Honda Element mech

Sept. 4, 2019, 8:56 p.m.

Hi all. Just picked up a used Element (yeah, I know, it's kinda ugly) and am wondering if any Element owners out there can recommend a good mechanic, preferably on the Shore, who is familiar with the E's quirks.  Thanks!

Sept. 4, 2019, 11:53 p.m.

I've taken mine to Everbloom on Clark for the last few years, always been happy with the service. I haven't had any uniquely element-y problems and it's not on the shore so this probably isn't that useful...

Sept. 5, 2019, 8:20 a.m.

Richard at RJD motors.

1485 Rupert St, North Vancouver, BC V7J 1G1

Not the cheapest but super honest and known in the MTB community.

Sept. 5, 2019, 2:12 p.m.

Despite my last dealership experience, I'd still recommend at least getting a quote for the same jobs from the people who wrote the book on your vehicle.

Sept. 5, 2019, 8:08 p.m.

Thanks for the input guys. RJD motors sounds promising. 

And yeah, the dealership would know the car well. I've just had such hit or miss experiences with dealerships in the past.

Sept. 5, 2019, 9:08 p.m.

Campus Honda provided the worst mechanic work and service I ever got on my element.

They’re pretty straightforward vehicles, and many mechanics are quite familiar with them as they’re basically the same as a CRV, which are super common.

Get an adjustable camber kit for the rear, the suspension sags quickly and you’ll destroy tires if you leave it. Other than that mine was bulletproof (aside from the brake work that resulted from Campus neglecting to maintain them properly) for 250 abusive k’s.

Best car I ever owned. Amazing outdoor vehicle.  They look a lot better with AT’s, racks and scratches than stock.

Last edited by: tashi on Sept. 5, 2019, 9:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 6, 2019, 8:03 a.m.

Posted by: Link

Hi all. Just picked up a used Element (yeah, I know, it's kinda ugly) and am wondering if any Element owners out there can recommend a good mechanic, preferably on the Shore, who is familiar with the E's quirks.  Thanks!

Tell us more. AWD? Mileage? Always kinda wanted one, great utility vehicle. As Tashi said above , I assume they are super easy to work on.

Sept. 6, 2019, 3:12 p.m.

Appreciate the tip, Tashi. I'll look into the camber kit.

What I picked up is a 2006 EX AWD, auto trans, with a little over 200k on it. The high-ish kilometres make me a little nervous but it has a clean history, and research on the googles tells me that people commonly put 300k+ *miles* on their E's. I always kinda wanted one too so decided to take the plunge. If I can get a 100k or so on it without major issues I'll be happy.

Super practical. Bikes and surfboards fit in the car. Don't have to worry about mud and sand with the vinyl floor. I've seen some pretty cool camper conversions too.

Sept. 6, 2019, 10:46 p.m.

I have the same year/model, it's been good to me. Also looked into conversions, but decided against it -- they pretty much all cut down on headroom by raising the floor, and since there are two of us in the back its already pretty tight. I ended up just measuring the back and picking up something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Milliard-Tri-Fold-Folding-Mattress-Guests/dp/B00NB2NOJI/ref=sr_1_7?crid=QEFES4L2799D&keywords=foldable+mattress&qid=1567834797&s=gateway&sprefix=foldable+m%2Caps%2C295&sr=8-7 (not this exact one, but one that looks pretty similar).

Super easy and low commitment, relatively low cost. We use it a lot in the winter for ski trips, zero complaints so far.

Sept. 9, 2019, 3:11 p.m.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like a good alternative to the conversion route.