110/14482038982/report-shows-us-law-enforcement-routinely-engages-parallel-construction.shtml

Please tell me the Chinese go through the VERY EXPENSIVE hoops I've laid out above.

Now that you've come to my side on this particular issue, can we now address quoting the Chinese Government media as sources of fact?

Jan. 15, 2019, 6 p.m.

Government organizations in Canada do not share data by law.

The CRA had to sue the CBSA in order to obtain data they possessed on money launderers from the Big Circle Gang. You've probably never heard of them because ... yellow fever?

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/2164782/revealed-how-canada-border-agency-tried-conceal

Provincial Ministry's need 348 meetings before data can be shared between them. (My job is there).

A totalitarian government who has implemented social credit score has NO FUCKING PROBLEM SHARING DATA WITH ANYONE WHEN THEY OWN THE IN'S AND OUT'S OF ALL OF THE INTERNET.

To compare the Five Eye's handling of data with China shows a complete lack of understanding of how things work.

* If you see something I type that seems weird, highlight it, then click the "Search Google". If you are still struggling call me at home.

So you mean if Canada was more like China we would have been able stop the five eye money laundering a lot more easily?

You keep confusing intelligence agencies with standard government agencies.

Sharing information between vanilla agencies takes a LOT of effort.  Working with personally identifiable information WITHIN an agency requires a lot of signed documents and these government employees are watched in many different ways to ensure they aren't abusing their position.

Sharing information from a first-world countries intelligence agency is a NON FUCKING STARTER.  For them to integrate that information for the ends they seek would either force them to admit to its illegality, or for them engage in parallel construction.  Does it happen?  You bet.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180110/14482038982/report-shows-us-law-enforcement-routinely-engages-parallel-construction.shtml

Please tell me the Chinese go through the VERY EXPENSIVE hoops I've laid out above.

Now that you've come to my side on this particular issue, can we now address quoting the Chinese Government media as sources of fact?

I don't recall doing that. I relayed my anecdotal knowledge of the alleged internment camps I got from my friend who studied at one. Other than that I tried to provide examples of articles critical towards the government on Chinese internet. The other claim I made is there hes been no real increase in the number of Canadians detained in China since the huawei debacle.

Jan. 16, 2019, 1:27 p.m.

Out of the 11 that were detained in December, 9 of them have been released already as their crimes were minor.

Whats a minor crime in China that gets a detainment and no charge?

Didnt Canada just stop 'carding'?

Jan. 16, 2019, 1:34 p.m.

So Hauwei breaks a few international rules and sanctions and China gets pissy about its princess being detained on house arrest in Canada. She's still free, just not to leave the Country. You should really ask why is that so egregious to China and you cant see a difference between that and the Canadians detained in China?

Hauwei exec didnt know the risks or just didnt think they'd be caught? Why does China get a pass? I'm sure you cant defend all of China's military and naval actions - building islands and army bases in the South China Sea and telling the world to fuck off as they re-integrate Taiwan and will not stand for any interference in that matter?

Ya that doesnt sound reminiscent of Anschluss and the Rhineland or anything.

Jan. 16, 2019, 4:23 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

So Hauwei breaks a few international rules and sanctions and China gets pissy about its princess being detained on house arrest in Canada. She's still free, just not to leave the Country. You should really ask why is that so egregious to China and you cant see a difference between that and the Canadians detained in China?

Hauwei exec didnt know the risks or just didnt think they'd be caught? Why does China get a pass? I'm sure you cant defend all of China's military and naval actions - building islands and army bases in the South China Sea and telling the world to fuck off as they re-integrate Taiwan and will not stand for any interference in that matter?

Ya that doesnt sound reminiscent of Anschluss and the Rhineland or anything.

Does Canada have sanctions against Iran as well? If not then this is a bogus extradition we shouldn't have gotten involved in. What Canadian crimes has she been charged with? The Canadians in China all violated Chinese law in China. The minor offenders have all been released while the three who are accused of more serious crimes are obviously still there. Where is the actual statistical indication that China is ramping up pressure on Canadians there? More than 60,000 Canadians are living in China now and in case you didn't notice most white people living in China are assholes or idiots or both most of the time. 11 getting arrested in a month is really not that nuts and if they did the same shit here most of them would still get arrested. Yeah China is tuff on crime but when you're dealing with 1.4 billion people the game changes.

Can you defend the fact that China is literally surrounded by American military bases? Would you like to have a large island off the coast of Canada that Chinese nuclear capable warships could park at it and land and launch planes and missiles and shit or would you possibly lean towards wanting to integrate them into Canada if at all possible, what if all the people there looked like you and spoke English and shit and were what remained of the Chinese funded government that fought our current government for 20 years in a bloody civil war?

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 16, 2019, 4:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 16, 2019, 4:44 p.m.

It's also worth mentioning that this isn't the first time a Chinese citizen has been arrested in Canada, it's happened plenty of times. This just happens to be the first time they've gotten pissed off about it because the motives behind it are purely political.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 16, 2019, 4:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 17, 2019, 5:21 a.m.

60 000 Canadians in China, I wonder how many Chinese are here? how many of those I wonder are involved in crime? and how many of them do the Chinese government give a shit about? my guess would be only the rich ones.

Jan. 17, 2019, 5:44 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

60 000 Canadians in China, I wonder how many Chinese are here? how many of those I wonder are involved in crime? and how many of them do the Chinese government give a shit about? my guess would be only the rich ones.

Your guess is wrong. The Chinese government would very much like to recover all the corrupt laundered money that we let get in here so easily. They have strict rules about money leaving the country, 50 000 USD a year is the max for Chinese citizens so many of them are already breaking Chinese law by bringing millions over.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 17, 2019, 4:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 17, 2019, 5:47 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Whats a minor crime in China that gets a detainment and no charge?

Didnt Canada just stop 'carding'?

Drunk and disorderly, vandalism, drug possession, etc... Number one crime foreigners commit is working on tourist visas, 80% of foreignera in Chinese prison are there for letting their visas expire and just going off the grid entirely for a year or so, all while making buckets of non-taxable cash giving lousy English lessons 

For most crimes their go-to is hold for a few days then deport as they don't like the negative press.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 17, 2019, 4:03 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 17, 2019, 7:21 p.m.

Your guess is wrong. The Chinese government would very much like to recover all the corrupt laundered money that we let get in here so easily. They have strict rules about money leaving the country, 50 000 USD a year is the max for Chinese citizens so many of them are already breaking Chinese law by bringing millions over.

I would hazard a guess that laundering money is one of many crimes. I wouldn't think that the Chinese government gives two shits about the individual, more like the money.

Jan. 17, 2019, 8:33 p.m.

Given the information they have access to, they could shut it down if they truly wanted.

Jan. 17, 2019, 8:33 p.m.

Given the information they have access to, they could shut it down if they truly wanted.