Homebrew

June 2, 2014, 9:47 p.m.

So rad Connor, well done!

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

June 4, 2014, 2:23 p.m.

Very Very cool Connor! I am going to try and hunt it down at St Aug!

June 24, 2014, 12:11 a.m.

Still no brew date.. Brewers are worse than mtbers . I did just tap a Kolsch I made. (Bottled 6ga, kegged 6ga.) It's pretty tasty. Lagered in a keg for 3weeks In my kegerator.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

July 8, 2014, 1:41 p.m.

anyone with experience souring mash/wort? i want to dabble in sours, but lack patience. seems straightforward enough - toss in a handful of crushed grain, maintain a 110ish temp [HTML_REMOVED] o2-free environment, and let sit for a couple-ish days until adequate naturally occurring lacto has developed, then pitch yeast (optional precautionary boil beforehand). sounds like fun.

July 8, 2014, 4:42 p.m.

anyone with experience souring mash/wort? i want to dabble in sours, but lack patience. seems straightforward enough - toss in a handful of crushed grain, maintain a 110ish temp [HTML_REMOVED] o2-free environment, and let sit for a couple-ish days until adequate naturally occurring lacto has developed, then pitch yeast (optional precautionary boil beforehand). sounds like fun.

Why not buy bugs, just like yeast and do it the easy way?

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

July 8, 2014, 5:03 p.m.

Why not buy bugs, just like yeast and do it the easy way?

Impatience. May end up doing a Flanders or bruin with something like a roeselare yeast blend to sit on for a year, but want to dabble with something quick right now. Maybe something summer-y like a berliner weisse even.

July 8, 2014, 5:48 p.m.

Impatience. May end up doing a Flanders or bruin with something like a roeselare yeast blend to sit on for a year, but want to dabble with something quick right now. Maybe something summer-y like a berliner weisse even.

So a direct infection from grain into wort is faster than pitching from a package. ( I don't know alot about sours, my taste buds haven't come around to it yet)

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

July 8, 2014, 8:06 p.m.

The roselaer blend is reasonably quick. But so was my open fermented batch that's been sitting on oak for a few months now. I think it needs some cherries..

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

July 8, 2014, 10:17 p.m.

So a direct infection from grain into wort is faster than pitching from a package. ( I don't know alot about sours, my taste buds haven't come around to it yet)

i believe it's the same timing (~2-3 days), just that the naturally ocurring lacto bugs on the grain get the job done for free. once adequate lactic acid is developed, you pitch your regular yeast, and you've got a passable sour within a couple weeks. interestingly, you don't even have to boil a berliner weiss - sour the mash, then pitch yeast. crazy stuff.

July 8, 2014, 11:02 p.m.

I'm intrigued…

July 9, 2014, 6:12 a.m.

i believe it's the same timing (~2-3 days), just that the naturally ocurring lacto bugs on the grain get the job done for free. once adequate lactic acid is developed, you pitch your regular yeast, and you've got a passable sour within a couple weeks. interestingly, you don't even have to boil a berliner weiss - sour the mash, then pitch yeast. crazy stuff.

So you're cheap! I can totally get behind this…. cheers!

I had a tasting of Storm's Flanders red on a brewery tour, that's some different stuff to say the least. Enjoyed it but wouldn't want alot of it.

July 9, 2014, 9:47 a.m.

We did this method with 11gal back in February. It was our first time and we were nervous so we only let it sit for 18-20 hours before we boiled. It did sour but not as much as we hoped. We split it into 3 primary's: 1 on peach puree, one on frozen raspberries and one as is. They taste good but again, wish we would have left it to sour for 48 hours.

The raspberry sour got an awesome pelicle on it (see photos)!

July 9, 2014, 9:49 a.m.

james' flanders is good, but pretty aggressive, yes. i'm aiming for something a bit more drinkable.

July 25, 2014, 8:24 a.m.

If anyone's interested, there's a homebrew demonstration happening this weekend out in Maple Ridge at the 'Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows Country Fest' at Albion Fairgrounds.
http://www.mrpmcountryfest.com/

We'll be included as part of the backyard farming exhibit along with apple pressing, backyard chickens, beekeeping, growing mushrooms, etc. Should be good times and weather is supposed to be great. Come say hi.

July 25, 2014, 12:04 p.m.

We did this method with 11gal back in February. It was our first time and we were nervous so we only let it sit for 18-20 hours before we boiled. It did sour but not as much as we hoped. We split it into 3 primary's: 1 on peach puree, one on frozen raspberries and one as is. They taste good but again, wish we would have left it to sour for 48 hours.

The raspberry sour got an awesome pelicle on it (see photos)!

did you do anything special to keep temps up when souring? sounds like 120f is the happy place for lacto; was thinking about using a heating blanket.

just did a saison using backyard hops [HTML_REMOVED] raspberries; next up will be a sour something…