Hostage!

Dec. 31, 2018, 11:39 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

How many are or were arrested in retaliation for arresting a Chinese national?

My guess is none.

Ok good. Glad to know either the Canadian media just started reporting on Canadians being arrested in China or China just coincidentally started arresting Canadians after the Hauwei exec was arrested. Life's funny like that.

China has been arresting Canadians at a rate of about 3 a week for the last 10 years. Mostly drunk and disorderly tourists who think once they're in Asia they can behave however they want.

Our media just started reporting on it to draw attention away from the fact that we fucked up.

There are about 60 000 Canadians living in China at the moment.

3 per week is 156 a year by 10 years is over 15,600 Canadians in Chinese detention.

You have any idea what the terms are for a drunk and disorderly in China?

Last edited by: aShogunNamedMarcus on Dec. 31, 2018, 11:40 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 1, 2019, 8:38 a.m.

Most are released after a couple of days. If you hadn't noticed they already released that English teacher.

Did you think every transgression resulted in 20 years hard labor?

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 1, 2019, 8:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2019, 6:29 a.m.

Because I love China. Not their government so much but even they aren't half as bad as our biased media portrays them.

That and it bugs me when people talk about Xinjiang without knowing any actual Uyghur people or anything about the place or its history.

I'm basically Tungsten but for China instead of Russia

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 2, 2019, 6:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2019, 1:16 p.m.

Whoa! Careful there homie. lol...

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 2, 2019, 1:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2019, 8:25 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Whoa! Careful there homie. lol...

True I don't copy and paste as much as you but copying and translating articles on a phone and copying and pasting the translations is too much work

Jan. 3, 2019, 7:01 a.m.

I'm basically Tungsten but for China instead of Russia

I get that same impression.

Jan. 3, 2019, 4:46 p.m.

Yeah, nah. This would be true if Tungsten just copied and pasted Fox News.

If T was posting what he does in China he’d be disappeared.

Jan. 3, 2019, 8:11 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Yeah, nah. This would be true if Tungsten just copied and pasted Fox News.

If T was posting what he does in China he’d be disappeared.

No he wouldn't. Du Daobin hasn't disappeared. He has been out of prison for the last 8 years and continues to write critical articles that are easily searchable on Chinese google.  And he's only one example out of many similar personalities there. I've spent many hours of many days browsing weibo and other Chinese social media, seeing what people are openly discussing. Have you?

Jan. 3, 2019, 8:20 p.m.

I lol at the language people use when talking about China too. Anytime we report on someone being arrested over there we use words like "detained" or "disappeared" so we assume that human rights are being violated and the arrested person couldn't possibly be deserving of legal consequences for their actions. 

I've seen how most white people behave in China so when I hear about one being arrested I usually assume that their poor decisions and behavior put them in that situation. 

Because y'know when we send our people over there we aren't always sending our best. Some are drug dealers, some are rapists, some I assume are nice people. Maybe China should consider banning all Canadians from entering until they can figure out what the hell is going on.

Jan. 3, 2019, 9:16 p.m.

You keep using Chinese media sources as truth. I use no sources of North American sources as truth.

The country you currently live in has to surreptitiously draft a parallel version of truth if they want to use the information gained from illegal practices (like stingrays).

China has implemented a countrywide firewall and inspects all data crossing its networks (and I have excluded discussion on how China and Russia compromise the naivety of the underlying internet infrastructure to capture nearly all traffic at their whim).  You still have zero idea or appetite to understand what this means.

Jan. 3, 2019, 9:43 p.m.

I don't use Chinese media sources as truth. I was just trying to demonstrate that not all media in China is controlled by the state and you can in fact easily chinese google journalism that is critical of the CCP within China.

You originally denied this was possible and now seem to be changing the subject.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Jan. 3, 2019, 9:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 3, 2019, 9:50 p.m.

I don't use Chinese media sources as truth. I was just trying to demonstrate that not all media in China is controlled by the state and you can in fact easily chinese google journalism that is critical of the CCP within China.

You originally denied this was possible and now seem to be changing the subject.

Posted by: ReductiMat

China has implemented a countrywide firewall and inspects all data crossing its networks (and I have excluded discussion on how China and Russia compromise the naivety of the underlying internet infrastructure to capture nearly all traffic at their whim).  You still have zero idea or appetite to understand what this means.

Jan. 4, 2019, 8:46 a.m.

Don't all superpowers monitor internet traffic though?

Jan. 4, 2019, 11:33 a.m.

The American Patriot Act is a joke compared to the Chinese "dissent" law.

Jan. 4, 2019, 5:15 p.m.

Don't all superpowers monitor internet traffic though?

I’ve addressed this “point” every time I used The Great Firewall to support my position.

You have no interest in understanding it.